What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am running version 3.0.0.4.374.43_39E3j9527 on an AC68U and I have an issue trying to set my DNS servers to not connect to the IPS servers automatically. If I check the no radio button and enter Quad 9 servers or my own pi-hole server, I lose internet connectivity. My current setings below work but if I deviate from the settings shown, I lose internet connectivity. Any ideas?

Capture.PNG

I am running version 3.0.0.4.374.43_39E3j9527 on an AC68U and I have an issue trying to set my DNS servers to not connect to the IPS servers automatically. If I check the no radio button and enter Quad 9 servers or my own pi-hole server, I lose internet connectivity. My current setings below work but if I deviate from the settings shown, I lose internet connectivity. Any ideas?

View attachment 18175

When set to 'No', have you used '9.9.9.9' and '149.112.112.112' as the DNS servers in the boxes that appear?

When set to 'No', have you used '9.9.9.9' and '149.112.112.112' as the DNS servers in the boxes that appear?

Yes, I have and this was with a clean install. This is what I get in my logs.

Jun 11 12:44:30 dnsmasq[19016]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
Jun 11 12:44:31 dnsmasq[19016]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
Jun 11 12:44:32 dnsmasq[19016]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
Jun 11 12:44:33 dnsmasq[19016]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
Jun 11 12:45:27 dnsmasq[19016]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
Jun 11 12:45:28 dnsmasq[19016]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
Jun 11 12:45:30 dnsmasq[19016]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable
Jun 11 12:45:34 dnsmasq[19016]: failed to send packet: Network is unreachable

View attachment 18175
The screenshot implies you have IPv6 enabled, since the "Enable IPv6 DoT Servers" radio button is available. Are you entering IPv6 DNS servers?

I've just tried exactly the same settings (apart from the IPv6 option, which doesn't appear because I don't have IPv6) and it works perfectly.

If you have no internet connectivity, as apposed to no DNS connectivity I suggest you look in the syslog to see why.

Yes, I have and this was with a clean install.

How long did you wait to see if internet connectivity returned? Did you try rebooting the router?

The screenshot implies you have IPv6 enabled, since the "Enable IPv6 DoT Servers" radio button is available. Are you entering IPv6 DNS servers?
No I am entering IPv4 addresses in the boxes that appear. I also edited my post above to show what I am getting in my log when doing so.

How long did you wait to see if internet connectivity returned? Did you try rebooting the router?

I did but must admit that I did not wait more than a few minutes for internet connectivity to return. How long do you suggest that I wait?

I did but must admit that I did not wait more than a few minutes for internet connectivity to return. How long do you suggest that I wait?

It should be fairly quick, but for sure under two minutes. Are there any processes that would be slowing your router down?

It should be fairly quick, but for sure under two minutes. Are there any processes that would be slowing your router down?

I think that i figured it out. Diversion seemed to be locked up. I had to remove the usb and format the jffs partition. I think that I have it working but need to go back and finalize my settings and get Skynet installed and up.

I solved it this way:

Installed stubby from entware. Edited stubby.yml with the servers I desire.

Put a cron job that restarts stubby periodically.

I solved it this way:

Installed stubby from entware. Edited stubby.yml with the servers I desire.

Put a cron job that restarts stubby periodically.
I can’t figure out which problem you solved here. Why did you need to install Stubby from Entware on John’s fork? It’s the most customizable Stubby out there. You can add your own resolvers to the /jffs/etc/stubby_resolvers.csv file after running the stubby-update-resolvers.sh script. Granted, you have to follow the csv format, but it’s doable.

I'll take a look specifically for the Android tethering support and see if I can update just that one.

OK, that's a reference from several years ago, sorry to bring up an old issue.

Earlier this week my cable broadband was out for five hours, so I decided to try to tether my Android (Nougat) phone using the native USB tethering as an alternate WAN. As the original question you replied to mentioned, the 374.43 interface seems to be a mixture of USB modem and USB tether. (https://www.snbforums.com/goto/post?id=287010#post-287010) I tried several options, and once it looked like it almost worked, seeming to get an IP address from the phone, but it never worked entirely. Eventually I gave up and used my phone as a wifi router, bypassing my N66U.

I was wondering if you ever got around to looking at the Android tethering support. It's obviously not essential, but it would be a nice fallback option if the main broadband drops out, as it did for me.

