What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It automatically reboots for me and I think it always has. Our routers are getting old so maybe it's a hardware error. Others have suggested changing power adapters for weird hardware issues.
Yeah, maybe they're getting old. Though, mine was kept unused since i got it, i wanted to extend the range at home but never did it, instead i repositioned the main router and the range i wanted got fixed this way, placing the RT-N66U in the drawer. So from this point of view it's kind of new, that's why i am a little frustrated. I put it into service last summer in July at my remote place where they finally changed my DSL line with fiber optics and it made sense to use a powerful router.

Anyway, great idea with the power brick, i'll try and find something useful and do it.

I recently upgraded 374.43_37E4j9527 on RT-N66U. Upload OK and setup done, but when I logout and try to log in again I get told to enter userame and password which always fails and I cant access the GUI.
Gone back to ASUS firmware and no problems …….. any ideas?

I recently upgraded 374.43_37E4j9527 on RT-N66U. Upload OK and setup done, but when I logout and try to log in again I get told to enter userame and password which always fails and I cant access the GUI.
Gone back to ASUS firmware and no problems …….. any ideas?

Try to do a full reset so your username and password is reset. And as ColinTaylor mentioned, use regular characters this time if you didn't before.

@Jasso Does your username or password contain any non-alphanumeric characters? Are either particularly long?

Neither are particularly long,but do contain a couple of non-alphanumeric characters. Will give it another try later, thanks for your input.

Try to do a full reset so your username and password is reset. And as s ColinTaylor mentioned, use regular characters this time if you didn't before.

Will do,this time with standard characters, thanks for your advice

@Jasso Does your username or password contain any non-alphanumeric characters? Are either particularly long?

Uploaded 374.43_37E4j9527 again using different username and password without any non-alphanumeric characters and works OK can now get into GUI.
Why cant I go straight to GUI log in screen as with my AC5300 on Merlin?
Thanks again.

Why cant I go straight to GUI log in screen as with my AC5300 on Merlin?
It's just different in this firmware. This firmware is based on an older codebase. The way the web interface works was completely changed in later firmwares.

Are we talking about the same router ? RT-N66U

Sorry for late reply been very busy in and out of town working a lot. Yes, talking about the rt-n66u. I went back to 37e4 via gui. Things still aren't back to normal. The range of the wifi isnt the same and sometimes I have trouble with connection on my pc which is connected via ethernet cable. Never had any issues until this. And no, nothing in the enviroment has changed. I did forget to mention that I was just curious and was using commands via telnet and i did a command for clearing nvram and I used a command that was meant for a different model router and it said it did something then i found the right command for my model and cleared nvram. Just the other day I was looking and found a thread where people were saying that clearing wrong place can have negative effect on router. I am wondering if that is it and if anyway to resolve this. I check the logs few times a day and have noticed that the ntp server now takes 2 to 3 times to update sometimes and before all this mess it updated on 1st attempt every time. Also I now see logs state somethign about disparity xx amount of minutes. Logs also show this a bunch with more following it of course "dnsmasq-dhcp[328]" also anytime I reboot the router the logs start with a date and time of "Dec 31 19:00:07" , not sure if it has always been like that but i dont recall it. and it seems now the

@Mike_1990 Can you post a screen shot of System Log > Wireless Log please?

Are you still using this as a repeater? You said you were having problems even via Ethernet, presumably that's plugged into the repeater?

It might be helpful is you were to upload the entire syslog to somewhere like pastebin.

Regarding the messages in the log, that's normal. It's always done that.

I have successfully loaded the 37EA version on my RT AC66U. I noticed that the ASUS Router Android app is unable to connect.
I am assuming this is expected behavior, because of the earlier vintage where this fork was taken?

I have successfully loaded the 37EA version on my RT AC66U. I noticed that the ASUS Router Android app is unable to connect.
I am assuming this is expected behavior, because of the earlier vintage where this fork was taken?
Correct.

That's written in the OP, you don't even need to assume that.

How do I report bugs and other issues? Can't find any link to do that on GitHub. I have problem logging in, both with Firefox (a static page with an error message) and Safari (get kicked out constantly). I have deleted cookies but it didn't help.

How do I report bugs and other issues? Can't find any link to do that on GitHub. I have problem logging in, both with Firefox (a static page with an error message) and Safari (get kicked out constantly). I have deleted cookies but it didn't help.
You may report Merlin's bugs on this forum. No, they don't pay you for disclosing exploits, you merely report them because you want them solved.

Hello

But anyway, after driving 200 miles to the remote location carrying a backup router with me, i found the firmware update finished ok, on the computer screen it said something like "Firmware update complete, please manually reboot your router".

I have experienced the same. I have two RT-AC66U devices, one is configured in "Wireless Router Mode" and another in "Access Point Mode". Both on the same network. With the last couple of updates (maybe more?) I've found that the one configured as an access point always reboots at the end of the update, whereas the router always requires manual intervention. Not sure why, but I've assumed it's due to differing services ... but why that would stop the reboot I don't know. Any insight would be appreciated.

Nige.

I semi-solved the Safari problem (on iOS) setting an undocumented nvram variable.
See this post in the thread:
[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V37EA)

Short answer, try running
Code:
nvram set http_disc_timeout=900
You can reduce or increase the 900 depending on how long you might leave the router tab in the background and not expect to be logged out.

You may report Merlin's bugs on this forum. No, they don't pay you for disclosing exploits, you merely report them because you want them solved.
Ok, this is how it looks in Firefox
upload_2019-2-6_22-57-50.png

While in Safari the login window popsup every 10 seconds or so and it doesn't remember the login details although I have checked Remember... (well, they are stored in the Keychain but they are not pre-filled). It has been like this since I installed Merlin a couple of weeks ago. Clearing cookies didn't solve the problem.
upload_2019-2-6_22-58-45.png

First off, thanks to John9527 and everyone else for all the efforts with this firmware. I've installed 374.43_37EAj9527 on my n66u and while generally it works very well, there are a couple of issues I hope the creators will be able to fix some time in future.
1) The firmware hates LAN addresses different from default 192.168 variety. I usually run my LANs on ips starting with 10 but when I tried it with this fork, I've had a lot of issues staying connected every time I changed settings on the routers (like DDNS or IPV6). After saving changes on the router, the computer loses all connection through ethernet (wireless seems to work better) and only rebooting the router is the easiest and fastest way to restore ethernet connection. Not sure what the problem is but I didn't have it with Tomato firmware I used to run in the past
2) IPV6 tunneling doesn't seem to work at all. I use a Tunnelbroker account (had it for 7 years now) and never had issues connecting to it on Tomato. I've set it up on this fork and even though all the settings were correct, I couldn't get a connected via IPV6. Not sure what the problem is but I had to stop trying anyways, as apparently using IPV6 tunneling breaks NAT acceleration on this firmware, which is my 3rd and most important issue.
3) 37EA provides full speed from my ISP with NAT acceleration but enabling IPV6 tunneling disables it for some reason. It is strange to me as Tomato I had on this router before was able to have both NAT acceleration (bcm_nat) and IPV tunnel, it just wasn't as fast as this Merlin fork. I obviously prefer to use higher speed of my connection so I gave up on IPV6 tunnel but I'm hoping that someone could come up with a solution to this problem (as unlikely as it seems)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!