What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EDIT: @john9527 Is it not being obscured by "check_skip_folder_name" in release/src/router/lighttpd-1.4.39/src/smb_auth.c
lighttpd hasn't changed since July 2016...... @mightyoakbob , was your original version over a year old?

EDIT: It's not lighttpd (that's for the cloud stuff)....it's actally getting hit with the libdisk/disk_io_tools.c update that came along with the busybox update in March of this year.

Last edited:
@mightyoakbob @ColinTaylor

Since my edit got caught in a page change in the thread....
EDIT: It's not lighttpd (that's for the cloud stuff)....it's actually getting hit with the libdisk/disk_io_tools.c update that came along with the busybox update in March of this year.
It seems as if ASUS expended some effort in making sure this folder was protected.

The only workaround I can see, is to too change to Guest access with the smb.postconf script (it's a '.' separator) I posted earlier. I've verified that I can then read and edit that folder.

@mightyoakbob @ColinTaylor

Since my edit got caught in a page change in the thread....
EDIT: It's not lighttpd (that's for the cloud stuff)....it's actually getting hit with the libdisk/disk_io_tools.c update that came along with the busybox update in March of this year.
It seems as if ASUS expended some effort in making sure this folder was protected.

The only workaround I can see, is to too change to Guest access with the smb.postconf script (it's a '.' separator) I posted earlier. I've verified that I can then read and edit that folder.
Thanks John, I'll give that a go in the morning.
Is there any way to share a folder a level down inside asusware?
There is a folder in there called Intranet and that is what I really need smb access to.

Cheers,
Bob.

Thanks John, I'll give that a go in the morning.
Is there any way to share a folder a level down inside asusware?
There is a folder in there called Intranet and that is what I really need smb access to.

Cheers,
Bob.
I have an idea that might work.....I'll try and and test it later tonight (make a directory link to the 'Intranet' folder and then share that).

I have an idea that might work.....I'll try and and test it later tonight (make a directory link to the 'Intranet' folder and then share that).
:D I was thinking the same thing. Here's what I tried:

1) Create the 'Intranet' folder in the webUI as usual and assign permissions to users as required.
2) SSH onto the router and delete the 'Intranet' directory and in its place create a soft link with the same name to the 'asusware' directory.

This works, but of course the share name is now 'Intranet' not 'asusware'. @mightyoakbob said earlier that his setup is dependent on the share name being 'asusware'. @mightyoakbob is that correct?

If the share name absolutely must be 'asusware' then it might be easier (although more ugly) just to manually add extra lines to the end of smb.conf as follows (change the path and user names accordingly):

/jffs/configs/smb.conf.add
Code:
[asusware]
comment = The asusware folder
path = /tmp/mnt/VERBATIM/asusware
dos filetimes = yes
fake directory create times = yes
valid users = admin, Colin
invalid users =
read list = admin, Colin
write list = admin, Colin

Last edited:
This works, but of course the share name is now 'Intranet' not 'asusware'. @mightyoakbob said earlier that his setup is dependent on the share name being 'asusware'. @mightyoakbob is that correct?
Thanks for checking.

I read it that he needs a way in to modify some files for his webserver, which this does. Of course, the original directory structure still remains to execute the server. Guess we need some clarification from @mightyoakbob

Thanks for checking.

I read it that he needs a way in to modify some files for his webserver, which this does. Of course, the original directory structure still remains to execute the server. Guess we need some clarification from @mightyoakbob

Good morning John and Colin, thank you so much for your help.

I only need smb access to the Intranet folder so that I can change what is on my Intranet, this folder is inside asusware on the memory stick. I don't wish to change the name of either folder for fear of breaking the Cherokee web server.

So if you guys think there is a way to have smb share from the Intranet folder as in /mnt/Home/asusware/Intranet that would solve my issue. If that network share is called Intranet and not asusware I see that as a good thing, a bonus.

To carry out Colin's instructions I would need a little simplification as it is a bit beyond my level to be honest, webUI? Soft link? I think I can guess what a soft link does but I've never encountered one before and have no idea how to do it.

Cheers and thanks again

Bob.

Last edited:
@mightyoakbob OK Here it is.

1. Make a backup of your asusware folder before you proceed.
2. No, really, make a backup.
3. Log into the router's web interface (aka webUI) and go to USB application > Servers Center > USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk.
At the bottom of the page expand your disk device and add (+) a new folder called Intranet.
To the left of where the folders are shown, select each user account you have defined (maybe you only have admin) and assign the desired permissions (R/W, R or No) to the Intranet folder and Apply them.
4. Use WinSCP and log into the router as admin and navigate to your USB device at /tmp/mnt/Home
5. Delete the empty Intranet folder you just created.
6. Right click on a blank part of the router's directory display and choose New > Link
Name the link Intranet and point it to asusware/Intranet
Untitled.png

7. That's it. Log out of WinSCP. Go back to the router's web interface and reboot just to make sure everything comes back up correctly.

Last edited:
@mightyoakbob OK Here it is.

7. That's it. Log out of WinSCP. Go back to the router's web interface and reboot just to make sure everything comes back up correctly.

Colin, you are a star! I appear to have access not only to the Intranet inside asusware but the whole of the asusware folder just like before. Thank you so much and John too.

Cheers,

Bob.

Colin, you are a star! I appear to have access not only to the Intranet inside asusware but the whole of the asusware folder just like before. Thank you so much and John too.
You're welcome. In theory you should have access to whatever you chose as the "Point link" in step 6. What did you put in there, "asusware/Intranet" or "asusware"? (I changed the instructions after my initial post :rolleyes:).

Hey

Using a Rt-66U and im looking for the most stabile fork [emoji39]
Just want a stable and strong Wifi

Thanx[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome. In theory you should have access to whatever you chose as the "Point link" in step 6. What did you put in there, "asusware/Intranet" or "asusware"? (I changed the instructions after my initial post :rolleyes:).
Ah well, my first attempt was before your edit so it was linked to asusware folder. Then I saw your edit, had a think and decided to have another link, this time called IntranetDrct (intranet direct) which links to the asusware/Intranet folder.
Thanks again, not only is the problem fixed but I've learnt quite a bit, win win.

Cheers,

Bob.

Lately, both wifi connection were getting quite unreliable with original Asuswrt-Merlin on my N66-U (signal loss on both frequencies, router lock ups) and i was about to drop my router in favour of a new one until I discovered this promising fork.
Had a bit of trouble installing it on top of the previous one but now everything seems to work as supposed.

Thanks

Lately, both wifi connection were getting quite unreliable with original Asuswrt-Merlin on my N66-U (signal loss on both frequencies, router lock ups) and i was about to drop my router in favour of a new one until I discovered this promising fork.
Had a bit of trouble installing it on top of the previous one but now everything seems to work as supposed.

Thanks
Be also aware that the N66 is aging, and several users have reported power supply failure. If your problems persist try it with a replacement power supply. An OEM supply is not necessary--anything having the right plug, center pin positive, the same voltage, and the same or higher current rating; will work.

Be also aware that the N66 is aging, and several users have reported power supply failure. If your problems persist try it with a replacement power supply. An OEM supply is not necessary--anything having the right plug, center pin positive, the same voltage, and the same or higher current rating; will work.

I know it's aging but since several releases of Merlin's one (to whom i'm more than grateful for the support offered for N66-U) I noticed a consistent drop in wifi performance and from what I see i'm not the only one out there. Hopefully John's fork will solve my problem

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!