What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What type of USB disk is attached? Is it a Seagate? I seem to remember a similar problem on Merlin's main branch where the Seagate disk was very slow to wake up.
The reason that HD (My Passport) spun up when I turn on that PC is that PC resumed from sleep and Foobar was open. All my music is on that Passport attached to the AC68. That drive spins up really fast.
The other drive on the AC68 is a WD My Book. That drive spins up very slowly. It did not spin up when PC resumed from sleep this morning.
So I don't think it is related to the Seagate issue.
Log clear all day. Would turning up the message log level help? What about turning off NAT acceleration or upnp?

The reason that HD (My Passport) spun up when I turn on that PC is that PC resumed from sleep and Foobar was open. All my music is on that Passport attached to the AC68. That drive spins up really fast.
The other drive on the AC68 is a WD My Book. That drive spins up very slowly. It did not spin up when PC resumed from sleep this morning.
So I don't think it is related to the Seagate issue.
Log clear all day. Would turning up the message log level help? What about turning off NAT acceleration or upnp?
Just to help rule things out, could you disable the spindown for a while and see if things quiet down.....

To say the truth, John, no configuration at all. I did a factory reset some days ago and I forgot to re-export the NFS directory. So the mount list was completely empty.

Thx
Ziolupo
That actually makes sense and helps to explain some of what I saw in the logs. I'll see if I can recreate it. Thanks.

It's working fine for me (50/5) service with HE Tunnel....unfortunately I have no way to debug native.
EDIT: Please send me a copy of /tmp/mangle_rules_ipv6 via PM

Thanks for the reply. Haven't had a chance to mess around with this again until now, but strangely the QoS limits seem to be working correctly today. Other than a reboot I'm not aware of any other changes being made to the router's settings, so not sure why things are working today when they clearly weren't yesterday. I sent the mangle_rules_ipv6 info to you just in case you still wanted to take a look.

Thanks for the reply. Haven't had a chance to mess around with this again until now, but strangely the QoS limits seem to be working correctly today. Other than a reboot I'm not aware of any other changes being made to the router's settings, so not sure why things are working today when they clearly weren't yesterday. I sent the mangle_rules_ipv6 info to you just in case you still wanted to take a look.
Your mangle rules file looks perfect. I do have a hypothesis on what may be happening . QoS actually starts pretty early in the boot process, and I'm wondering if IPv6 is a bit slower coming up on some ISPs and the nvram data isn't available yet. I think I'll add a check/logmessage/retry to the QoS start to collect some data.

All, I don't mean to sidetrack the great discussion, but I've run into something that is probably just me. Somewhere along the way I've lost the hostname lookup function in the NetworkMap, Client Status table. I can click on a client and get the MAC ID, but nothing more. In the past the system would lookup the vendor information. Can someone point me to a potential fix? TIA

All, I don't mean to sidetrack the great discussion, but I've run into something that is probably just me. Somewhere along the way I've lost the hostname lookup function in the NetworkMap, Client Status table. I can click on a client and get the MAC ID, but nothing more. In the past the system would lookup the vendor information. Can someone point me to a potential fix? TIA

Same here - just noticed last night that I only get the MAC ID of the device, no MAC lookup is triggered.

Time :) This happens every so often when the internet db used for the lookup is having problems.

EDIT: May have to take that back. I see Merlin just posted a commit to change the db query. I'll do a backport and see if it helps (I see the same thing).

Last edited:
Time :) This happens every so often when the internet db used for the lookup is having problems.
Hi John,
You mean Time will resolve it? It's been going on for about a month or more now - before 13E, but I thought to wait for a while to see if time would fix it! Is there an internal file or cache that should be reset or flushed, something like that?

And I can't miss this opportunity to thank you for a great fork!

Hi John,
You mean Time will resolve it? It's been going on for about a month or more now - before 13E, but I thought to wait for a while to see if time would fix it! Is there an internal file or cache that should be reset or flushed, something like that?

And I can't miss this opportunity to thank you for a great fork!
Last time this happened it was due to the IEEE db used for the lookup being down for a few days....I admit I jumped to a conclusion :oops:

The db query update brought things back. I'll pick it up for the next release.

EDIT: May have to take that back. I see Merlin just posted a commit to change the db query. I'll do a backport and see if it helps (I see the same thing).

