What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No. The RT-AC57U has completely different hardware.
Thank you for the answer! I was trying to find a different distribution for the RT-AC57U since the standard version feels really limited and buggy but I cannot find anyone that supports this model. Do you know any other I could try and check?

Thank you for the answer! I was trying to find a different distribution for the RT-AC57U since the standard version feels really limited and buggy but I cannot find anyone that supports this model. Do you know any other I could try and check?
I'm not aware of any alternate firmware. Wikidevi says there's Padavan but I'm not sure that're true.

Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly long time user, but it's the first time I've posted on here. I really appreciate the firmware stability and I hope to be able to support it more going forward.

I could use some advice.

I'm having a unique problem where I'm losing WAN connectivity. Here are my specs:
  • RT-AC66R
  • Firmware: 374.43_39E39527
This problem first appeared on 39E1 (but that could be a coincidence). Originally, it appeared I was only losing wireless connectivity to the WAN because when I went to the wired desktop it was connected. However, I now think that the WAN access just returned by the time I got to the desktop.

I performed the factory reset / nvram erase guide followed by flashing the latest 374.43 version multiple times and it doesn't seem to make a difference. My last attempt, I went through the reset and went with most of the defaults (rather than restoring my configuration). The only thing I changed was the basics (ssid, password, etc.). I'm still experiencing the same issue.

I've upped the logging and I'm not seeing anything significant. I would say that I *generally* see these messages follow a loss of connectivity:

May 4 12:06:58 (none) user.warn kernel: wlc_dump_aggfifo:
May 4 12:06:58 (none) user.warn kernel: framerdy 0x10 bmccmd 4 framecnt 4
May 4 12:06:58 (none) user.warn kernel: AQM agg params 0xfc0 maxlen hi/lo 0x0 0xffff minlen 0x0 adjlen 0x8
May 4 12:06:58 (none) user.warn kernel: AQM agg results 0x8000 len hi/lo: 0x0 0x0 BAbitmap(0-3) 0 0 0 0

I will then see some DROPs (anywhere from 5-20), but they are always different ip addresses, ports, etc. and I didn't see anything that correlates so I'm not sure it's significant. I should also point out the events listed above + the drops sometimes appear without an apparent loss of connectivity, so I'm not sure it correlates 100%.

Other random tidbits:
  • WAN uptime doesn't always reset, so I'm guessing that depends on the outage time.
  • I have tried different DNS servers/providers including my ISP's and it doesn't seem to make a difference. FWIW - I've mostly been using Adguards lately.
  • I don't seem to lose wireless AP access. I can get to the router and see the logs, etc.
  • Outages can occur once or twice a day or it may not happen for 2 or 3 days.
  • Utilization appears to be extremely low <.15, but perhaps I'm just not seeing the spike. Memory usage also seems fine 165MB free out of 233.92 MB
  • I see temperature about 52 degrees celsius (according to the router), but the ambient temperature is 68-72 degrees Farenheight. I've made sure not to adjust the wireless power output anymore to avoid any potential overheating scenarios.
  • The last message I just saw that looks concerning was this: May 4 12:30:44 (none) user.info rc_service: httpd 7923:notify_rc restart_wlcscan. However, this wasn't associated with a loss of connectivity nor do I recall seeing it before.
In one of my past jobs, I had to support some SonicWALL devices and every once in awhile I'd run across a unique problem where I had to call support. The few times I had to call they would always suggest a reset and reload, but most of the time that would not resolve the problem and the issue would subsequently be fixed in a future firmware release. I'm definitely *not* saying this is a firmware issue here. The only reason I bring this up is I'd like to avoid the endless reset / re-flash solution if possible. I've already gone through the procedure 3 times and the family is getting a little restless. ;-)

At this point, I'm considering a "new" ASUS router, a new mesh solution (although not really loving a lot of the customization options for current solutions), swapping out my cable modem, installing an ASA at home, getting my syslog server back up and running, possibly the reset with the utility / instead of following the procedure manually. Are there any other suggestions I'm not seeing since I can't see the forest through the trees? ;-)

This is one of those situations where just bouncing ideas off someone else can be helpful; Thanks in advance for your time.

Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly long time user, but it's the first time I've posted on here. I really appreciate the firmware stability and I hope to be able to support it more going forward.

I could use some advice.

I'm having a unique problem where I'm losing WAN connectivity. Here are my specs:
  • RT-AC66R
  • Firmware: 374.43_39E39527
This problem first appeared on 39E1 (but that could be a coincidence). Originally, it appeared I was losing only wireless connectivity to the WAN because when I went to the wired desktop it was connected. However, I now think that the WAN access just returned by the time I got to the desktop.

I performed the factory reset / nvram erase guide followed by flashing the latest 374.43 version multiple times and it doesn't seem to make a difference. My last attempt, I went through the reset and went with most of the defaults (rather than restoring my configuration). The only thing I changed was the basics (ssid, password, etc.). I'm still experiencing the same issue.

I've upped the logging and I'm not seeing anything significant. I would say that I *generally* see these messages follow a loss of connectivity:

May 4 12:06:58 (none) user.warn kernel: wlc_dump_aggfifo:
May 4 12:06:58 (none) user.warn kernel: framerdy 0x10 bmccmd 4 framecnt 4
May 4 12:06:58 (none) user.warn kernel: AQM agg params 0xfc0 maxlen hi/lo 0x0 0xffff minlen 0x0 adjlen 0x8
May 4 12:06:58 (none) user.warn kernel: AQM agg results 0x8000 len hi/lo: 0x0 0x0 BAbitmap(0-3) 0 0 0 0

I will then see some DROPs (anywhere from 5-20), but they are always different ip addresses, ports, etc. and I didn't see anything that correlates so I'm not sure it's significant. I should also point out the events listed above + the drops sometimes appear without an apparent loss of connectivity, so I'm not sure it correlates 100%.

Other random tidbits:
  • WAN uptime doesn't always reset, so I'm guessing that depends on the outage time.
  • I have tried different DNS servers/providers including my ISP's and it doesn't seem to make a difference. FWIW - I've mostly been using Adguards lately.
  • I don't seem to lose wireless AP access. I can get to the router and see the logs, etc.
  • Outages can occur once or twice a day or it may not happen for 2 or 3 days.
  • Utilization appears to be extremely low <.15, but perhaps I'm just not seeing the spike. Memory usage also seems fine 165MB free out of 233.92 MB
  • I see temperature about 52 degrees celsius (according to the router), but the ambient temperature is 68-72 degrees Farenheight. I've made sure not to adjust the wireless power output anymore to avoid any potential overheating scenarios.
  • The last message I just saw that looks concerning was this: May 4 12:30:44 (none) user.info rc_service: httpd 7923:notify_rc restart_wlcscan. However, this wasn't associated with a loss of connectivity nor do I recall seeing it before.
In one of my past jobs, I had to support some SonicWALL devices and every once in awhile I'd run across a unique problem where I had to call support. The few times I had to call they would always suggest a reset and reload, but most of the time that would not resolve the problem and the issue would subsequently be fixed in a future firmware release. The only reason I bring this up is I'd like to avoid the endless reset / re-flash solution if possible. I've already gone through the procedure 3 times and the family is getting a little restless. ;-)

At this point, I'm considering a "new" ASUS router, a new mesh solution (although not really loving a lot of the customization options for current solutions), swapping out my cable modem, installing an ASA at home, getting my syslog server back up and running, possibly the reset with the utility / instead of following the procedure manually. Are there any other suggestions I'm not seeing since I can't see the forest through the trees? ;-)

This is one of those situations where just bouncing ideas off someone else can be helpful; Thanks in advance for your time.

It's not clear if you flashed the version you want to use and then performed a full reset to factory defaults afterward?

