What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It seems that my router is rebooting every night now after i played with some settings
i had activated web access from WAN but did put that setting back to NO.
yesterday i flashed 37E4
noticed that the save HTTPS certificate setting was on YES so changed that to no in case that had something to do with this.

i am not using any https and also do not access the router gui from outside (i use 1194 port forwarding for Open VPN)

upload_2018-12-9_10-16-7.png

noticed that the save HTTPS certificate setting was on YES so changed that to no in case that had something to do with this.
First, leave Save HTTPS cert to yes, otherwise it will gen a new cert on every boot.

For the reboots, need to see the syslog.

can you tell me in what directory the syslog is?
i never looked for it because i asumed the log was overwritten.

First, leave Save HTTPS cert to yes, otherwise it will gen a new cert on every boot.

My mistake. Thanks very much. Good to go now. One more question. I guess "Download Master" is not good enough for torrent download. So I need to install Transmission and RSync. Is there any guide for these installations?

Thanks
For Entware and Transmission install instructions Google is your friend.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

John,

the router reboot problem seems to get worse.
it is logging to jffs but i can not see what is wrong because i just see the new entries with Jan 1 01:00:12 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 because a reboot is initiated.

what do i need to do to enable full logging and a chance to capture the problem before it is rebooting.
is it
nvram set log_small=0
nvram set cron_loglevel=N (which level)

or both

thanks

really weird because i never had this problem before

I just remembered that last week i was playing with WPS and I did hit the WPS reset button, just to find out it resetted my complete wireless network settings.(why in hell is there a reset on this page which does not only reset WPS but the complete Wifi)
i restored all the setting but noticed the b/g protection was ON.
could this have been the problem to all the reset issues i am having lately?
i have heared before that weifi settings are a cause of reset problems

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-10_17-34-19.png
    upload_2018-12-10_17-34-19.png
    180.9 KB · Views: 335
  • upload_2018-12-10_17-35-52.png
    upload_2018-12-10_17-35-52.png
    228 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
@Gravityz

A lot going on.....
  • According to the code, jffs logging should work on the AC66. Check and see if you have files /jffs/syslog.log or /jffs/syslog.log-1
  • None of those nvram log settings would affect things....leave them at the defaults.
  • On the DDNS page, you should have also got an alert popup saying what the problem was. What was it?
  • You said that the problems started after 'you played with some settings'. I hate to say it, but at this point the best thing would probably be to factory reset and reconfigure. 20-20 hindsight, but this is exactly the case where using the built in save config/save jffs is useful. Take a save before you start playing, and you can always return to the where you were.

Thanks,

once i discovered what caused the problem(reset wifi settings on the WPS page) i was able to do a restore settings.
working stable for a day now.

these are the current settings which are working well
i think B/G protection, preamble long and tx bursting on were the default settings which might have caused these reboots.

upload_2018-12-11_14-15-45.png

@Gravityz

A lot going on.....
  • According to the code, jffs logging should work on the AC66. Check and see if you have files /jffs/syslog.log or /jffs/syslog.log-1
  • None of those nvram log settings would affect things....leave them at the defaults.
  • On the DDNS page, you should have also got an alert popup saying what the problem was. What was it?
  • You said that the problems started after 'you played with some settings'. I hate to say it, but at this point the best thing would probably be to factory reset and reconfigure. 20-20 hindsight, but this is exactly the case where using the built in save config/save jffs is useful. Take a save before you start playing, and you can always return to the where you were.

I just noticed an issue when you turn OpenVPN server off and on in the GUI. It seems to mangle the username and passwords you've assigned to the users after the first 2 entries due to incorrect columns. It replicates the issue whether using Firefox or Chrome running John's latest firmware on my AC68u. Please see screenshot for example. Thanks for your help John.

upload_2018-12-11_20-21-38.png

John,
Running your latest release 37E4 and having a problem with the USB 3 port. Flash drive NTFS formatted will only work @ USB 2 speed. Did a factory reset and loaded previous version 37B4 same result. Tried a different flash drive same result. Never had a problem before with USB 3 speed detection in the past.

Don't know if its related but,

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-infamous-usb-3-0-issue-ok-on-stock-vs-not-ok-on-merlin.50333/
Haven't touched anything with USB in at least 1 year (there may have been something in the kernel update in 2017)

EDIT: Thinking out loud...I wonder if the flash vendors are making firmware changes on the stick for USB 3.1 that is somehow breaking the router USB 3 compatibility? Is this a new stick?

Last edited:
Hey John. First want to thank you for your time and the amazing work you have done for this firmware. I have been running it for a few days now and its improvement from merlins which was very nice as well. It's huge improvement for me from merlins due to the wifi/professional settings being available in repeater mode as this router is used as a repeater. I do have 1 issue though. It's and issue that takes place in merlins and your latest release. I can't access the basic/general settings of the wifi so that I can choose wifi channel, mode, and mhz. In the stock firmware you can click on the name of the 2.4 and 5.0 wifi in top right and it takes you to the basic settings where you can then adjust them. Why is there no such option for this in neither merlins or yours? These settings can also make huge improvement to wireless signal.

No special characters at all...very plain passwords so parents can connect :)
There are definitely special chars in your screenshot. Special characters also include double-byte accents (just in case)
Also check your nvram utilization.

I can't recreate...
passwd.PNG

I can't access the basic/general settings of the wifi so that I can choose wifi channel, mode, and mhz. In the stock firmware you can click on the name of the 2.4 and 5.0 wifi in top right and it takes you to the basic settings where you can then adjust them. Why is there no such option for this in neither merlins or yours? These settings can also make huge improvement to wireless signal.
Because in repeater mode, things like channel and SSID are determined by the parent router....the repeater router is just a client like a laptop or tablet.

Haven't touched anything with USB in at least 1 year (there may have been something in the kernel update in 2017)
My first thought was some sort of hardware failure but it works fine at USB2 speed. Should also mention using Samba server SMBv2. Only significant router change has been an ISP speed upgrade.
Don't see how it would affect USB3 detection outside of changing startup slightly.

Because in repeater mode, things like channel and SSID are determined by the parent router....the repeater router is just a client like a laptop or tablet.

No, I control the ssid of my repeater in any 3 of the firmware stock, merlin, yours. and on the stock asus firmware you can change it to any channel you like, can also change operating mode and mhz. so why not on yours too? trust me i've used this as repeater for 2 years now. These things can be done on it. I can revert to stock and take screenshots if you like to see?

EDIT: Thinking out loud...I wonder if the flash vendors are making firmware changes on the stick for USB 3.1 that is somehow breaking the router USB 3 compatibility? Is this a new stick?

Been using the same USB stick for well over a year with no problems. Checked it out on a Windows box and it has no problems. Another different brand stick also can't do USB3 on the router. Very strange at least it still works in slow motion!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!