What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't think this is anything to do with the Samba browsing issue if that's what you're referring to.
I think MS made changes for 1803

Publishes this computer and resources attached to this computer so they can be discovered over the network. If this service is stopped, network resources will no longer be published and they will not be discovered by other computers on the network.

EDIT: Function Host may be needed too

Last edited:
I think MS made changes for 10

EDIT: Function Host may be needed too
@punchsuckr

Neither of the two Function Discovery services are running by default on my Windows 10 install. The FS Provider Host will start itself if I open Explorer so that it can scan the network. FS Resource Publication doesn't seem to run at all anymore but that doesn't stop other PCs on the network from being able to see it.

I believe the reason FS Resource Publication isn't running is because it was used by HomeGroup and that has been removed in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4091368/windows-10-homegroup-removed

@punchsuckr

Neither of the two Function Discovery services are running by default on my Windows 10 install. The FS Provider Host will start itself if I open Explorer so that it can scan the network. FS Resource Publication doesn't seem to run at all anymore but that doesn't stop other PCs on the network from being able to see it.

I believe the reason FS Resource Publication isn't running is because it was used by HomeGroup and that has been removed in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4091368/windows-10-homegroup-removed

For windows 10 Version 1803

Open services.msc

FD Resource Publication service must be set to automatic

Last edited:
Thank you John, I found it's IE's fault (IE11/Win7,even not working under compatibility mode) , working flawless in Firefox.

Cheers
Confirmed the problem on IE11/Win7....looks like they broke something such that you can't change the field attributes the first time it gets focus. Workaround is to select the password field, then select anything else (even selecting nothing by clicking anywhere on the page), then re-selecting the password field. Then it will work.
Tried a couple of possible workarounds without any luck. Another reason to leave IE :)

For windows 10 Version 1803

Open services.msc

FD Resource Publication service must be set to automatic
Did it used to be automatic because i can only see both on manual which ColinTaylor mentions.
Problem is that only yesterday they were indeed showing up but I naturally didn't check which service was running since everything was working as expected.

I'd like to ask a question on another topic if I might: Is the Asus rt66u_b1 known to work with Merlin? I wasn't able to install it from the GUI, the restoration tool, or the CFE. I wound up having to install DD-WRT.

Last edited:
Did it used to be automatic because i can only see both on manual which ColinTaylor mentions.
Problem is that only yesterday they were indeed showing up but I naturally didn't check which service was running since everything was working as expected.
Maybe you've only just had the April update (1803) applied?

What is it that you're not seeing anymore? Is it just the computer names in Explorer, or are you missing shared folders? Were you using HomeGroups?

Have you checked that Network Discovery is still enabled in Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing ?

Set it to automatic and test...you can always change it back!

For more info Google

Fix Network Computers are Not Visible in Windows 10 Version 1803

Last edited:
Maybe you've only just had the April update (1803) applied?

What is it that you're not seeing anymore? Is it just the computer names in Explorer, or are you missing shared folders? Were you using HomeGroups?

Have you checked that Network Discovery is still enabled in Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing ?

Going to this pc-> network does not list any of my computers. This is corrected by starting the FDResPub service. However I still cannot see the router which would also show up like a computer there (can live without it though).

I did use homegroup in the past until 1803, and yes I only updated to 1803 now by stopping deferred upgrades.

Network discovery is indeed on.

Set it to automatic and test...you can always change it back!

For more info Google

Fix Network Computers are Not Visible in Windows 10 Version 1803

Yes I've set it to automatic but really sucks with these updates breaking stuff at random.
And yes I did search around and found this exact same issue but from way back so asked here if they changed this behaviour recently or it's just the same.

I shall now stop this discussion before John kicks my butt here since it is indeed going off topic. Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it. :)

I'd like to ask a question on another topic if I might: Is the Asus rt66u_b1 known to work with Merlin? I wasn't able to install it from the GUI, the restoration tool, or the CFE. I wound up having to install DD-WRT. The new ASUS WRT firmware is definitely not to my liking.

Wrong thread to ask, but my release is perfectly compatible with the RT-AC66U_B1. I do a lot of my development work on that specific model.

Wrong thread to ask, but my release is perfectly compatible with the RT-AC66U_B1. I do a lot of my development work on that specific model.
Sorry, I meant this fork of Merlin

I'd like to ask a question on another topic if I might: Is the Asus rt66u_b1 known to work with Merlin? I wasn't able to install it from the GUI, the restoration tool, or the CFE. I wound up having to install DD-WRT. The new ASUS WRT firmware is definitely not to my liking.
Sorry, I meant this fork of Merlin
This fork has been confirmed to run on the AC66U_B1 (use the AC68U firmware).

Was this a new purchase? Do you recall what the original firmware level was?

@john9527 Can you tell me what changes the Tools > Other Settings > TCP/UDP Buffers (fw_nat_tuning) makes?

I've been chasing a problem on and off for over a year now where if I start downloading a torrent that has lots (100's) of peers it will completely flatten for about 60 seconds all the other clients on the LAN irrespective of what I do with QoS.

My gut feeling has been that the conntrack table is being overwhelmed in some way. Today I finally noticed there was this option (Doh!). Changing it from "small" to "large" appears to have immediately fixed the problem and QoS priorities are now working as expected.

So I guess what I'm asking is what is the downside of setting this at "large". If there isn't one maybe that should be the default? Is it effecting the size of the conntrack table?

I tried searching through the source code for fw_nat_tuning but for some reason couldn't find it.:confused:

EDIT: Unfortunately this hasn't solved my problem, although it does seem to have improved things.

Last edited:
Reactions: il2
Can you tell me what changes the Tools > Other Settings > TCP/UDP Buffers (fw_nat_tuning) makes?
Added that one in V30, had it in the release notes but didn't make a big deal of it. Every once in a while I find some 'dead' code, and debug and activate it. For me, it helped in getting a much more stable VPN connection/speed (I'm using the Large setting as well since the beginning of the year....Small is the old default settings).

Details are here
https://github.com/john9527/asuswrt-merlin/commit/f1f080343a4b98da0bdd6da9a0fd29ba37aa5b72

They are all settings relating to r/w buffers and thresholds (and use increasing memory)....nothing specifically related to conntrack that I remember.

@ColinTaylor - A quick followup. I alluded to an answer to one of your questions, but wasn't really explicit. Stability is one of the top goals for this fork, so when I find something like this I tend to keep the default as it was, and give an option to change it. Don't want to run into any unintended consequences with a larger install base.

Thanks for the information @john9527. It turns out that setting wasn't quite the magic bullet I thought it was (the problem is difficult to reproduce in a consistent manner). But it's given me some things to think about.:)

This fork has been confirmed to run on the AC66U_B1 (use the AC68U firmware).

Was this a new purchase? Do you recall what the original firmware level was?
I must have fat fingered it the first time around. All is well now. Thanks and sorry for the trouble, john9527 and RMerlin.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!