What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What do you mean by that?
The kids started to complain that their game on the PS4 is lagging ;)

I've also noticed that on my laptop suddenly would loose the wifi connection (or the connection would just freeze)
It says it's connected but you can't even access the router/default route (using the web GUI)
If I try a PC with a wired connection at the same time it all works fine.

I had to restart my router 3 times yesterday...it works for a few hours and then gets unusable.

Went back to RT-AC68U_374.43_36E4j9527 this morning and since then everything is stable again.

I've also noticed that on my laptop suddenly would loose the wifi connection (or the connection would just freeze)
This has been happening to me but I thought it was just me. [emoji3]

My devices will show a connection but no data flows for maybe a half minute, then it resumes. I can recover more quickly if I disconnect and reconnect WiFi.

I haven’t tried rolling back FW. Like I said, I thought it was something to do with my devices or setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Anyone else having wifi problems with 374.43_36EAj9527?

I came from RT-AC68U_374.43_36E4j9527 and even did full factory default reset but have problems with wifi clients freezing or having poor wifi performance?

Any hints?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Nothing changed between those releases that would affect the wireless....

Nothing changed between those releases that would affect the wireless...
The kids started to complain that their game on the PS4 is lagging
Never use the PS4 to gauge network performance. The WiFi card in many if not most of those is terrible and you can’t have a good WiFi experience, full stop. Either plug in the Ethernet cable or accept that you’re going to have a shaky experience. Those are the two choices. Also, the way the PlayStation network distributes (AWS and others) means you get a good connection one minute and a bad one the next, even inside of one single file transfer. This part of the problem is fixable using dnsmasq or a proxy, there are many threads across the internet on that matter.

In the ongoing quest to understand DoT and DNSSEC ...
  • I've found that the setting in getdns (dnssec_return_only_secure) is really like a 'super-strict-mode'. It doesn't tolerate ANY misconfiguration of DNSSSEC at all. Many common sites fail with it set, including this site, snbforums.com. (@RMerlin, your site, asuswrt.lostrealm.ca, still works in this super-strict mode :))
  • So the current getdns/stubby setting is really the analogue to dnsmasq strict mode. Both strict mode implementations in fact really do allow for some common misconfigurations, but it seems there may be some slight differences on what each one will tolerate.
  • Even with a dnssec validation service, the results aren't always consistent. I had one day where @phx28777's nrsforu.com started working with dnsmasq, but then it went back to failing. In another test, repeatedly running dig against a site returned a myriad of different results, SERVFAIL, NXDOMAIN and NOERROR. The only thing I can conclude is that the Anycast distributed servers may not all be configured the same or there are some retry anomalies buried in both getdns and dnsmasq.
So net is:
  • The getdns/stubby dnssec config in lastest releases is really correct.
  • The next release with provide a selection mechanism for DoT, to allow you to try either getdns/stubby dnssec or dnsmasq dnssec.
  • If you have problems accessing a site.first thing to do is just retry. Different servers may also provide different results.
  • I still believe there is an ordered mode retry bug in stubby, to the recommendation to use random mode with multiple servers still stands.
  • It is highly likely that there is a bug related to properly configuring CNAMES.dnssec in all the dnssec implementations (causes the failure on the Cloudflare test site)
  • I'm finished banging my head against the wall on this one :)

@Xentrk FYI

Last edited:
Have a good day everyone, thanks for responding, installed the update, but the udpxy in pppoe doesn't work.
Just to double check, please post the output of
ps | grep udpxy
ps | grep igmpproxy
cat /tmp/igmpproxy.conf

Are you setting an IPTV service? If so, which one?

Also, are you running dualwan? This fork doesn't support udpxy in a dualwan environment (that was added later).

Hey all,

I have a old RT-AC66u-B1 that is running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70.

What would be the reason's and advantages to install this over what it is currently running?

Thanks

Hey all,

What would be the reason's and advantages to install this over what it is currently running?

Thanks
You would make an old router awesome.

You would get slightly older wireless drivers that are considered better and more stable by many, plus security updates and cool new features not available in other firmware (e.g. Stubby for DNS over TLS).

