What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmmm....never saw that output as 27 dBm....it's always been 25 dbm (or 316 mW)....what version code and bootloader are you running?

Here's the output from my system

admin@AC68R-00000:/jffs/scripts# wl country
#a (#a/0) <unknown>
admin@AC68R-00000:/jffs/scripts# wl txpwr_target_max
Maximum Tx Power Target (chanspec:0x1808): 25.00 25.00 25.00
admin@AC68R-00000:/jffs/scripts#

and from a script I wrote that does the conversion

admin@AC68R-00000:/jffs/scripts# maxpwr

Regulatory Domain
#a (#a/0) <unknown>
Regulatory Max Power Levels
Router max transmission power (2.4GHz): 316mW
Router max transmission power (5GHz): 316mW

To Markmaster's question, no, it won't harm the router per se, but it will make it run hotter. You should look at the temps on the Administration/Performance Tuning page to make sure things don't go up too much (especially if you have the router in an enclosed area). Electronics don't like heat, so you may shorten the life a bit, but probably nothing significant. There are a couple of threads in the parent forum you can search to get an idea of what to expect.

Last edited:
Are you sure ?

How about this:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Sun Sep 7 07:34:24 UTC 2014
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl country
#a (#a/0)
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl txpwr_target_max
Maximum Tx Power Target (chanspec:0x1808): 27.00 27.00 27.00
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

27.00 dBm = 500 mW

Just going by the info in that post. If someone knows the command to check on the ac66u then I can double check. But as has been pointed out is this specific to bootloader?

I only have temps for my channels and not cpu. How.do I check the cpu please?

Just going by the info in that post. If someone knows the command to check on the ac66u then I can double check. But as has been pointed out is this specific to bootloader?

I only have temps for my channels and not cpu. How.do I check the cpu please?

xxxx@RT-AC66U:/# wl txpwrlimit
1000 mW (30.0 dBm)

I apologize if this question has already been answered somewhere.

I am fairly new to Merlin firmware and the Asus wireless routers. I am trying an RT-N66U.

My current understanding is that John's fork of 347.43 uses Broadcom SDK6 drivers just like Merlin.

Apparently Merlin's original 347.43 used some sort of engineering mode (EM) with SDK6, but even he was unsure how that helped or not.

Merlin still posts older SDK5-based builds which some claim work better than SDK6-based ones for signal strength and range. I do understand that these are missing some important new features, including security.

My question is, for signal strength and range on 2.4 and 5, does John's 347.43 fork based on SDK6, work just as well as Merlin's old SDK5 builds?

No the SDK5 driver has always been the best for signal output and range.

Hmmm....never saw that output as 27 dBm....it's always been 25 dbm (or 316 mW)....what version code and bootloader are you running?

Here it is:

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl ver
6.37 RC14.73
wl0: Apr 25 2014 11:16:33 version 6.37.14.86 (r456083)

CFE: 1.0.1.6 (AU)

Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-03j9527

Rgds

P.S.
You can get 1.5 W out of the RT-AC68U:

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl txpwr
31.75 dBm = 1496 mw.
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl txpwr1
TxPower is 127 qdbm, 31.75 dbm, 1496 mW Override is Off

Last edited:
Is it because the SDK5 driver was that much better than SDK6 or because the Broadcom 4331 chipset in the RT-N66U was better for 2.4-N and 5-N than the Broadcom 4360 in the newer AC routers?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just updated from 374.39 merlin to the latest update 3 of this fork and did a factory reset after updating. Everything is fine but under traffic manager, it seems I can't monitor traffic per device anymore. Is this by design or am I forgetting some setting somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. I just updated from 374.39 merlin to the latest update 3 of this fork and did a factory reset after updating. Everything is fine but under traffic manager, it seems I can't monitor traffic per device anymore. Is this by design or am I forgetting some setting somewhere?

Check Tools/Other Settings/Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)

Here it is:

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl ver
6.37 RC14.73
wl0: Apr 25 2014 11:16:33 version 6.37.14.86 (r456083)

CFE: 1.0.1.6 (AU)

Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-03j9527

Rgds

P.S.
You can get 1.5 W out of the RT-AC68U:

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl txpwr
31.75 dBm = 1496 mw.
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# wl txpwr1
TxPower is 127 qdbm, 31.75 dbm, 1496 mW Override is Off

Ahhh CFE 1.0.1.6 (AU) is a new variant (or did you mod your CFE?) That's probably the source of the 27dBm vs 25dBm. If you didn't mod your CFE, you may want to submit a CFE dump to the CFE mod thread http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=17793

And yes, the base hardware is spec'd capable of much higher power. That doesn't mean the designers of the routers implemented it. In reality, you will never exceed the txpwr_target_max value even if you try to set a higher value.

