Release [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V44EA)

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev

KGB7

Very Senior Member
I had to switch to Merlin firmware.
Router AC68u.

With firmware 44EA:
I randomly get kicked out of GTA online servers (I don’t use vpn for gaming).
While using VPN on any devices via app (not internally on router) download speeds are slower.

My download speed is 240Mbps with no VPN. With 44EA firmware, while using VPN, DL is 160Mbps.

With Merlin firmware, I don’t get kicked from GTA Online servers and my download speeds, while using VPN is 220Mbps.

[email protected] Rasta

New Around Here
I have a RT-N66R and it's forever home for 8Gb microsd card inside, formatted with amtm and mounted to /tmp/mnt/microsd.
My question is should I create sim links / change mount setting to move log file or maybe even whole /tmp folder or/and any other folders to use microsd? Is it a good idea? Please, advice. Thanks.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I have a RT-N66R and it's forever home for 8Gb microsd card inside, formatted with amtm and mounted to /tmp/mnt/microsd.
My question is should I create sim links / change mount setting to move log file or maybe even whole /tmp folder or/and any other folders to use microsd? Is it a good idea? Please, advice. Thanks.
Not really of any benefit. Just adds unnecessary complexity IMHO.

[email protected] Rasta

New Around Here
Well, there are pretty much prints in my log file (VPN reconnections, DNS-lists updates etc.), so at least I want to relocate it to reduce usage of nvram that has a limited read/write cycles, I guess

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Well, there are pretty much prints in my log file (VPN reconnections, DNS-lists updates etc.), so at least I want to relocate it to reduce usage of nvram that has a limited read/write cycles, I guess
I don't know what "prints in my log file" means, but writing to nvram isn't an issue (unless you're doing something usual that's spamming the syslog) because everything is buffered in memory and only occasionally committed. This has been discussed many times.

truva

New Around Here
I am having trouble connecting the VPN server from a remote network.

RT-N66U firmware version V44EA

I have enabled both PPTP VPN server and OpenVPN server... both seems to be running on the router.

Local connection (windows built in VPN for PPTP and OpenVPN connect for OpenVPN) both connects... no problems.

But when I try to connect from a remote network neither one connects. There is nothing on the log about connection attempts.

What can I do from here? How can I troubleshoot? Any idea on how to get either PPTP or Openvpn server to run?

Thanks for the great firmware.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I am having trouble connecting the VPN server from a remote network.

RT-N66U firmware version V44EA

I have enabled both PPTP VPN server and OpenVPN server... both seems to be running on the router.

Local connection (windows built in VPN for PPTP and OpenVPN connect for OpenVPN) both connects... no problems.

But when I try to connect from a remote network neither one connects. There is nothing on the log about connection attempts.

What can I do from here? How can I troubleshoot? Any idea on how to get either PPTP or Openvpn server to run?

Thanks for the great firmware.
Check the IP address your client is trying to connect to. Go to https://canyouseeme.org/ Does the IP address shown there match the WAN IP shown on the router (Network Map > Internet status)?

truva

New Around Here
Check the IP address your client is trying to connect to. Go to https://canyouseeme.org/ Does the IP address shown there match the WAN IP shown on the router (Network Map > Internet status)?
Yes. I have tried with both with wan IP address of the router plus DDNS of the router. Server address is ok. PPTP on windows even asks for username and password upon newly created connected, but does not connect. The weird thing is that there is nothing on the router's log about any VPN connection attempt.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Yes. I have tried with both with wan IP address of the router plus DDNS of the router. Server address is ok. PPTP on windows even asks for username and password upon newly created connected, but does not connect. The weird thing is that there is nothing on the router's log about any VPN connection attempt.
Are you sure about the IP address and that you don't have double NAT? It's just that I've never seen a situation where connection attempts didn't show up in the syslog. Or have you changed the logging level to suppress them? Do the successful (local) connections show in the syslog?

truva

New Around Here
Are you sure about the IP address and that you don't have double NAT? It's just that I've never seen a situation where connection attempts didn't show up in the syslog. Or have you changed the logging level to suppress them? Do the successful (local) connections show in the syslog?
Yes, IP address is true. VPN connections made from the LAN shows in the log.

The weird thing is that I enabled "respond ping requests from the wan" option to test. With this option enabled ___.asuscomm.com or direct wan IP of the router does not respond to pings from the outside. I think the router is not reachable from the outside but why? How to troubleshoot? I disabled the firewall on the router and tried but same result.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
@truva Maybe your ISP blocks VPN connections? If you're testing over a mobile connection the mobile operator might block VPN. Try using a non-standard high port for your OpenVPN server.

EDIT: I think I remember another member having problems establishing a VPN connection over his mobile connection. IIRC that was caused because his mobile operator only gave him an IPv6 connection, not an IPv4 connection. Can you try connecting via a different route, like an internet cafe?

Last edited:

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I just noticed that my router's WAN IP id different from the ones that shows on "what is my ip". Maybe this is causing problems. Again any suggestion is appreciated.
This contradicts the answers you gave previously. :rolleyes:

truva

New Around Here
Not necessarily.
That probably means, that your internet connection is not reachable from the outside. Try to contact your ISP about it.
Thanks. Yes, It is because of the ISP. Still not solved but in progress. I tried many things over 2 days for nothing because ISP's technical support is very weak.

Bob.Dig

Regular Contributor
Still not solved but in progress.
If it get fixed but your IP on WAN is still not your internet IP, that could mean that you won't be able to use the DDNS Feature in this Firmware, because, if I remember correct, it is not capable of doing an external IP-lookup.