What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After I extract the trx file, is that what I upload to the router? I tried to just upload the zip file but that failed.

My router's firmware version is 3.0.0.4.270 so I don't think I can use the tool. When I try to load the zip it says invalid ip address.

Ok I have the trx uploading from the admin firmware page of the router. Currently at 89% and will report back after reboot

The reboot is done and I can connect to the router without logging in. When I go to 192.168.1.1 it's asking for username and password. What do i use?

Router is rebooting now... Sorry if my step by step posts are annoying you guys. I just really would like to be a hero around here by actually getting this to work. Thank you to all that are helping me on this journey.

I was able to go in and enter my Xfinitywifi credentials but that doesn't give me any connection so I just switched to the NEW repeater mode option and am going to try connecting to Xfinitywifi that way.

That's a no-go. I tried connecting to Xfinity wifi as repeater but it only gave me an option to create 2 new APs but never asked me to login to Xfinitywifi. I feel like I'm so close but so far away. What am I doing wrong?

* I can see that the Merlin lts firmware is successfully installed but none of the icons at the top right are lit up

After a factory reset the green broadcasting icon and the yellow exclamation are lit. When I click the green broadcast (wifi) icon it shows me the wifi channels.
When I click the yellow exclamation mark it wants me to change the default network login credentials and encrypt the wifi networks. Where do I sign into Xfinitywifi BEFORE I change any of that?

After a factory reset the green broadcasting icon and the yellow exclamation are lit. When I click the green broadcast (wifi) icon it shows me the wifi channels.
When I click the yellow exclamation mark it wants me to change the default network login credentials and encrypt the wifi networks. Where do I sign into Xfinitywifi BEFORE I change any of that?
Sorry @AsusRod I assumed that you were connecting to a standard cable modem. I'd never heard of Xfinitywifi before. It appears to be some sort of WiFi-only internet service, is that correct? If that's the case what are you wanting to do with the Asus, use it as a simple repeater?

EDIT: I suggest you follow these instructions:

Last edited:
Yes I want to use it as a repeater. I just recently moved to a new location and do not have internet setup here. At the moment my Xfinity account is still active but because of wiring or some BS I can't use the modem here. Getting them to schedule a tech appears to be a issue because there is something going on with the previous owner of the property's account.

It shouldn't be my problem but Xfinity is trying to hold me accountable for the previous resident's negative balance even though my account is in good standing. I have my modem and everything from my old apartment but apparently it's not usable here. I can see that there are Xfinitywifi accounts here that I can connect to on my phone but I am trying to connect 1 smart TV and since it can't do the Xfinity login redirect I can't put my fiance's favorite shows on the tv.

Doing some research I found where some were able to use ddwrt software to repeat the xfinitywifi signal so I went out and bought this Asus router after learning about John's fork.

The fork appears to be installed correctly and the router did not brick so I believe I'm almost there BUT I can't get it to connect to the Xfinitywifi AP to serve that signal to my smart TV.

I can see that there are Xfinitywifi accounts here that I can connect to on my phone but I am trying to connect 1 smart TV and since it can't do the Xfinity login redirect I can't put my fiance's favorite shows on the tv.
OK I assumed (again) that his was something that was already working with this router and you were merely trying to update the firmware to something newer. Now it sounds like you have never used this router with Xfinitywifi before? It sounds like Xfinitywifi has a captive portal logon system, where not only do you have to connect to the SSID using the normal WiFi password but you also have to log in on some sort of web page? If that is the case then we've been wasting our time as Asuswrt (and John's fork of it) does not support that sort of connection.

Doing some research I found where some were able to use ddwrt software to repeat the xfinitywifi signal so I went out and bought this Asus router after learning about John's fork.
DD-WRT is not the same as Asuswrt (or John' fork of it). IIRC DD-WRT does have some kind of captive portal support but I don't know any more than that. But it sounds like you're going to have to install DD-WRT to connect to Xfinitywifi.

Ahh ok, I found that this is firmware was a newer build than the ddwrt stuff and figured it pretty much did the same thing but more. Chalk it up to my noobiness lol. Can I flash ddwrt over this upgraded John's fork build? Or will it brick when I attempt to?

Can I flash ddwrt over this upgraded John's fork build? Or will it brick when I attempt to?
The process should be the same as it would be for installing DD-WRT over stock Asus firmware, whatever that process is. You'll have to look on the DD-WRT website/forums for the details.

Ahh ok, I found that this is firmware was a newer build than the ddwrt stuff and figured it pretty much did the same thing but more. Chalk it up to my noobiness lol. Can I flash ddwrt over this upgraded John's fork build? Or will it brick when I attempt to?

Yes, you can. Just download the relevant file from DD-WRT website/FTP, flash it via the web GUI and you're good to go.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!