If my guess is correct and you flashed afterward, you did not do it properly and that may be why your router is not in a good/known state.

See the link in my signature to perform a reset properly. No guarantee that it will fix the issue. But it is the first step when trying to troubleshoot these seemingly random glitches you're seeing (i.e. get the router to a good/known state first).

It's not clear if you flashed the version you want to use and then performed a full reset to factory defaults afterward?

If my guess is correct and you flashed afterward, you did not do it properly and that may be why your router is not in a good/known state.

See the link in my signature to perform a reset properly. No guarantee that it will fix the issue. But it is the first step when trying to troubleshoot these seemingly random glitches you're seeing (i.e. get the router to a good/known state first).

Thanks for the response. You are right, that was a very poor explanation on my part. My apologies, but the message was already long and I didn't want to detail every reset attempt. To make a long story short, I followed the default factory resets in this guide: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

As an act of desperation, I did try flashing the firmware after the reset, but that was only after the previous 17 attempts failed. In those previous attempts, I didn't flash afterward. Unfortunately, the symptoms are exactly the same regardless of the factory reset method or whether I flashed the new firmware afterward (which was only on a few attempts). I guess that's why I'm a little reluctant to go through the factory reset method again. Anytime you need to start setting up a spreadsheet to detail your reset methods and results, it gets to be a little...tedious. Especially when you are manually going through the setup (just to avoid any potential corruption with the restore config files).

I really appreciate your response and suggestions though. Sorry again for the poor explanation in my original post.

Thanks for the response. You are right, that was a very poor explanation on my part. My apologies, but the message was already long and I didn't want to detail every reset attempt. To make a long story short, I followed the default factory resets in this guide: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

As an act of desperation, I did try flashing the firmware after the reset, but that was only after the previous 17 attempts failed. In those previous attempts, I didn't flash afterward. Unfortunately, the symptoms are exactly the same regardless of the factory reset method or whether I flashed the new firmware afterward (which was only on a few attempts). I guess that's why I'm a little reluctant to go through the factory reset method again. Anytime you need to start setting up a spreadsheet to detail your reset methods and results, it gets to be a little...tedious. Especially when you are manually going through the setup (just to avoid any potential corruption with the restore config files).

I really appreciate your response and suggestions though. Sorry again for the poor explanation in my original post.

Thank you for the details and no need to apologize either. :)

Have you ruled out the power supply as the issue? They tend to start (soft) failing after a while.

I do use a spreadsheet as a diary or journal for each router I am responsible for. And it is useful to track changes that we may otherwise forget. :)

If you want to try resetting 'fully' one more time, look at the link in my signature, but the overall process I would follow would be this:
  1. Pull the power plug from the router (not the ac power plug from the wall socket) and wait 2 minutes.
  2. Hold down the WPS button and keep holding it down while plugging in the power plug.
  3. Hold for 10 to 30 seconds and then let go of the WPS button. Wait (it may take longer than usual) for the router to reboot and if done successfully, the WPS NVRAM erase procedure above should land us at the GUI wizard setup screens. If it didn't, repeat step 2 and keep holding until the router reboots.
  4. Do a quick/temporary wizard setup and when you have access to the GUI, set the 'Format the jffs partition on next boot' option and make sure you hit Apply at the bottom of the page. Reboot the router twice, waiting 10 minutes between reboots.
  5. Now, using the GUI, reset to factory defaults.
  6. When the router reboots, do another quick/temporary wizard setup and then flash the firmware you want to use.
  7. Do a final quick/temporary wizard setup after it has booted again and reset to factory defaults one more time.
  8. Now, following the recommendations in the M&M Config link, do a final wizard setup and then minimally and manually configure the router to connect to your ISP and secure your router. Do not use a saved config file.
  9. Use the router as-is for as long as you need to know it is stable. Once convinced, introduce one change at a time and then do the same for the identical or longer period.
  10. Do not use old settings that may not be needed anymore. Remember that the firmware keeps evolving too.
If the above, along with trying a new power supply doesn't solve the issues for you, it may hint at a possible hardware fault.