Each day that passes makes 380.70 more obsolete. John has earned the trust of this community and offers great alternatives to ASUSWRT or Merlin.

Save your setting and try it out. If you don’t like it, go back to Merlin and restore your old settings.

Hey all,

Thanks

B1 isn't that old since it has 384 code branch with latest stock from Sep and actual Merlin release, so the Fork is another possible option for you to choose from.

Just to double check, please post the output of
ps | grep udpxy
ps | grep igmpproxy
cat /tmp/igmpproxy.conf

Are you setting an IPTV service? If so, which one?

Also, are you running dualwan? This fork doesn't support udpxy in a dualwan environment (that was added later).
my internet connection is: pppoe (provider) - wan nexx wt3020 - wan ac66u (auto ip) - wifi iptv working
automaticIP.JPG

my internet connection is: pppoe (provider) - wan ac66u (pppoe) - wifi iptv not working
pppoe.JPG

DualWan - switched off
Playlist provider has the following form:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0 tvg-id="ort+7" group-title="Channels",Первый канал
http://192.168.1.1:4000/udp/235.28.11.1:2015
iptv.JPG

Last edited:
B1 isn't that old since it has 384 code branch with latest stock from Sep and actual Merlin release, so the Fork is another possible option for you to choose from.
As he used the word "old", and the RT-AC66U_B1 is not an old model I assume he meant "RT-AC66U H/W version B1". It is that model that Merlin no longer supports.

@mihei78
I must admit I'm a bit confused as to what you are testing....are these two separate internet connections? (Automatic IP and PPPoE are not interchangeable) Maybe you can provide a bit more info.

In any event, udpxy is not starting in your PPPoE case. First thing to try is to make sure 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' is set to No on the WAN setup page for PPPoE.

Hi all,

I have a RT-N66U that is running Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55_0

Should i run 374.43_36EAj9527 or RT-N66U_380.70_0

What would be the reason's and benefit for a version versus the other ?
or should i just keep the version i am running ?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I have a RT-N66U that is running Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55_0

Should i run 374.43_36EAj9527 or RT-N66U_380.70_0

What would be the reason's and benefit for a version versus the other ?
or should i just keep the version i am running ?

Thanks in advance
Your current firmware is over 3 years old and contains known bugs and security vulnerabilities, you should update it. Merlin's firmware 380.70 is not being updated anymore so is not a good choice going forward.

IMHO you only have two sensible choices, either use the stock Asus firmware or John's. Both are currently being updated.

Your current firmware is over 3 years old and contains known bugs and security vulnerabilities, you should update it. Merlin's firmware 380.70 is not being updated anymore so is not a good choice going forward.

IMHO you only have two sensible choices, either use the stock Asus firmware or John's. Both are currently being updated.

Thanks You so much for confirming :)
One more question
You recommend a Upgrade via "Administration - Firmware Upgrade"
or an other method ...
Thanks again

Thanks You so much for confirming :)
One more question
You recommend a Upgrade via "Administration - Firmware Upgrade"
or an other method ...
Thanks again

It's always a good idea to read the 1st post at least once - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v36ea.18914/

For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website or the built in CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware. You must always perform a factory default reset following the firmware update when moving from ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware above level 374 regardless if you updated via the web interface or Restoration Tool.

Ok, So I misquoted. I have a Original Rev. I believe A1. It is the one with 2 USB 2.o ports.

So I will update this when I get time. I need to allow some time since I need to do a full restore with the restoration utility.

Thanks again.

It's always a good idea to read the 1st post at least once - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v36ea.18914/

For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website or the built in CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware. You must always perform a factory default reset following the firmware update when moving from ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware above level 374 regardless if you updated via the web interface or Restoration Tool.
You Know what.... Believe it or not, i read almost all the 425 pages (including the first one of course) before decide myself i need to post my questions....
i guess it was way too much ..... in my head...
Sorry about that.

i will prepare myself to the flash, and take a note of the config i want to redo , since it will not be a brigth idea to restore config .....

thanks for your time

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!