What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well that looks good so I'm at a loss for why you're having such strange issues. The fact that you had issues straight away during the initial setup is concerning.

If I were you I'd reinstall the firmware but do it through the GUI (Administration - Firmware Upgrade). After the firmware is uploaded the router will reboot and go into the initial setup again. At this point don't do anything, just leave it for a couple of minutes. Then press the reset button (not the WPS button) for 10 seconds and wait for it to boot up again. Now see if you have the same setup problems.

I know you've done this before, but it's worth trying it again just to be sure.

Before I read your post, I just cleared NVRAM by holding the WPS button in and powering it on, to see if that made a difference. I still had the same problems during setup. (I did use the reset button before, by the way.) If I try to enter the SSID and passwords for the 2.4G and 5G connections, I get the spinning dots. I even left it for 10 minutes or so, but there's no progress. the only way I can continue is if I click next and allow open system connections, then quickly change it in the main menu.

I checked my NVRAM usage before and after entering the SSID information, and it stayed at 63%. I tried uploading the .ovpn file again, and a few seconds later, the page refreshed and it was gone. I checked the NVRAM usage and it was now up to 67%. Strange. I'll try reinstalling the firmware again tomorrow using the GUI, to see if that makes a difference.

Success! This afternoon I had basically given up and was ready to buy a new Asus RT-AX3000. I reinstalled the stock firmware, because I could still use the VPN on that. However, when I tried to setup a guest account, it wouldn't apply the settings. There was a Kaspersky banner blocker preventing this from happening. As soon as I allowed this, everything worked fine. So, this evening I decided to give John's Merlin firmware one more try, but this time I shut Kaspersky down completely during the entire process. It solved all of the initial setup problems I had.

Also, when I went into the VPN settings and uploaded my .ovpn file, it refreshed, BUT, all the necessary fields were filled in automatically and I was able to enter everything else and finally save the settings. Everything is working as it should and I'm extremely happy! I'm also glad I didn't waste $200!

Thank you so much for your help! Now I need to figure out how to whitelist everything related to the router, so I don't leave my computer vulnerable while making adjustments.

Yes, you can. Using Bandwidth Limiter, enter the interface name of the guest wifi in the target field (i.e. wl0.1 for the first 2.4GHz Guest network).

EDIT: Note that this only works for the guest wifi networks. You can't do the same for the primary wifi.

Hi,

Sorry to pull this message forward from years ago, but my search didn't reveal any newer posts regarding this. Specifically, this is regarding establishing QOS on a guest wifi.

I'm on the last legacy build, 39L3, but I believe this feature was implemented earlier than that build.

I switched from "automatic mode" to "user-defined bandwidth limiting."

When I try to input the guest wifi network in the target field, it does not stick. The pull down menu only lists IP addresses for clients.

Apologies if this has been corrected/discontinued since then in an E build.

nogo.jpg

When I try to input the guest wifi network in the target field, it does not stick. The pull down menu only lists IP addresses for clients.

Apologies if this has been corrected/discontinued since then in an E build.
Should work...
The pulldown won't show the interface names, only client names.
Guest networks are wl0.1 wl1.1 etc (that's lower case W and L)
Don't forget to hit the apply button after entering the data.

I tried punching in "wl0.1" (no quotes). I'll try again.

EDIT: Ahh, I had to hit the "add" button, THEN apply. Thanks both of you!

Now to research which queuing discipline is optimal...

So, real dumb question for everyone. Is the 44E5 now the latest? I was looking for @john9527 dev builds Onedrive link earlier in the thread, but noticed the first page has a newer build listed that I currently have installed (41E8) on my RT-N66U.

So, real dumb question for everyone. Is the 44E5 now the latest? I was looking for @john9527 dev builds Onedrive link earlier in the thread, but noticed the first page has a newer build listed that I currently have installed (41E8) on my RT-N66U.
As of this moment in time 44E5 is the latest release. As for development builds, not all builds are made public so don't expect to always see them being ahead of the main release.

Next update, 44EA, posted. This release addresses fixes for user reported issues, some component updates, and one new feature.

Newly added is support for UPNP to obtain the external WAN address via STUN. This may help in some CGNAT environments.
Also of note is updated timezone support, including updated regions and the default DST/TDT start/stop times for each region. Please check your timezone settings after the update, as it may have changed based on the new timezone data.

Please review the first post for the other updates/fixes.

Enjoy!

SHA256
Code:
(Default Build - All supported routers)
622fceac1124060146b7e024747132eb26a3b8a77106a94f8734d78bf18f50af  RT-N16_374.43_44EAj9527.trx
2812787eead4ada7ba8abd75c5c48bdb412eb8833cd6af0d977eb5461c3c12df  RT-AC66U_374.43_44EAj9527.trx
8e363513f3a064d50339379093145358894effff311c38a311acb6b6e01a343b  RT-N66U_374.43_44EAj9527.trx
cfd4b929095a28d6eb26752af153ba8a6fdfc916b3448b6d9e8d80ce6973cd85  RT-AC68U_374.43_44EAj9527.trx
9bfddde75c53bac4b2909c904a1ed0ffd74f53d58abd99e7240f3fc311531d55  RT-AC56U_374.43_44EAj9527.trx

Last edited:
Next update, 44EA, posted. This release addresses fixes for user reported issues, some component updates, and one new feature.
Just a an FYI: I had to update my timezone after update.

Thanks for the reminder.....I'll add a note.
Unfortunately, other setting seemed to be corrupted after the update. Network status wasn't showing, Primary and secondary WAN was showing even though a secondary WAN wasn't set up. It may just be a problem with my router. I had to switch to my backup since I'm working from home. Over the weekend I'll redo all settings from scratch and I'll let you know if there are any issues.

It may just be a problem with my router.
Is it consistent or just the first reboot after the update? If the latter, if you have a lot of optional stuff running, on the first boot the httpd server can signal ready before everything else is really up. All you need to do is refresh the page, nothing is really corrupted.

And if you have a MIPS router, you may need to check your JFFS space in case the the code expanded across an allocation boundary (I didn't see it coming from 44E5 in my testing though, if earlier base more likely).

Is it consistent or just the first reboot after the update? If the latter, if you have a lot of optional stuff running the on the first boot the httpd server can signal ready before everything else is really up. All you need to do is refresh the page, nothing is really corrupted.
I tried refreshing the page and restarting the router, but neither seemed to help.

I tried refreshing the page and restarting the router, but neither seemed to help.
Keep me posted....I didn't see anything like that nor did any of my early testers (and we did a lot of loads)

Where were you coming from and what router?

Keep me posted....I didn't see anything like that nor did any of my early testers (and we did a lot of loads)

Where were you coming from and what router?
Asus AC68U. Flashed from wired connection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!