Thank you for the details and no need to apologize either. :)

Have you ruled out the power supply as the issue? They tend to start (soft) failing after a while.

I do use a spreadsheet as a diary or journal for each router I am responsible for. And it is useful to track changes that we may otherwise forget. :)

If you want to try resetting 'fully' one more time, look at the link in my signature, but the overall process I would follow would be this:
  1. Pull the power plug from the router (not the ac power plug from the wall socket) and wait 2 minutes.
  2. Hold down the WPS button and keep holding it down while plugging in the power plug.
  3. Hold for 10 to 30 seconds and then let go of the WPS button. Wait (it may take longer than usual) for the router to reboot and if done successfully, the WPS NVRAM erase procedure above should land us at the GUI wizard setup screens. If it didn't, repeat step 2 and keep holding until the router reboots.
  4. Do a quick/temporary wizard setup and when you have access to the GUI, set the 'Format the jffs partition on next boot' option and make sure you hit Apply at the bottom of the page. Reboot the router twice, waiting 10 minutes between reboots.
  5. Now, using the GUI, reset to factory defaults.
  6. When the router reboots, do another quick/temporary wizard setup and then flash the firmware you want to use.
  7. Do a final quick/temporary wizard setup after it has booted again and reset to factory defaults one more time.
  8. Now, following the recommendations in the M&M Config link, do a final wizard setup and then minimally and manually configure the router to connect to your ISP and secure your router. Do not use a saved config file.
  9. Use the router as-is for as long as you need to know it is stable. Once convinced, introduce one change at a time and then do the same for the identical or longer period.
  10. Do not use old settings that may not be needed anymore. Remember that the firmware keeps evolving too.
If the above, along with trying a new power supply doesn't solve the issues for you, it may hint at a possible hardware fault.

Just a quick update.

I haven't ruled out the power supply failing (especially since it's old), but I would expect to see something in the logs about reboots + the clients losing connectivity to the AP (which doesn't always happen). Does that sound right to you guys?

I did try the NVRAM erase and format JFFS partition, but I haven't done the M&M config link, etc, so I may try that going forward.

After another 30 minute Internet outage, I finally got to L3 with my ISP. They claimed my cable modem was offline (although a quick visual inspection showed it online). Upon further investigation, they claim I'm maxing out my upload bandwidth...

...This seems a little far fetched as I only had a handful of devices connected and the only uploads I have going on is 2 Backblaze client uploads (1 of which was up to date so it wasn't uploading anything), so I'm not really buying their story right now (especially since I've been using this solution/software for over 6 months)...

I decided to swap out my cable modem (because I had a new one and I was already on the phone with them). Also seems like an unlikely solution, but when grasping at straws.... ;-)

Thanks again for all your feedback guys. If you have any other thoughts/suggestions you want to share, they are more than welcome!! :-D

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :)

When power issues are the culprit, I would not trust anything to work properly, not even logs.

See what the changes you have done bring, but a new power supply is a cheap way to know it wasn't the old one that is holding the router back now. ;)

Well, it was a short honeymoon. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 hours before I lost Internet connectivity. The thing is I never seem to lose connectivity with the Router/AP (at least not in any of the incidents today). I can always view the configuration, system logs, etc. (at least today) This is (now) making extremely suspicious of this being an issue with the router/AP.

I also don't see how this can be an upload bandwidth issue. I was down to a handful of devices on the LAN. An iPad, 1 Amazon Echo, 1 PC, and a Google home device. None of them seem to be generating any significant upload traffic. I'm even watching my PC (Surface Pro) and watching the network activity and its under 0.5 Mbps (and that includes download traffic, so this ISP theory seems extremely suspect.). I'm also not seeing and port forwarding or excessive connections + I changed my ssid and password so an unexpected guest seemed unlikely anyway.

