Release [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V44EA)

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you will not be able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened. Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.

Marsi4eg

Regular Contributor
fyi if you disable Hardware Acceleration in john's firmware it fixes the Android crashing
Did you experience exactly the same as I described? I tried a million steps to make it no crash on different firmwares, including disabling hw NAT acceleration, but kernel log is saying the problem is wireless driver crashing, nothing related to hardware NAT acceleration. And the only firmware that still stable and doesn't crash is "Advanced Tomato"

But well, I still didn't try to disable hw acceleration on john's fork (L build), I'm tired of reflashings through restoration utility, making resets etc, just to have 2 minute test and face the same. So please, if you had exactly the same problem and it was really fixed by disabling hw acceleration exactly in john's fork (while it doesn't fix this in official and Merlin's) - just let me know.

a5m

Regular Contributor
Sorry for the noob question ...

My 68U is on Merlin 384.13 and I want to try John's fork to see if it improves repeater mode (and maybe even allows me to use repeater over 5g) but when I go into CFE Mini-Web Server and try to flash RT-AC68U_374.43_39E3j9527.trx I get "The file transferred is not a valid firmware image."

I also tried flashing FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx but same error.

Trying through ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool just says "Cannot connect to router."

Is something wrong with my firmware/bootloader? Do I need to downgrade to <380 before flashing John's?
IIRC you have to put the router in Recovery Mode when using the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool to flash from Merlin to John's Fork.

Hold the Reset Button while powering on and wait until the Power LED flashes slowly. Give it a minute though before using the Tool otherwise you'll get an error.

PringoBo

Occasional Visitor
Did you experience exactly the same as I described? I tried a million steps to make it no crash on different firmwares, including disabling hw NAT acceleration, but kernel log is saying the problem is wireless driver crashing, nothing related to hardware NAT acceleration. And the only firmware that still stable and doesn't crash is "Advanced Tomato"

But well, I still didn't try to disable hw acceleration on john's fork (L build), I'm tired of reflashings through restoration utility, making resets etc, just to have 2 minute test and face the same. So please, if you had exactly the same problem and it was really fixed by disabling hw acceleration exactly in john's fork (while it doesn't fix this in official and Merlin's) - just let me know.
all i know is we brought in two google phones running Oreo/Pie and the RTN66U was crashing each time they woke up and connected to wifi. tried every setting on the phone (private dns, ipv6) etc. rerouted logs to usb on the router so i would have them after it rebooted and did a bunch of other debug scripting.

swedish android forums said disabling hardware/nat acceleration fixed it for them. I went from constant reboots beginning the *day* we got the phones to completely stable for months now without any performance issues for anything else on the network.

it all has to do with android flooding requests to find google devices and not caring if it chokes the life out of the router hardware. newer android phones wake up, connect to wifi, and scream ANY GOOGLE DEVICES HERE ANY CHROMECASTS OR ANYTHING HELLO and the RT-N66U with NAT/Hardware acceleration on does a kernel panic.

hopefully it works for you; I can vouch it was the fix here and it seems like it worked for others.

EDIT: I am running 3.0.0.4.374.43_39E3j9527 for reference

Wisiwyg

Regular Contributor
PS... John's Development folder is showing a V40E8 update...from yesterday.

Hope this indicates John is doing well.

KGB7

Very Senior Member
I did that. I went from the latest stock Asuswrt to Fork so had to use the FW Restoration Tool. I restored settings to default, did WPS NVRAM clear, flashed firmware again but through GUI and repeated the above.

It may need to be flashed with the FW Restoration Tool again. Might try it once the RT-AC86U comes back from RMA.
Try using FireFox, with out any extensions, just bare bone/vanilla installation of a FireFox. 99% of the time, this works flawlessly for me on Windows and MAC machines.
For the 1% of the time, I use Asus Firmware Restoration tool.

Sanna1967

Sorry for the noob question ...

My 68U is on Merlin 384.13 and I want to try John's fork to see if it improves repeater mode (and maybe even allows me to use repeater over 5g) but when I go into CFE Mini-Web Server and try to flash RT-AC68U_374.43_39E3j9527.trx I get "The file transferred is not a valid firmware image."

I also tried flashing FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx but same error.

Trying through ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool just says "Cannot connect to router."

Is something wrong with my firmware/bootloader? Do I need to downgrade to <380 before flashing John's?
Did you follow every step of this tutorial? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/

The router must be in Rescue mode for the utility to work.
No need to flash with intermediate fw if its for downgrade.

a5m

Regular Contributor
Try using FireFox, with out any extensions, just bare bone/vanilla installation of a FireFox. 99% of the time, this works flawlessly for me on Windows and MAC machines.
For the 1% of the time, I use Asus Firmware Restoration tool.
I was referring to the LayoutNG bug in Chrome where the text layout gets all screwed up. I've had no problem flashing firmware, and only needed the Restoration Tool to get back to John's Fork from Merlin.

BloodFX

Regular Contributor
John I have tried all the E development builds with dns over tls enable you no longer have internet, disable it and internet comes back, the latest E9 build is the same still broken on n66u.

alfie

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone.
I also have tried last development builds on AC66u and Internet is broken when enabling DNS over TLS, regardless the rest of DNS settings. I hope this can help.

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
Hello everyone.
I also have tried last development builds on AC66u and Internet is broken when enabling DNS over TLS, regardless the rest of DNS settings. I hope this can help.
Stubby and GetDNS were updated since the last public release of the fork. What does your syslog say when dnsmasq and Stubby startup? Is the time synced on the router?

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
I'm experimenting with adding this line to /jffs/configs/stubby.yml.add:
Code:
resolvconf: "/tmp/resolv.conf"
I want to make sure Stubby can resolve any hostnames it needs to startup properly, and pointing to the WAN DNS servers would allow this. This is borrowed from the Merlin implementation. I haven't yet experimented with DoT on 40E9, but without knowing the errors, maybe it could help those having issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!