Check Tools/Other Settings/Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)

Knew I was missing some setting somewhere! It's been so long since I even messed with the web GUI that I forgot lol. Thanks so much! It's the ONLY page I even enter in the web GUI after setting everything up.

Good evening Smallnet Builder people,

Im still new to hacking the asus routers so I hope my questions aren't asked a million times.
Using google I cant find a answer to my question.
The last two days I have been playing wit a European ac66u and managed to improve the Wi-Fi signal by using code a friend told me.
He reffered me to this site where he got the code.
The code I used in the 66u is
Code:
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

This made a huge change on the 2.4Ghz band.
At the moment im in the middle of moving houses and want the best Wi-Fi signal in the new house.
Because of the experience I whas thinking of buying two ac68u's and use one as a extender or accespoint, I have cabling up to the addic(hope I wrote this correct)
Today I bought the first ac68u to check out its performance wich whas on par with the 66u stock settings.
I therefore flashed this firmware version 3 to the device and telnetted into the device.
I tried to apply the upper command but in the "get" way to get stock information if I ever need to return the device.
The outcome is in the box below.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get pci/1/1/ccode
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get pci/1/1/regrev
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get pci/2/1/ccode
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get pci/2/1/regrev
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get regulation_domain_5G
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get regulation_domain
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl0_country_code
EU
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl0_country_rev
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl0_reg_mode
off
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl1_country_code
EU
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl1_country_rev
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl1_reg_mode
h

As you can see in the code the first 6 lines didn't give any information.
I thought maybe its something in the router so I continued with the lines from the first code box.
After a reboot I could enter 200MW for the 2.4Ghz channel, I thought everything is fine, I applied and rebooted the device.
Now comes the problem, its not giving the extra boost that the code gave to the 66u.
Is this because some of the commands didn't work?
Hope you guys can point me in the right direction to make this happen and ill be happy camper:)
Also I have read about 500MW power, I tried the US settings on the 66u but didn't get any better signal out of that, are there other things I can change to get extra power?
I have read posts about #e also but im not sure what the difference is.
Thx for reading
Mini

Would these also work for a RT-N66U?

Strange thing happened with my router last night. When I woke up in the morning the router had reset itself. I had to run through the wizzard to get it running again. Additionally when I accessed the routers ip, it had the tomato symbol in the web browser. Like I said very strange.

Well hi all,

i have now the N66U for 3 day's and wasnt happy with the results (wide range).
Then i heard on google ;) about merlin. Then i used the latest firmware but dint see anything in radio improvements.

Then i heard about 374.43 and that this is the firmware you have to use for better radio (200mw) instead of 80mw.

I installed it (aware of the leaks). and trying to get it on US for 500MW.

I used this commando:
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=US
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=US
nvram set wl0_country_code=US
nvram set wl1_country_code=US
nvram set regulation_domain=US
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=US
nvram commit

wl country US

no reboot.
And from 1 line in wifi signal i have FULL lines with 300mbit (thats all my laptop can have). so its a huge inprovement.
Then i already heard about the high temp problem, i solved it see the pic, my temp now is 34 degrees. instead of the 64 degrees.

344595i.jpg

well thats my story now my question..

What is the big differents between this firmware and the latest release?
is it possible to have 500mw on the new firmware ? can someone then please explain ?

For the rest i send a donation to you merlin just because people like you make me happy :)

Regards,

Tim

Holy crap Tim, that is some serious cooling. :D
Isn't the noise driving you crazy?

Edit:
To answer your questions.
We use this fork because it's the latest that lets you play with regional settings.

That means you have the freedom to use the RF channels you want and output power you want.
(Within your local government WiFi rules of course.)
John takes care of this fork to make sure it has the latest security patches.

So no, no 500mW from the latest firmware. (ASUS or RMerlin.)
If I remember correctly it's stuck at max. 100mW.

Last edited:
slow uplink

Hi, I experience slow up-link speed on my n66u router with fork fw.
Direct from fiber modem i get 95/95 but via router only 95/60. I have QOS disabled.

Whats the recommended settings for maximum speed?

Make sure that Hardware Acceleration is on.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!