What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also I have a couple questions. Is it possible to plug iphone up to the router via usb and get a internet connection? If so how would I achieve this? I assume through a jffs script?
I assume you're talking about using the phone's cellular internet connection as your internet feed instead of an Ethernet cable plugged into the router's WAN port? There's already options in the GUI to do that, see this thread. However, I don't believe this works for iPhones because.... well it's an Apple device isn't it.:rolleyes:

Also I have an bros trend ac3 dual band wifi usb adapter. It has a cradle with a rather long usb cable and it has 2 5db high gain omni directional antennas on it. Is it possible to hook this up to the router and have the adapter broadcast the routers signal as well? The wifi usb adapter can also act as ap. Ive set it up that way in windows and linux and it preforms pretty good surprisingly.
I'm not aware of the router supporting any kind of USB WiFi dongle.

Is there any recommended settings for setting up QoS for this fork? My problem is that if one user in the network starts downloading something, no others can access the internet anymore i.e. no server error or the page can not be reached message in browsers.

I use QoS successfully here (but I don't have a network as busy as yours seems) on Merlin LTS fork . I established my configuration based on a discussion I read on the Freshtomato-mips forum.

My router is an RT-N66U.

I adjusted the "Up Bandwidth" to 75% of the minimum I observed (after several tests) and the "Down Bandwidth" to 85% of the minimum also observed. It is also these settings that give me (after many tests) the lowest average Bufferbloat results in ms, in the detailed results of "dslreports": http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/46361009
I have a regular rating of "A+" since I made these adjustments.

List of standards specified by the user:

TCP/UDP, DST port 1-5070, Transferred 0-1kb, class1 (Highest)
any, MAC address (VOIP interface), class2 (High)
TCP/UDP, DST port 1-5070, Transferred 0-64kb, class2 (High)
TCP/UDP, DST port 1-65535, Transferred 0-512kb, class3 (Average)
TCP/UDP, DST port 1-65535, Transferred 0-1024kb, class4 (Low)
TCP/UDP, DST port 1-65535, Transferred 1024kb+ class5 (Lowest)

Download and transmission limits:

1, 15%, 100%
2, 5%, 100%
3, 5%, 100%
4, 5%, 100%
5, 5%, 95% (Set as Default)

(same for both outbound and inbound)

Also I have an bros trend ac3 dual band wifi usb adapter. It has a cradle with a rather long usb cable and it has 2 5db high gain omni directional antennas on it. Is it possible to hook this up to the router and have the adapter broadcast the routers signal as well? The wifi usb adapter can also act as ap. Ive set it up that way in windows and linux and it preforms pretty good surprisingly.

Asus firmware has a very minimal linux kernel that's not equipped with usb wifi device drivers. That might be a pretty neat thing for a router to have so you could upgrade your wifi hardware but then again you'd have to upgrade the kernel also so at that point may as well buy one of those linux-based mini-PCs to act as a router/firewall. I actually thought of going this route but wasn't sure.

"I use QoS successfully here (but I don't have a network as busy as yours seems) on Merlin LTS fork . I established my configuration based on a discussion I read on the Freshtomato-mips forum."

I'm going to try these settings and play around with it. The disadvantages of "bandwidth limiter" is having to disabling/enabling for faster speeds and new devices.

Last edited:
I normally don't use 2.4g but when trying to use it today all devices fail to connect and say "Authentication Error". 5g works fine. Have checked settings but I assume I am missing something not being very tech savvy. Effected devices are an android tablet, Roku, and Kindle reader. I have loved this 374.43 fork, the features are awesome.

I just wanted to say thank you @john9527 for your continued work on this firmware. When @RMerlin stopped supporting the RT-N66U (which I totally understand the reasoning) I was ready to pickup a new router despite how well this one has been serving my home network. It's extended the life of a perfectly capable device.

Again, thank you!

I just wanted to say thank you @john9527 for your continued work on this firmware. When @RMerlin stopped supporting the RT-N66U (which I totally understand the reasoning) I was ready to pickup a new router despite how well this one has been serving my home network. It's extended the life of a perfectly capable device.

Again, thank you!
Same for me with 56u I had! Thanks

Never used Fork in Media Bridge on AC66, but today after fresh installation of latest 37EA and switching it to Media Bridge, got the following results:
  • media bridge connected successfully and all devices see each other
  • couldn't login to Fork web-gui on 192.168.1.1, though pinging it successfully
Is it kind of feature or bug to disable webgui in Media Bridge?

