What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello, i have an old AC66U, is this firmware(374.43_39L3j9527 or 374.43_39E3j9527) more stable and updated than Merlin ? It was stopped at 380, but Asus on the official website continued with 382
I want to use it as AP for extend and maybe as a vpn server, i know i lack of dual core hardware :(
Thanks
I am using an AC66U with John's fork as an AP. Very stable and enjoying it without any issues. I am using the 'E' release.

Thanks for reply, updated today from asus firmware with recovery tool and it's working very good (had no time for setup, only browsing to menus today) with E build.

Hi I have started getting my lan connection constantly dropping and then my router is in accessible via lan, I managed to access the router via wifi and it keeps saying something like watchdog has stopped responding error ( 28 ), any idea how I fix this (n66u) ?

I'm using v39E3.

Update found the error from google search history from yesterday: watchdog: restart httpd - SSL, error detected or process not responding (28)

Last edited:
Hi
I just want to say THANK YOU !
The Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS ( I used L build ) completely fixed my rooter's instability.

I'm using my rooter AC-56u from 3 years and always was a bit unstable - I have connected a cable modem to the rooter and every 5 min to 10 min I was loosing internet connection and go back automatically after 5 sec to 20 sec ( totally random !)
So playing online games was barley possible , IPTV was loosing connection after few minutes, during of the using ftp - downloading something from the ftp I could not open any web page at home ! .. etc.. ( tested - straight connected to the modem I hadn't such problems so .. I could blame only my rooter )
- kernel logs did not show anything ...I tried any possible configuration , formatting , just everything.

I tried almost every build Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin from 2016 because I fought newer build should be more stable .. but wasn't.

Finally I decided to get rid of my rooter in few weeks ! BUT I found THIS Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS - AND EVERYTHING START WORKS AS SHOULD - JUST LIKE THAT- no problems at all so far.

I'm testing this firmware from yesterday and seems be stable on 100 % !
JUST AMAZING first time from 3 years i have fully stable ac56u !
So the rooter stays with me longer then ;-D

I just to say again THANK YOU !

UPDATE :

Using this ULTRA STABLE FORK from a week - no problems at all ( before ... from 3 years the rooter works terrible ! ) ... I was newer more happy with the rooter like now !

THANK YOU AGAIN !

Hi
I just want to say THANK YOU !
The Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS ( I used L build ) completely fixed my rooter's instability.

I'm using my rooter AC-56u from 3 years and always was a bit unstable - I have connected a cable modem to the rooter and every 5 min to 10 min I was loosing internet connection and go back automatically after 5 sec to 20 sec ( totally random !)
So playing online games was barley possible , IPTV was loosing connection after few minutes, during of the using ftp - downloading something from the ftp I could not open any web page at home ! .. etc.. ( tested - straight connected to the modem I hadn't such problems so .. I could blame only my rooter )
- kernel logs did not show anything ...I tried any possible configuration , formatting , just everything.

I tried almost every build Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin from 2016 because I fought newer build should be more stable .. but wasn't.

Finally I decided to get rid of my rooter in few weeks ! BUT I found THIS Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS - AND EVERYTHING START WORKS AS SHOULD - JUST LIKE THAT- no problems at all so far.

I'm testing this firmware from yesterday and seems be stable on 100 % !
JUST AMAZING first time from 3 years i have fully stable ac56u !
So the rooter stays with me longer then ;-D

I just to say again THANK YOU !

I seen your post and have had the same experience as you recently, so much so I moved to an Edgerouter X, after reading your post I flashed this fork on to an AC68U that previously drove me nuts and had to enable a reboot schedule for 4 am every morning.....well like you my router has been very stable since flashing it, thanks to OP (John) and yourself for inspiring me to try this before going off to OpenWRT Or Tomato, BTW I don't use Wireless on them.

I have a bunch of 68u's I'm thinking about moving to this fw. The only features I really need are bandwidth limiter and DNSfilter. Can anyone tell me if these are working properly on this fork, and are any other common features missing? Also, dirty upgrades are not frowned upon?

I have a bunch of 68u's I'm thinking about moving to this fw. The only features I really need are bandwidth limiter and DNSfilter. Can anyone tell me if these are working properly on this fork, and are any other common features missing? Also, dirty upgrades are not frowned upon?
DNSFILTER works just fine. I never used the bandwidth limiter, but John’s Tradition QoS improvements were outstanding.

What firmware are you running now, and why do you want to change? I’ve flip-flopped often myself, so just curious what your reasons are.

DNSFILTER works just fine. I never used the bandwidth limiter, but John’s Tradition QoS improvements were outstanding.

What firmware are you running now, and why do you want to change? I’ve flip-flopped often myself, so just curious what your reasons are.

Im on merlin 384.8_2 right now. I dont get the chance to upgrade these routers often, and some of them are a pretty big ordeal to reconfigure after a factory reset. LTS is more my style :D

Have been using since last year without trouble. I use both bw limiter for the Amazon FireTV and DNSfilter for all.

Ran in to an issue I can't solve.

I plugged in a ZTE Velocity hotspot in to the AC68 router with latest firmware. I think I configured the router properly.
The router detects the Hotspot, gets an IP from the hotspot but there is no internet.

Anyone one has ran in to a simmilar issue like this one before and what was your solution?

Hi,
running Merlin latest 380.70 on RT-N66U. I have some questions, hope you can help me:
1) Which is the recommended fw, John's latest in this thread I guess, but I see few versions.
2) I am not sure how should I update, please help me to not brick the router.
3) I would like to use the following: DoT (or DoH), probably with CF. Diversion full version (does it work witb John's fork, even if version is lower than req?), instead of Pihole. Skynet. And maybe a safe DNS for kid's devices?
Many thanks!

can this be installed over asus firmware or does it have to be installed over merlin firmware?

also, do i need to go through with the rescue mode procedure in order to properly flash this firmware or can i use the firmware utility as normal?

can this be installed over asus firmware or does it have to be installed over merlin firmware?

also, do i need to go through with the rescue mode procedure in order to properly flash this firmware or can i use the firmware utility as normal?

From the OP: For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website or the built in CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware. You must always perform a factory default reset following the firmware update when moving from ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware above level 374 regardless if you updated via the web interface or Restoration Tool.

ISSUE with routing.
Wow, how may hours people has put in to make this comprehensive router os shine like it does. Iäm amazed!
I'm new to the Asus FW world, only tried DD-WRT & Tomato on Dlink & Linksys back in the days.

Setup: RT-N66U + 4G dongle Huawei E398
I run the latest Asus stock & Merlin fw with no issues. However, I like the fork as it has better wifi drivers (better reach and performance I hope). I get 60/20Mbps with stock fw but quite poor wifi reach (worse than with a Dovado Pro)

The issue
After installing the fork fw I can never reach the wan/internet from inside. I install via the fw recovery tool and o a factory reset per the instruction.

Feels like I have tried everything :)

With my limited knowledge I conclude that the routing seems off as the traffic does not get routed correctly.
From the router (via SSH), I can ping the internet (8.8.8.8) and the inside network 192.168.1.x Also load a web page with wget.

I have tried the 39E1 & 39E3 with same result

I've spent a silly amount of time.

Any of you experts that has a clue on where look next ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!