What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This build is working perfectly for me. I did a full reset before and after flashing (flashed via recovery). Left all WiFi stuff as default (except SSID and WPA2 pass of course). Haven't had any complaints from iPhone users in the household which is surprising. My ring doorbell chime still disconnects sometimes but I'm pretty sure it's the fault of the chime as all other devices seem good :)

The only thing I use away from the default is Dual WAN, with some fixed routing rules to help spread people out across the two connections and it works well on these older builds (Dual WAN is weird on newer builds). Thanks so much!

Hey guys! Is it possible to add support for OpenVPN pushed routes? I need only several ips to be routed thru VPN and everything else should route thru main gw.

Hey guys! Is it possible to add support for OpenVPN pushed routes? I need only several ips to be routed thru VPN and everything else should route thru main gw.
It already has that. Check out the "Redirect Internet traffic" option.

Starting from Merlin 384.6 is it likely I can put this fw on a 56u with only the Asus removal tool and the fw download? I ask because I have no experience beyond a basic fw flash and configuring it. Or should I not even try for fear of complications I won't understand? This has probably been answered in this very long thread but I didn't come across it. I am anxious to try it to get the 56u up to date and add security to an EOL unit. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Starting from Merlin 384.6 is it likely I can put this fw on a 56u with only the Asus removal tool and the fw download? I ask because I have no experience beyond a basic fw flash and configuring it. Or should I not even try for fear of complications I won't understand? This has probably been answered in this very long thread but I didn't come across it. I am anxious to try it to get the 56u up to date and add security to an EOL unit. Thanks for any suggestions.
AFAIK AC56U has not been locked to a certain firmware, if you run into problems, run mtd-write version 2 for ARM with

mtd-write -i firm.trx -d linux

(Rename the firmware to firm.trx and make it available to the router.)

Actually see post #1 in the 'installation notes' section. You will use the ASUS restoration tool to go back to this version from a later (above 380) version, then moving forward simply update via the UI.
ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool Instructions

Last edited:
Thanks. I bravely tried it today and it worked fine. I say bravely because of my skills level. Now I need to learn how to use the new features. Another project that I look forward to, seriously.

For the record @john9527 (see my other posts for a reminder of context) I found that my issues on this fork were caused by a faulty modem.

I upgraded to the official firmware (3.0.0.4.382_50470-g033b865) with the old modem and got more more useful logging, such as every few days:

Dec 22 00:10:54 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Dec 22 00:10:56 pppd[444]: Connection terminated.
Dec 22 00:11:22 pppd[444]: Connected to xxx via interface eth0
Dec 22 00:11:22 pppd[444]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Dec 22 00:11:22 pppd[444]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Dec 22 00:11:22 pppd[444]: peer from calling number xxx authorized
Dec 22 00:11:22 pppd[444]: local IP address xxx
Dec 22 00:11:22 pppd[444]: remote IP address xxx
Dec 22 00:11:22 pppd[444]: primary DNS address xxx
Dec 22 00:11:22 pppd[444]: secondary DNS address xxx
Dec 22 00:11:22 rc_service: ip-up 28729:notify_rc start_firewall
Dec 22 00:11:22 miniupnpd[21352]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Dec 22 00:11:22 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_eth0)
Dec 22 00:11:22 miniupnpd[28765]: version 1.9 started
Dec 22 00:11:23 wan: finish adding multi routes
Dec 22 00:11:23 rc_service: ip-up 28729:notify_rc stop_upnp
Dec 22 00:11:23 rc_service: ip-up 28729:notify_rc start_upnp
Dec 22 00:11:23 rc_service: waitting "stop_upnp" via ip-up ...
Dec 22 00:11:23 miniupnpd[28765]: HTTP listening on port 33653
Dec 22 00:11:23 miniupnpd[28765]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Dec 22 00:11:23 miniupnpd[28765]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Dec 22 00:11:24 miniupnpd[28768]: version 1.9 started
Dec 22 00:11:24 miniupnpd[28768]: HTTP listening on port 56114
Dec 22 00:11:24 miniupnpd[28768]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Dec 22 00:11:24 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

I've replaced the modem and I don't get these messages any more. I assume that in your fork there is a bug (leading to crash/OOM) when the modem repeatedly disconnects on you that's fixed in the latest official.

