What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The max tx performance rabbit hole will get you nothing but a wonky router. There are much better ways to get better performance without semi borking things messing around with country and power settings. I say this from experience- don't do it.

do I understand it correctly that this custom firmware unlock more options to regulate the max TX performance and set any country? I'd like to squeeze out the max performance out of my AC68U.
If you are at weak EU-power then definitly you could do something, but no discussion in this forum about these topics allowed!
try your luck elsewhere (whatsyourrouter or whirlpool)

Last edited:
Has anybody come across a problem wherein the router shows internet as connected but no devices have access? Every 24-48 hours it is in this state.

For years i have had great uptime with this isp and this sort of problem was never encountered, either it would be showing disconnected or running and not stuck in this limbo. Even at the isp end it shows my internet to be running fine.
Could it be my aging n66u?

I have reset/upgraded/downgraded but it hasn't helped.

Has anybody come across a problem wherein the router shows internet as connected but no devices have access? Every 24-48 hours it is in this state.

For years i have had great uptime with this isp and this sort of problem was never encountered, either it would be showing disconnected or running and not stuck in this limbo. Even at the isp end it shows my internet to be running fine.

Could also just be the heat in the northern hemisphere :)

Only on Wifi, are you using DFS-channels which got hit by radar dedection?

Thanks for the replies guys... i tested directly connecting to the modem with my laptop and it was barely connecting at 10mbps that too after a long while. Recrimped the cable and it was stable afterward. So it was probably the old connections giving up. Will wait and watch though.

Cheers!

reboot modem, then reboot router
wait to manually assign ip addresses until said devices are working properly
ts is tedious

I just re-flashed 33E7, did a factory reset, made my standard settings (outlined in a previous post), set up manually assigned IP addresses for all of the devices on my network and then went around rebooting everything. So far, so good. Everything is working as it should. The phones connected right away and more importantly, I had zero connectivity issues with the PS3 consoles.

This is also using 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 DNS with DNSSEC enabled and strict DNSSEC enforcement enabled. So, yay!

I have a lot of devices on my network (28+ at last count) and I guess I was having problems due to devices sitting on IP addresses that were assigned to other devices or something. Oddly, the devices that had problems were the ones where I have multiples of the same device. Maybe it's related.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

John, did you by any chance fix those RSSI or Rx/Tx Rate (i don't remember which one) values which would show up as question marks?
I am not sure if it was fixed or is a side effect of my disabling the 2.4ghz radio cause I haven't spotted that behaviour since I installed 33l7...

John, did you by any chance fix those RSSI or Rx/Tx Rate (i don't remember which one) values which would show up as question marks?
I am not sure if it was fixed or is a side effect of my disabling the 2.4ghz radio cause I haven't spotted that behaviour since I installed 33l7...
That bug was in the wireless driver, so there should be no change with the 'L' builds. It may have gotten fixed in the 'E' builds when I picked up the new driver that included the KRACK fix.

Hi, John, I just flash my NT16 with 374.43_33E7j9527. Excellent Job.

It works like a charm, except that I'm unable to change the default password.

It's my first time using Merlin.

When I 'm typing new password, there's no * shown in the field and the cursor didn't move (just like inputting password in the SSH terminal)
After hit apply button, the system ask me to login again, still the default password.
I reset the router, reboot the router, still the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi, John, I just flash my NT16 with 374.43_33E7j9527. Excellent Job.

It works like a charm, except that I'm unable to change the default password.

It's my first time using Merlin.

When I 'm typing new password, there's no * shown in the field and the cursor didn't move (just like inputting password in the SSH terminal)
After hit apply button, the system ask me to login again, still the default password.
I reset the router, reboot the router, still the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
I tried under Firefox and Chrome on Windows and Linux and everything worked fine. What browser/system are you using? Also try it without any extensions/addons enabled (particularly any password managers),

I tried under Firefox and Chrome on Windows and Linux and everything worked fine. What browser/system are you using? Also try it without any extensions/addons enabled (particularly any password managers),

Thank you John, I found it's IE's fault (IE11/Win7,even not working under compatibility mode) , working flawless in Firefox.

Cheers

Thank you John, I found it's IE's fault (IE11/Win7,even not working under compatibility mode) , working flawless in Firefox.

Cheers
The one I didn't try (IE11)! I'll take a look and see if I can see what it's doing. Thanks for reporting.

Just a teaser :) Work is progressing on DoT support! Seems to be significantly faster than DNSCrypt.
DoT.PNG

I have a weird non critical issue which I dont know is with the latest windows 10 version or the router... none of my computers or router show up in networks but are accessible if i directly enter the network address. I then troubleshot a bit and discovered the FDResPub service off-if i start this service then the computer shows up and it is in manual mode but i never had to do it before.
Understandably, the router still won't show up in networks. Any clue if this issue is network related or windows related?

I have a weird non critical issue which I dont know is with the latest windows 10 version or the router... none of my computers or router show up in networks but are accessible if i directly enter the network address. I then troubleshot a bit and discovered the FDResPub service off-if i start this service then the computer shows up and it is in manual mode but i never had to do it before.
Understandably, the router still won't show up in networks. Any clue if this issue is network related or windows related?
That'll be a Windows issue. Check the Windows logs to see why the service isn't starting.

I have an N66U which really does its job very well. Because I needed a little bit more than the default firmware can do, I was very happy to find the Merlin firmware and used it for quite some while. Because Merlin stopped supporting the N66U, I needed to switch to John's fork. It requires a little bit more work than just upgrading the firmware, but this weekend I migrated and eventually it works nicely. John, thanks for keeping this firmware up-to-date and alive!

Now I have two questions:
  • Is this a one-mans project and is John doing all the work? Or is there an active team?
  • The first post in this thread says: "You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website to install this fork firmware." I found out that this can be done from a Mac/Linux system as well using tftp (just google), but more important: I found out that even when using the firmware restoration tool you need to wait, wait, wait and wait for the device to get up and running again. The tool will mention that it failed in restoring the firmware, but if you just wait then suddenly the power button switches on and the device is ready for use. Maybe this can be added to the install instructions, it would have saved me a couple of hours..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!