What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@john9527 Do you have plans to add Stubby to the list of watchdog checks? I saw a dnsmasq check was added a few months ago, but it seems no one cares if Stubby lives or dies. :)

After experimenting with Stubby on Merlin this past week, it made me nervous that there is no method to ensure stubby stays up.

Reflashing the fork in the morning! ;)

Hello all. It's been quite a long time since I updated the firmware on my AC68. I was looking to use the Merlin software, as that is what is currently on my router. Interestingly, the Merlin version I have currently is 3.0.0.4.374.43_2. I saw this fork as a LTS, install and forget software that is based on the same version. So, I would like to flash it to the current version. I read the upgrade path doc, and it appears that I should use the following options:

(7) Current ASUS or Merlin on early rev AC68, AC56, or MIPS based router that wishes to try earlier wireless drivers
Does not use the router in Repeater or Media Bridge modes
(8) Current ASUS or Merlin that wants to try other Fork features
Uses the router in Repeater in Repeater or Media Bridge modes

If I understood the basics, the 7, or L doesn't contain software to block an exploit whereas 8, or E, does. However, I only use the router as a router, so is there any performance related issues or anything if I install one vs the other?

Also, my most important question: Am I correct in my conclusions above? I really don't want to cause any undue problems when I haven't ever encountered any prior. I wouldn't even bother upgrading other than I believe an update would be good to address various security or performance issues that may have occurred in past 3-5 years. Any guidance is very much appreciated.
Since you are coming from a point in time before (or as) the fork forked, I’m guessing you can just upgrade directly in the GUI.

But since a lot has changed in the fork since 2014, you may need to be prepared for a factory reset.

Hey guys,
I've been using this fork for years and overall I've been quite happy with it.
Lately unfortunately I've been experiencing a strange issue. I'm on a gigabit optic connection and usually I get speeds of about 9xx mb/s download and upload (at least from servers inside the country) Some days ago my download speeds dropped in half (around 4xx to 5xx mb/s) but the upload is still at around 9xx mb/s. First I thought that it might be an issue with the connection or the media converter but plugging my PC directly to the media converter produces the normal 9xx mb/s down/up. I updated to the latest 37EA version and the speeds went back to normal but several hours later the same thing happened again. So basically the router works with proper download speeds for a while and then drops the download to half.
Currently it is quite cold where the router is so it is not overheating or anything. Also one second smaller issue is that if I set the router to reboot once every week, it never recovers from the reboot. I need to turn it off and on again for it to start working properly. If just reboot it from the GUI everything is fine.
For reference, my network is quite simple: Optic>Media Converter>Router>2 PCs, Some TVs and smartphones over WiFi.
Ideas?

Since you are coming from a point in time before (or as) the fork forked, I’m guessing you can just upgrade directly in the GUI.

But since a lot has changed in the fork since 2014, you may need to be prepared for a factory reset.
Great, thanks for the reply. I am good with doing whatever the steps require. I just wanted to ensure I was on the right track and not missing something important. Thanks again!

Sorry, one additional question:
In reviewing the upgrade path doc, it seems that if I am coming from any old ASUS or Merlin build, which I would assume includes my current firmware, that I have to use the restoration tool as well as factory reset. Can you confirm? Thanks.

Sorry, one additional question:
In reviewing the upgrade path doc, it seems that if I am coming from any old ASUS or Merlin build, which I would assume includes my current firmware, that I have to use the restoration tool as well as factory reset. Can you confirm? Thanks.
I think that would apply to someone running a modern Merlin or ASUS firmware level 380 or greater. In your case, your existing firmware is from before the "lockdown" so I still believe you would be fine to upgrade with the GUI like people did back in 2014 when the fork was first released (it wasn't until June 2016 when John advised that it might not be possible to flash back to the fork without using the restoration tool).
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/f...lts-releases-v37ea.18914/page-193#post-265107

I flashed today my Asus AC66U_B1 (HW rev. B2) with latest John's firmware (374.43 LTS V37EA).
Tx Power Adjustment is set to 80 mW by default (max is 100 mW).
80 mW isn't too much ? Setting it to 0 mW means that power will be set to "hardware default" ?
In this firmware "initialise button" is missing.. I see only "Restore button".
Thanks.

LATER EDIT: it seems 0 (zero) isn't allowed for TxPower

Last edited:
I flashed today my Asus AC66U_B1 (HW rev. B2) with latest John's firmware (374.43 LTS V37EA).
Tx Power Adjustment is set to 80 mW by default (max is 100 mW).
80 mW isn't too much ? Setting it to 0 mW means that power will be set to "hardware default" ?
In this firmware "initialise button" is missing.. I see only "Restore button".
Thanks.
This fork doesn't have the newer features that require the JFFS databases to be reinitialized, if I remember the purpose correctly under Merlin.

@john9527 Just a minor issue I discovered today when testing Stubby again. It's a user-induced, empty DoT Servers selector on the WAN page.

I saved my fork settings before flashing the Merlin firmware last week, but just before that you had announced the update to stubby-resolvers.csv, and I had run the update script. Therefore, nvram was pointing to the /jffs/etc/stubby-resolvers.csv file. But I also wiped JFFS when going back to Merlin, so the file was not there.

When I reflashed the fork and restored the settings (but didn't restore JFFS), nvram is still pointing to a non-existent file and when I went to enable Stubby today for some tests, the selector is empty. I am going to run the updater again to fix it, but I thought I would suggest a verification that the file in nvram actually exists and if not, default back to the rom version.

Cheers!

38D3
QOS Statistics not loading. Memory usage seems to be creeping up overnight from 150 M free at initial config to 50 M free this morning.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

What is the difference between that version and the one that's already in this firmware?
View attachment 15963
What is the difference between that version and the one that's already in this firmware?
upload_2019-1-19_15-24-41.png

I had to re-write the ovpn server authentication for MIPS due to a conflict with the stubby code (it caused a segfault in the openpam auth). Probably there is something in there that is preventing it from recognizing the default login. I'll take a look, but it make take a little while.
Actually come to think of it John, this is a blessing in disguise. No rush in fixing this because it actually fills a security hole. When I first setup OVPN years ago I always felt that the automatic access to the admin/default login is NOT a good thing as if someone somehow figures out the login/password to it it exposes the entire router to a hack/attack using the OVPN connection itself (double whammy and there was no way to disable it without changing the password or disabling OVPN itself)

So it's a good thing that the default login doesn't work. It forces you to create a separate login for OVPN and helps protect the default/admin login.

If you however decide to "fix" the issue, please DO provide a way (a simple check box) to disable the default/admin login over OVPN for the reason mentioned above. I'm actually quite happy with it disabled at this time. Thank you again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!