How to install the firmware at Merlin 380.70, when installing over, it gives an error: Invalid Firmware Upload To ensure a better firmware quality. It is not compatible with the third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

Hello and sorry for my poor English!
I have also problems with set a DNS Server in the Web-Interface. I run an ASUS RT-AC66U with the RT-AC66U_374.43_39E3j9527 Firmware.
If I set in the tab "WAN settings" the checkbox "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to No and enter the IP for my Raspberry Pi in the field for the DNS-Server 1 the interface shows me a window with "Done" (or something like that - I see it in German) and it stays constant in the browser tab without reload.
If I reload the tab by hand, the settings I made are not set. I reboot the router and start again - without success. So I cannot set a specify DNS-Server im my router.
This is only in the Internet Explorer (Windows 7). In Firefox I become not a connection to the Router-Interface! Firefox produce a high CPU load and cannot connect.
Do anybody know what could I do?

THANK you!
R. Falberg

How to install the firmware at Merlin 380.70, when installing over, it gives an error: Invalid Firmware Upload To ensure a better firmware quality. It is not compatible with the third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

From the first post:

Installation Notes
  • Firmware is now packaged as a zip file (consistent with Merlin firmware releases). Remember to extract the .trx file prior to updating the firmware. An sha256sum file is included in the zip file to validate the firmware.
  • For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website or the built in CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware. You must always perform a factory default reset following the firmware update when moving from ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware above level 374 regardless if you updated via the web interface or Restoration Tool.
  • When using the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool or CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware on MIPS based routers (N16, N66 or AC66 non_B1) the upgrade process can take from 40 minutes to 1 hour. Please be patient and do not interrupt the process.
  • Currently, two build streams are maintained.
    • The 'E' Builds are the recommended builds and contain the latest wireless drivers and related fixes, including the fixes for the KRACK exploit on all supported models except the N16 (ASUS never released a KRACK fix for the N16). The 'E' Builds for ARM routers also contain the latest ARM SDK providing support for the newer rev level AC68U and it's variations.
    • The 'L' Builds contain the original wireless drivers (2014 release) and DO NOT address the KRACK exploit, and for ARM routers DO NOT contain the latest SDK providing support for the latest AC68U rev levels. In addition, some fixes dependent on either the latest wireless drivers or latest ARM SDK may not be included in the 'L' builds. Please review the release notes/Changelog for further information.
  • If you are updating an AC56U or AC68U running a fork version V26 or earlier, a factory reset is recommended following the firmware update to V27 or later. You may also need to reformat and restore JFFS due to updates for compatibility with the Merlin releases. Other fork users running an N16, N66U or AC66 can update to the 'E' Build as normal without a factory reset.
  • Please review '@UpgradeMatrix.txt' in the download directory, which describes the upgrade options for all the supported routers. Included are the requirements for a Factory Default Reset or reformat of JFFS.
  • Users are reminded to have a jffs backup. For users with MIPS based routers, changes in the code image size may affect the jffs space. For users of ARM based routers, changes in the jffs partitioning may also affect the jffs allocations. If you are having jffs script errors or cannot access jffs after loading the firmware, please reformat jffs from the Administration page and restore your jffs backup.

Hello and sorry for my poor English!
I have also problems with set a DNS Server in the Web-Interface. I run an ASUS RT-AC66U with the RT-AC66U_374.43_39E3j9527 Firmware.
If I set in the tab "WAN settings" the checkbox "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to No and enter the IP for my Raspberry Pi in the field for the DNS-Server 1 the interface shows me a window with "Done" (or something like that - I see it in German) and it stays constant in the browser tab without reload.
If I reload the tab by hand, the settings I made are not set. I reboot the router and start again - without success. So I cannot set a specify DNS-Server im my router.
This is only in the Internet Explorer (Windows 7). In Firefox I become not a connection to the Router-Interface! Firefox produce a high CPU load and cannot connect.
Do anybody know what could I do?

THANK you!
R. Falberg
What does the System Log show during the time after you hit Apply button? It should show the WAN interface restarting, and possibly any errors. You might also try to open your browser console (F12) and look for Javascript errors if nothing appears in System Log. Also make sure no AdBlockers or password managers are interfering with the router GUI pages.

Thank you Dave for your suggestions! What you mean with system log? From Windows, or is such included in the router firmware?
The IE browser console shows me one error:
SCRIPT429: Automatisierungsserver kann Objekt nicht erstellen.
Datei: detect.js, Zeile: 24, Spalte: 1

In Firefox I have not tried again.
router-interfaceIE.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!