Wait before backporting it. I just got a newer GPL from Asus this morning, I want to see how they fixed it first. If their fix is different and works properly, I'll switch to their fix instead, for sake of consistency.

Curious thing! After upgrading to 15E5 I noticed that quality and strength of the 5GHz on my 68U router had dropped down to 30% - 35% at the furthest corner of my house were my Linksys Bridge WUMC710 is located. Mind you that the signal there was always around 75% with all previous version of @john9527 I couldn't live with it. The Linksys extender RE6500 in the house was showing the 5Ghz at three bars at best with the 15E5 firmware, poor strength and quality. The 2.4GHz was showing normal levels all the time.

I flushed the 14E1 back to the Router, rebooted and presto, signal back to normal levels at the bridge and the extender. Anyone else noticed something like that with their 68U on the 5GHz side? I think I'll stay with the 14E1 for a bit, see how things turn up. :D

Curious thing! After upgrading to 15E5 I noticed that quality and strength of the 5GHz on my 68U router had dropped
As has been said, I don't touch anything in the wireless drivers, so this is always a mystery. I remember it happened once before on an AC66 (I think it was by member JustChecking, check previous posts) which couldn't be recreated after he repeated the upgrade.

As has been said, I don't touch anything in the wireless drivers, so this is always a mystery. I remember it happened once before on an AC66 (I think it was by member JustChecking, check previous posts) which couldn't be recreated after he repeated the upgrade.
Granted, the driver has not changed. Parameters initialization might have changed, e.g. I suddenly found my router having an US country code instead of #a.

Granted, the driver has not changed. Parameters initialization might have changed, e.g. I suddenly found my router having an US country code instead of #a.
I don't touch that as well unless you did a factory reset. Then any of the power related setting will be set back to default.

Oh, and my nvram utility won't save/restore any of the power tweaks as well. I'll add a note in my next utility update.

i have had this with but moving from 13E1 to 14 and now again from 13E1 to 15E5.

i Choose to let it run for acouple of days.
now it seems back to the levels where it was with 13E1

maybee beamforming has something to do with this

i have a AC66U

Curious thing! After upgrading to 15E5 I noticed that quality and strength of the 5GHz on my 68U router had dropped down to 30% - 35% at the furthest corner of my house were my Linksys Bridge WUMC710 is located. Mind you that the signal there was always around 75% with all previous version of @john9527 I couldn't live with it. The Linksys extender RE6500 in the house was showing the 5Ghz at three bars at best with the 15E5 firmware, poor strength and quality. The 2.4GHz was showing normal levels all the time.

I flushed the 14E1 back to the Router, rebooted and presto, signal back to normal levels at the bridge and the extender. Anyone else noticed something like that with their 68U on the 5GHz side? I think I'll stay with the 14E1 for a bit, see how things turn up. :D

I probably won't be putting out a formal release until after the New Year, but in case anyone wants to try out the latest I've uploaded a Beta release. (It's what I'm currently running :))
Note it's a different download location from the stable release location.

BETA RELEASE: Update-16B5
11-December-2015
Merlin fork 374.43_2-16B5j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1sDtB1V
============================

Changelog
  • Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.2e
  • Did my own code review and closed multiple buffer overflow exposures
  • Updated e2fsprogs to latest Merlin level
  • Increased max Parental Controls to 32
  • Updated entware install script to entware-ng
  • Added support for igmpproxy customization
  • Fixed Smart Sync not syncing after start (ASUS binary updates) - @DocUmibozu
  • Fix router failure at boot if NFS is active - @ziolupo
  • Add valid ip address check/retries/logging to QoS start - @strangeluck
  • Add new option to System Log>Connections to display connection count summary - @UserEasy
  • Fix vendor lookup from the networkmap client status - @Wisiwyg
  • NTP Updates
    • Show successful NTP syncs in syslog by default
      The successful sync logs can be disabled in the gui in the Syslog options, failures will always be shown
    • Allow changing the alternate NTP server in the gui (the router already actually used 2 NTP servers, this just externalizes the second server)
    • Allow changing the time between NTP syncs in the gui
      Note: Setting the sync interval to '0' disables sync attempts and tells the router to accept as valid whatever time is set (useful when the router is not connected to the internet, and the time is set manually via the command line (use with caution) - @dasbrot)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!