Thanks for any info in advance

You have to login with connected ip-number

You have to login with connected ip-number
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I tried connecting with static 192.168.1.10 on all ethernet ports on Media Bridge and on WiFi.
Moreover, I tried changing IP to other ranges with the same results (pinging - ok, logging through http or https on default webgui port - fail), including numerous reboots.

I tried connecting with static 192.168.1.10 on all ethernet ports on Media Bridge and on WiFi.
Moreover, I tried changing IP to other ranges with the same results (pinging - ok, logging through http or https on default webgui port - fail), including numerous reboots.
My media bridge is connected to same net as main router, eg main 192.168.1.1 media bridge 192.168.1.142 and I have static ip. As media bridge is same as connected units on main router.

Download the Asus Discovery utility to see the actual IP of your Media Bridge.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N66U_B1/Discovery_v1480.zip

(Don't worry about the RT-N66U in the download link, the Discovery tool works independantly of the router in use).

Download the Asus Discovery utility to see the actual IP of your Media Bridge.
Thanks for your reply.

When switching to Media Bridge mode, the ip changes to 192.168.1.1 (firmware's default) and it is ping'able. However, when you try to reach web-gui at this address, the browsers report "connection error message".

Anyway I downloaded this utility and it confirmed that my Media Bridge is on 192.168.1.1

It seems to me there is a bug or feature limiting web-gui accessibility while in Media Bridge at least on this latest firmware

Thanks for your reply.

When switching to Media Bridge mode, the ip changes to 192.168.1.1 (firmware's default) and it is ping'able. However, when you try to reach web-gui at this address, the browsers report "connection error message".

Anyway I downloaded this utility and it confirmed that my Media Bridge is on 192.168.1.1

It seems to me there is a bug or feature limiting web-gui accessibility while in Media Bridge at least on this latest firmware

I have not used Media Bridge mode before... Are you saying that the main router and the Media Bridge is on the 192.168.1.1 IP? If not, what is the main router's IP?

I have not used Media Bridge mode before... Are you saying that the main router and the Media Bridge is on the 192.168.1.1 IP? If not, what is the main router's IP?
Main router (also AC66U with the same firmware in Router Mode) has static IP 172.x.x.x
Media Bridge is automatically set to 192.168.1.1 and can't be changed after fresh install, perhaps unless telnet/ssh functions were activated before switching to Media Bridge (will be checking it today)

Devices behind Media Bridge can access common network resources and WAN without any problems.

The only problem is that I can't access webgui on Media Bridge from every possible points - directly connected to ethernet ports on Media Bridge, directly connected to ethernet ports on Main Router with static ip for 192.168.1.x range and if connected to WiFi with static ip 192.168.1.x.

Last edited:
Main router (also AC66U with the same firmware in Router Mode) has static IP 172.x.x.x
Media Bridge is automatically set to 192.168.1.1 and can't be changed after fresh install, perhaps unless telnet/ssh functions were activated before switching to Media Bridge (will be checking it today)

Devices behind Media Bridge can access common network resources and WAN without any problems.

The only problem is that I can't access webgui on Media Bridge from every possible points - directly connected to ethernet ports on Media Bridge, directly connected to ethernet ports on Main Router with static ip for 192.168.1.x range and if connected to WiFi with static ip 192.168.1.x.

From the above, your main network is on the 172.x.x.x subnet, but your Media Bridge is on the 192.168.z.z subnet. Yes, they won't and can't see each other.

Does this work if you have your main router on the 192.168.x.x subnet instead?

Never used Fork in Media Bridge on AC66, but today after fresh installation of latest 37EA and switching it to Media Bridge, got the following results:
  • media bridge connected successfully and all devices see each other
  • couldn't login to Fork web-gui on 192.168.1.1, though pinging it successfully
Is it kind of feature or bug to disable webgui in Media Bridge?

