What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also been reported with devices running Android 9 (and maybe 8.1)

having this issue too and nothing worked with guest networks, 2.4GHz, etc.

i disabled "NAT Acceleration" and it stayed up through the night though. Rebooted the Android phones (Pixel 2s) multiple times, turned off wifi and turned it back on, let them sleep and woke them up, and it seemed to stay up.

I'm optimistic but am wondering if there's a true fix that can be implemented?

There's this post that has a lot of technical info and it seems to be a null pointer and that flooding that Google does looking for any devices to play with: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...phone-connects-to-its-wifi.48421/#post-431093

is there any hope for an update instead of having to buy a new router?

I tried searching for dd-wrt in this thread, but apparently the forum search doesn't like it since it's a common search term.

So, I looked at the Upgrade Path text file and see that the common path is from stock firmware for the RT-N16 router. I currently have a K3 build of dd-wrt installed on the router (which took a number of steps, outlined here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16#Install_DD-WRT_from_Factory_Firmware basically, install a 2013 K2.6 build, then a transition firmware K3 to repartition the flash, then the latest K3 big build). Can I upgrade straight to Merlin E (with the reparitioned flash) or do I need to fallback to factory Asus firmware and then upgrade to Merlin?

I'm comfortable with the ASUS Recovery Tool, etc. It's just when I'm going through this process I won't have any additional internet access, so I need to have all tools with me already downloaded.

@phdeez I don't have any personal experience flashing the RT-N16 but if I were you I think I'd flash back to the stock Asus firmware (using the instructions you linked to) before updating to this fork.

@phdeez as far as I know, you can freely switch between John's fork and DD-WRT. I upgraded my N66W from this fork to DD-WRT K3 (BrainSlayer Build #40352) and only step I took was resetting my router before and after the process. However, I've never tried vice versa.

@ColinTaylor Thanks for the response. I figured I would need to end up doing that, but was hoping I wouldn't.

@underdose I think the RT-N16 is different since the Kernel 3.x line of firmwares required a re-partition of the flash whereas the N66W was likely already partitioned to allow larger firmwares without issue.

I was really hoping someone with an RT-N16 had experience switching between dd-wrt and John's Merlin fork.

I guess my thought was since John's fork of Merlin didn't call out a specific process to re-partition the flash for the RT-N16 like dd-wrt did from factory firmware if I flashed his on top of dd-wrt K3 the router might get hosed.

I’m using latest build as AP. What is the recommendation to bust signal strength from default 80mW? I set it to 100mW. I don’t want to become unsafe for my younger kids.
Thx

I’m using latest build as AP. What is the recommendation to bust signal strength from default 80mW? I set it to 100mW. I don’t want to become unsafe for my younger kids.
Thx
If you're concerned aboud kids' safety. then you should lower signal level, not make it stronger. 2.4 GHz bands have pretty good coverage, and if it's not enough for your place then consider improving your home network with more APs or even replacing it with mesh set.

I'm trying to compile John's 374.43 LTS branch for the RT-N66U. I managed to build a firmware image for the 'E'-build (with the current WLAN drivers) from the branch head (compiling form the realeases/src-rt-6.x directory).
However I did not find a way to create an 'L' build with the legacy drivers. I did not find any documentation or any thread discussing this topic. Any hints how to toggle the compilation between E and L builds?
Thanks for your help,
Nik.

If you're concerned aboud kids' safety. then you should lower signal level, not make it stronger. 2.4 GHz bands have pretty good coverage, and if it's not enough for your place then consider improving your home network with more APs or even replacing it with mesh set.
Thank you and back to 80mW. I had some stability signal issues with a 100mw anyways.

So is it time to go back to ASUS standard firmware for AC66's? Seems John may not be coming back and no one is picking up development on the fork. Wondering if the June update from ASUS may be worth installing?

So is it time to go back to ASUS standard firmware for AC66's? Seems John may not be coming back and no one is picking up development on the fork. Wondering if the June update from ASUS may be worth installing?
Everything is up to you. Feel free to install whatever you want. Whenever you want.

Everything is up to you. Feel free to install whatever you want. Whenever you want.
Ha thanks for that valuable input. I wasn't aware I had that much freedom. Much appreciated!

The canary in the coal mine will be @ColinTaylor. If he makes a move off the fork, we know it’s serious. :eek:

Can I flash dirty my n66u from v39e3 to 380.66? Or do I have to do Asus recovery? I’m having some AP performance issues and I want to try different firmware. Thx

Can I flash dirty my n66u from v39e3 to 380.66? Or do I have to do Asus recovery? I’m having some AP performance issues and I want to try different firmware. Thx
You should be able to flash with no problem but you will for sure need to factory reset once you’re on 380

I'm on Firmware:374.43_2-39L3j9527. Sometimes I got Internet broken when in log's see this:
ISP's DHCP works badly. And the ISP's hardware cannot get my MAC. I try to remap WAN to any LAN but useless. So I'm now without Internet. When I Plug WAN cable to my notebook directly it works perfectly, but stuck with router. The ISP told me that my router is dead or broken. I try to reset or update Firmware - useless. Sometimes, couple of mounts ago, with same problem router just got work by itself. Now I'm frustrated: do I really need to change router?
I'm on AC68U.

I'm on Firmware:374.43_2-39L3j9527. Sometimes I got Internet broken when in log's see this:
ISP's DHCP works badly. And the ISP's hardware cannot get my MAC. I try to remap WAN to any LAN but useless. So I'm now without Internet. When I Plug WAN cable to my notebook directly it works perfectly, but stuck with router. The ISP told me that my router is dead or broken. I try to reset or update Firmware - useless. Sometimes, couple of mounts ago, with same problem router just got work by itself. Now I'm frustrated: do I really need to change router?
I'm on AC68U.
Maybe your router is dead, but it’s hard to tell after looking through all those syslog lines from dnsmasq. The most recent entry was from Aug 22, so is that when your trouble started? If you get the router working again, post your DNS configuration to help cleanup those log messages. It seems the syslog you posted was from firmware earlier than 39L3 because @john9527 improved the insecure DS reply message in 36E5j9527.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!