What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A couple of items...

First, by request I've added a build for the RT-N16 to the download area. Hope that helps out.

Second, I was getting ready to post an Update-02 release with a few more items included...then I hit the virtual 'pause' button. According to my tracker there have been 267 clicks over to my download area. In all those downloads, there have been two unique issues reported...An OpenVPN DNS issue which was resolved with a setting on the VPN client page, and and IPV6 failure to obtain an address which was resolved by re-plugging the modem ethernet cable. So, no new issues.

People are reporting good wireless performance. The key security update for OpenSSL has already been included in the first release.

So, at this point my thinking is that I'm going to hold off for a while in posting a new release. As they say...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'll keep watching what's going on and working in the background for a future second release.

As always, If anyone has a concern or request for a particular fix or update, please feel free to bring it up. Thanks.

RT-N16 Update

Time to say thanks, just download it at my work place, i will update soon i get home

Thank you so much for this update :cool:

So, at this point my thinking is that I'm going to hold off for a while in posting a new release. As they say...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'll keep watching what's going on and working in the background for a future second release.

As always, If anyone has a concern or request for a particular fix or update, please feel free to bring it up. Thanks.

+1
I am very happy with the current release, thank you again for your efforts!

Regarding a potential future fix...

...there is currently a lot of fuzz about a patch for LZO, fixing an integer overflow regression.
But I cannot find if this is/has been fixed by the openVPN devs yet...maybe worth watching.

+1
I am very happy with the current release, thank you again for your efforts!

Regarding a potential future fix...

...there is currently a lot of fuzz about a patch for LZO, fixing an integer overflow regression.
But I cannot find if this is/has been fixed by the openVPN devs yet...maybe worth watching.

The LZO patch is interesting. From what I have read, the integer overflow has actually been there forever (last 20 years or so) and was found by a code inspection. NASA is worried about it since they use LZO routines to compress the digital pictures for transmission from things like the Mars rovers. They are afraid it will cause a hang and they will lose their remote control ability.

And....yes....that is one of the things I had picked up in the second update.

The LZO overflow was fixed in LZO 2.07, and only occurs when processing very large data buffers (larger than 16 MB). OpenVPN works with very small packets, so is very unlikely to be vulnerable to this issue. In fact the LZO author says he's not aware of any client program that uses such large buffers.

(2) Turn off the exclamation point warning if SAMBA or FTP sharing is enabled to the guest account

The 2nd change modifies the stock firmware's behaviour, which makes me cringe a bit. People who run custom firmware are usually smart enough to understand the security risk with unauthenticated users. Again, maybe an option?

For people who run custom firmware and are smart enough to understand User CSS... :)
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=119958&highlight=notification_on#post119958

Thanks for taking the time to report back. Can now mark the AC66 as verified working.

5GHz doesn't work for me. I went back and forth between merlin .45 en this build a few times to test

went back to merlin .43 too, 5 Ghz not working either must be because I was messing with the region regulation :s

Last edited:
on ASUS RT-N66U i downgrade from .45 (Merlin build) to Firmware:374.43_2-01j9527 (Merlin build) without reset default.

that why i do not see channel 12 and 13 under 2.4g

my AC66U on .45 (Merlin build) also don't see channel 12 and 13 so i suppose it is in US.

hmm.. saw inside the link for below...

nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set wl0_country=#a
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country=#a
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot
It will make possible:
Channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 at 2,4GHz, power up to 200mW.
Channels 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165 at 5GHz, power up to 200mW.

will someone do the above?
I tried but it only works for me for 2.4GHZ, I lose 5GHz

I tried but it only works for me for 2.4GHZ, I lose 5GHz

It should work OK. Did you ever have an early version of .44 loaded? There was a problem there that prevented 5Ghz from working correctly and needs a factory reset to correct. In any event, I would pick a code level and do a factory reset to start fresh.

It should work OK. Did you ever have an early version of .44 loaded? There was a problem there that prevented 5Ghz from working correctly and needs a factory reset to correct. In any event, I would pick a code level and do a factory reset to start fresh.

I just tried again. I did a factory reset but after trying to set the country code to #a I loose 5 GHz again

John, I think your conservative approach is a good idea.

Thank you John9527

Up over 19 hours on RT-N66U without issue. Range & speed are very important to me. Did not try .44 or .45 due to range loss and clamp down on power output & ability to run 40MHZ wide.

I use guest networks for thermostats / items that need internet but not network access (security). Additional AP's (which i also have in place) will not solve so range is what is need to allow second thermostat / garage openers to connect. Plus I like to force 40MHZ wide to get additional wireless speed / throughput.

Anyhow wanted to say thanks & make you aware that I am using your firmware. I hope others who are using will post to give you an idea of usage.

RT-N66U on 374.43_2-01j9527

9 days and 10 hours uptime.
Uning OpenVPN a lot.

Solid. :)

i have Ac56 u router with 374.43_2 merlin firmware, i changed the country code to #a and all is working fine; jonny , if i put your build is needed to reset country code again ?

Last edited:
i have Ac56 u router with 374.43_2 merlin firmware, i changed the country code to #a and all is working fine; jonny , if i put your build is needed to reset country code again ?

I just tested on my AC68U and the country code change stayed in place after the firmware update. I would do an 'Administration/Save settings' first just in case so you could restore if necessary. It's always a good idea to have a saved configuration around....

Just flashed my router with your build, country not changed, range is good again. Thank you for keep us updated.
i wonder if is ok that EU on wl_contry_code

nvram show | grep country
wl0_country_code=#a
size: 50966 bytes (14570 left)
wl0_country_rev=0
wl_country_code=EU
wl1_country_rev=0
wl_country_rev=0
wl1_country_code=#a
modem_country=

this is my speed on wi-fi 5m from router >> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzwq8_00PhMUWG1USzRNc0Q4VG8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!