Thanks for any info in advance
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/114552/

Here is recent syslog events to confirm bug / feature in Media Bridge mode after fresh install

Code:
Jan  1 06:00:14 kernel: device eth2 entered promiscuous mode
Jan  1 06:00:14 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering learning state
Jan  1 06:00:14 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering learning state
Jan  1 06:00:14 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering learning state
Jan  1 06:00:14 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Jan  1 06:00:14 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering forwarding state
Jan  1 06:00:14 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering forwarding state
Jan  1 06:00:14 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering forwarding state
Jan  1 06:00:18 haveged: haveged starting up
Jan  1 06:00:18 dropbear[294]: Running in background
Jan  1 06:00:18 HTTPD_Server: start deferred by lan state

The "httpd_server" keeps being deferred after reboots with no processes running at all

Code:
  PID USER       VSZ STAT COMMAND
    1 admin     2832 S    /sbin/init
    2 admin        0 SW<  [kthreadd]
    3 admin        0 SWN  [ksoftirqd/0]
    4 admin        0 SW<  [events/0]
    5 admin        0 SW<  [khelper]
   20 admin        0 SW<  [kblockd/0]
   51 admin        0 SW   [pdflush]
   52 admin        0 SW   [pdflush]
   53 admin        0 SW<  [kswapd0]
   54 admin        0 SW<  [aio/0]
   98 admin        0 SW<  [mtdblockd]
  121 admin        0 SW<  [kmmcd]
  125 admin      644 S    hotplug2 --persistent --no-coldplug
  161 admin     2816 S    console
  162 admin     1472 S    /bin/sh
  171 admin     1464 S    syslogd -m 0 -O /tmp/syslog.log -S -s 256 -l 7
  173 admin     1464 S    /sbin/klogd
  175 admin        0 SW<  [khubd]
  285 admin     1472 S    udhcpc -i br0 -p /var/run/udhcpc_lan.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc_lan -H RT-AC66U-11E8
  287 admin     2824 S    /sbin/wanduck
  290 admin     6552 S    /usr/sbin/haveged -r0 -w1024
  291 admin     1380 R    protect_srv
  294 admin     1316 S    dropbear -p 22 -I 1200 -j -k
  298 admin     1380 S    protect_srv
  299 admin     1380 S    protect_srv
  301 admin     1184 S    /bin/eapd
  304 admin     2824 S    wpsaide
  307 admin     1688 S    nas
  308 admin     1468 S    crond -l 8
  309 admin     1148 S    /usr/sbin/infosvr br0
  311 admin     2824 S    watchdog
  312 admin     2824 S    ots
  313 admin     2824 S    watchdog02
  314 admin     2824 S    psta_monitor
  317 admin     1188 S    lld2d br0
  318 admin     2824 S    disk_monitor
  326 admin     2168 S    u2ec
  328 admin     1244 S    lpd
  331 admin     2168 S    u2ec
  332 admin     2168 S    u2ec
  380 admin     1384 S    dropbear -p 22 -I 1200 -j -k
  382 admin     1508 S    -sh
  632 admin     1480 S    vi syslog.log
  693 admin     1384 R    dropbear -p 22 -I 1200 -j -k
  695 admin     1476 S    -sh
  701 admin     1468 R    ps -w

I use QoS successfully here (but I don't have a network as busy as yours seems) on Merlin LTS fork . I established my configuration based on a discussion I read on the Freshtomato-mips forum.

My router is an RT-N66U.

I adjusted the "Up Bandwidth" to 75% of the minimum I observed (after several tests) and the "Down Bandwidth" to 85% of the minimum also observed. It is also these settings that give me (after many tests) the lowest average Bufferbloat results in ms, in the detailed results of "dslreports": http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/46361009
I have a regular rating of "A+" since I made these adjustments.

List of standards specified by the user:

TCP/UDP, DST port 1-5070, Transferred 0-1kb, class1 (Highest)
any, MAC address (VOIP interface), class2 (High)
TCP/UDP, DST port 1-5070, Transferred 0-64kb, class2 (High)
TCP/UDP, DST port 1-65535, Transferred 0-512kb, class3 (Average)
TCP/UDP, DST port 1-65535, Transferred 0-1024kb, class4 (Low)
TCP/UDP, DST port 1-65535, Transferred 1024kb+ class5 (Lowest)

Download and transmission limits:

1, 15%, 100%
2, 5%, 100%
3, 5%, 100%
4, 5%, 100%
5, 5%, 95% (Set as Default)

(same for both outbound and inbound)

Thank you. Will give it a try

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!