What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm interested in installing Skynet on router using the Merlin LTS fork. I did a search and all other entries seemed to be in the regular Merlin area.

Does it work and are there any extra steps to get it going?

If there is a better area to post, please point in the right direction.

Thanks

I'm interested in installing Skynet on router using the Merlin LTS fork. I did a search and all other entries seemed to be in the regular Merlin area.

Does it work and are there any extra steps to get it going?

If there is a better area to post, please point in the right direction.

Thanks
It works very well and was recently updated to accommodate some of the differences with the fork. You can install it with confidence.
5D311552-8C1C-4EB0-A5C6-4197AE939388.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm using 39E9. Some of the pages look like this, some look fine. Is there a fix? Not sure what is happening here. Looks this way in Chrome and Edge.

upload_2019-10-17_22-35-47.png

Looks like I have "faulty" USB ports or the bridge/chip between USB ports and what ever connection it makes to router it self.

I connected USB Hotspot via USB cable to a Windows laptop, then connected laptop to the router via lan cable and internet is working perfectly.

Looks like I have "faulty" USB ports or the bridge/chip between USB ports and what ever connection it makes to router it self.

I connected USB Hotspot via USB cable to a Windows laptop, then connected laptop to the router via lan cable and internet is working perfectly.
The hotspot has to be supported by the firmware. Not all are.

Thanks for suggestion. I will try this on my AC66U with 39E3. As I understand this function is called "NAT Acceleration" on the LAN > Switch Control tab. I wonder what it changes and how it impacts the performance of router.

UPDATE: Already found the answers to my questions about "NAT Acceleration" here: https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

After about two weeks of observation I can state that disabling NAT Acceleration (aka Hardware Acceleration) fixes my RT-AC66U unexpected crashes caused by Android 8/9+ devices. It is rather workaround than a fix, but this is better than nothing.
A good explanation about NAT Acceleration feature can be found here: https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-nat-acceleration-495

So, which version is the most stable for the RT-N66U?

It is still running Merlin's 380.70, which is pretty old now, so looking to upgrade to this fork, however after flashing to whatever version, I won't be around for a few months so it has to be as stable as Merlin's 380.70 was.

What do you guys recommend?

Guys when using dns over tls on johns fork, should connect to dns server automatically be enabled or disabled in wan settings?

Last edited:
Guys when using dns over tls on johns fork, should connect to dns server automatically be enabled or disabled in wan settings?
It doesn’t really matter. But if you also enable DNSSEC, make sure your ISP DNS servers support it if choosing “Connect automatically”.

Stay on 39E3 and wait to see if a new build is posted sometime in the future. John fixed this before, so I'm sure he can fix it again if the GetDNS code isn't right on MIPS.
It looks like the 40E9 builds were re-uploaded again yesterday. The date inside the change log has changed but no new fixes were listed. I’m wondering if this was recompiled to fix the Stubby problem on MIPS? Anyone want to try it again?

It looks like the 40E9 builds were re-uploaded again yesterday. The date inside the change log has changed but no new fixes were listed. I’m wondering if this was recompiled to fix the Stubby problem on MIPS? Anyone want to try it again?

Will try it later when I get back from work. :)

Will try it later when I get back from work. :)
I tried it on my old N66U and still cannot start Stubby to validate its own config file ("stubby -C /etc/stubby.yml -i"). Exit code 55 ("echo $?").

It's good to see this LTS fork continues and eventually get an official updated release in the near future.
It'll be a wondrous day when @john9527 returns to this board.

The router properly detects the ZTE and Netgear Aircard hotspot.
So there's nothing wrong with your router's USB connection.
Even tried Tomato and DD-wrt firmwares.
So it looks like it's simply an incompatible product. BTW you never said what router you have or what this hotspot device is.

It's good to see this LTS fork continues and eventually get an official updated release in the near future.
It'll be a wondrous day when @john9527 returns to this board.
I agree. There are several issues with alternative router firmware right now: new FCC rules, no more KONG DD-WRT, Tomato not supporting newer models, etc.

I really hope we don't lose one of the few beacons of hope on the router alternative firmware landscape.

I'm on 39E3 since that's the last official posted firmware from John.

I've recently started experiencing issues where the router will drop wireless connections when there's a lot of bandwidth being used. For example, if I'm downloading a movie to my iPhone (on wifi) from my ethernet connected NAS, most of my other wireless connections are dropped except for the iPhone downloading. None of the devices can connect again until the download finishes or is stopped. Then they can reconnect automatically. I've only recently noticed this so I don't know if its been ongoing.

I've restarted the router and have it scheduled to restart on a weekly basis as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!