I can say I'm running out of ideas. I think I may have a Tmobile AC66R router laying around, so I may try that (which would also eliminate a potential power supply issue, but that seems unlikely to me since I never seem to lose connectivity with the Router/AP). However, if I swap out hardware and the family needs to change their ssid/password again there's a 50-50 chance I might get shanked. ;-)

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears. Perhaps when my Cisco certifications expired it sucked out all my network related knowledge as well. ;-)

Thanks again for everyone's time

I can say I'm running out of ideas. I think I may have a Tmobile AC66R router laying around, so I may try that (which would also eliminate a potential power supply issue, but that seems unlikely to me since I never seem to lose connectivity with the Router/AP). However, if I swap out hardware and the family needs to change their ssid/password again there's a 50-50 chance I might get shanked. ;-)
Is T-mobile an Asus too? Then probably power adapter interchangable.
Use same SSID/PW, no need to change anything on client side (except they wont connect).

Last edited:
Anyone able to help me with my issue? , because I seem to be getting politely blanked atm?
You're not being ignored, it's just that no one has anything additional to say. Your problems are browser related and therefore nothing really to do with this thread.

Ah yes i did disable DNSSEC just to see the result which works (i'll turn it back on) still have that forth check box to tick, though i think that one is not a big worry right?
PM me your paypal details Dave i owe you a beer
If you select "Server only" in the DNSSEC validation method instead of strict, it will report correctly on the CF website with DNSSEC enabled.

If you select "Server only" in the DNSSEC validation method instead of strict, it will report correctly on the CF website with DNSSEC enabled.

Ah!! Thank you - I've been battling with this for ages. I presumed I had to use dnsmasq in order to make use of diversion I have installed - guess I was wrong?

Hmmm...someone earlier with an AC66 posted a problem when enabling the DFS channels (it allowed selection of channel at 40MHz width that it shouldn't) but the channels were available. But he was running the 'E' build. It's possible that the DFS enable requires the newer drivers in the 'E' build.

Can you try the 'E' build and see if the channels become available? (unfortunately I don't have an AC66 to test on)

I had the same problem today on n66u 374.43_39E3j9527 but nvram set wl_dfs_enable=1 worked as expected.

It depends....I always want to try and help everyone to get the best setup for their environment. If you are having disconnect issues or having trouble with some services (particularly Apple) when in AP or Media Bridge mode, Merlin's latest code may be worth a try. It has some enhancements that are just too involved for me to try and implement.
Hi

I am having major issues wity my
AC-66 as media bridge node on merlins 380.70 (final release) - Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1

main router being
RT-2900 (bascially same as AC-86) on Asus FW 3.0.0.4.384_45149 -
5MHz ch width 20/40/80MH (main channel 100, extension Auto) Used for Media bridge (and other stuff as I can strangely connect my phone to the same net - I thought it was to be reserved for the bridge?)

Frequent disconnects (every 30-60minutes). Some times it comes back after a few minutes.
Sometime i have to reboot any of the routers or reconnect the media bridge to 2.4 and go back to 5MHz
It seems like it drops the WiFi for no apparent reason, even though the bridge of says "connected" when it obviously is not, as I cant reach the main router from the bridge upon disconnects.
Needless to say something seems broken...somewhere and I have googled my eyes red and read about many haveing the same issue without any obvious solution.
Some run more stable than mine though (I had the same issue with two AC-66 thus switched one to a RT-2900 hoping for better result but it actually is worse now with the 2900 as main router)

Where do You think the culprit is and which FW should be most stable for the two above?

Thanks You
Boogie

AC68U on 39E3, Comcast static IPV4. Having problems getting IPV6 to work. Comcast modem is not bridged but I have three routers connected to it with static IP addresses. Tech did turn off the wifi and entered something in the modem to get the existing IPV4 addresses to work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Edit: Fixed my issue by installing Merlin 384.11. IPV6 Native worked the first attempt!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!