Just FYI :)

I have a question for you gus. I have en asus rt-n66u. And the firmare I have is 3.0.0.4.382_50702-g6c0e289. Is it to new, where can I can the one I needed ???¨

Sincerley

When I tried to restore on my brother's 56u I followed the same steps as I used on my own but upon launching the app I receive the message "Router is not in rescue mode" and the process stops in about 30 seconds. The router is slowly flashing the power light as it should be and the software is the same 2.0.0.0 I used. I'm stumped. Fortunately it works fine after cycling power on the old 384.6.

Last edited:
What is the correct path to downgrade from 37EA back to 37E4, this latest release has dropped my wifi coverage pretty significantly. I first updated through gui and everything was a little wonky. Did a hard reset and had trouble getting router to finish setup and wifi and speeds were not what they should be or what they were prior to the update. so i then tried a reset through cmd in win10 with telnet. Seemed to be a little better maybe but still no where near as good as previous release. So I then flashed the router back to stock asus then ended up flashing 37E4 again and it is better as far as speeds go but the wifi coverage is still a lot less than it used to be. Since I'm having issues should I just flash stock then 37e4 or can i downgrade with a flash to e4. or do you think a gui without a reset is suffecient if this downgrade can be done with the gui path that is?????

btw i am using an n66u

What is the correct path to downgrade from 37EA back to 37E4, this latest release has dropped my wifi coverage pretty significantly. I first updated through gui and everything was a little wonky. Did a hard reset and had trouble getting router to finish setup and wifi and speeds were not what they should be or what they were prior to the update. so i then tried a reset through cmd in win10 with telnet. Seemed to be a little better maybe but still no where near as good as previous release. So I then flashed the router back to stock asus then ended up flashing 37E4 again and it is better as far as speeds go but the wifi coverage is still a lot less than it used to be. Since I'm having issues should I just flash stock then 37e4 or can i downgrade with a flash to e4. or do you think a gui without a reset is suffecient if this downgrade can be done with the gui path that is?????

btw i am using an n66u

Are we talking about the same router ? RT-N66U

What is the correct path to downgrade from 37EA back to 37E4
Just do it through the GUI. If you still have problems that a factory reset doesn't fix then your problems are elsewhere. Maybe something in your environment has changed, or the components in the router are ageing.

Parental control tab... In the Notes, it's mispelled "parenetal". :)

Petty complaint but other than that, working well on 37EAj9527 for the few features I use. Hooked my old router up (e2500 oc'd to 600mhz) for comparison with a highly optimized DDWRT for latency and still, sometimes 20ms or more ping to router. With this I get >1ms regularly, really helpful in gaming. Thanks Creator.

Hello

I have been struggling for some time with an unusual memory leak on my RT-N66U, i already posted about this (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/f...lts-releases-v37ea.18914/page-395#post-422080). Every now and then i find the router crashed and rebooted, i have never seen an uptime of 10 days with this router. Well, i am updating every single new build hoping it will get better and stop the router crashing.

I have the router in a remote location, so i performed the update via a remote computer in the routers local network. With the last update, 37EA, the update started, and then i lost connectivity to the remote location, like it was supposed to happen after every update, until the router rebooted and established connection with the ISP. But then blank, the computers and cameras never came back, then i started wondering, maybe the reboot takes longer who knows. But then after enough time passed i thought the router might have crashed for good maybe because of the bloody memory leak... But anyway, after driving 200 miles to the remote location carrying a backup router with me, i found the firmware update finished ok, on the computer screen it said something like "Firmware update complete, please manually reboot your router".

Is this a new "feature"? I was expecting the firmware update process to automatically reboot the router on successful flash, like it always happens.

//M

It automatically reboots for me and I think it always has. Our routers are getting old so maybe it's a hardware error. Others have suggested changing power adapters for weird hardware issues.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!