What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did that. I went from the latest stock Asuswrt to Fork so had to use the FW Restoration Tool. I restored settings to default, did WPS NVRAM clear, flashed firmware again but through GUI and repeated the above.

It may need to be flashed with the FW Restoration Tool again. Might try it once the RT-AC86U comes back from RMA.

Try using FireFox, with out any extensions, just bare bone/vanilla installation of a FireFox. 99% of the time, this works flawlessly for me on Windows and MAC machines.
For the 1% of the time, I use Asus Firmware Restoration tool.

Sorry for the noob question ...

My 68U is on Merlin 384.13 and I want to try John's fork to see if it improves repeater mode (and maybe even allows me to use repeater over 5g) but when I go into CFE Mini-Web Server and try to flash RT-AC68U_374.43_39E3j9527.trx I get "The file transferred is not a valid firmware image."

I also tried flashing FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx but same error.

Trying through ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool just says "Cannot connect to router."

Is something wrong with my firmware/bootloader? Do I need to downgrade to <380 before flashing John's?
Did you follow every step of this tutorial? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/

The router must be in Rescue mode for the utility to work.
No need to flash with intermediate fw if its for downgrade.

Try using FireFox, with out any extensions, just bare bone/vanilla installation of a FireFox. 99% of the time, this works flawlessly for me on Windows and MAC machines.
For the 1% of the time, I use Asus Firmware Restoration tool.

I was referring to the LayoutNG bug in Chrome where the text layout gets all screwed up. I've had no problem flashing firmware, and only needed the Restoration Tool to get back to John's Fork from Merlin.

John I have tried all the E development builds with dns over tls enable you no longer have internet, disable it and internet comes back, the latest E9 build is the same still broken on n66u.

Hello everyone.
I also have tried last development builds on AC66u and Internet is broken when enabling DNS over TLS, regardless the rest of DNS settings. I hope this can help.

Hello everyone.
I also have tried last development builds on AC66u and Internet is broken when enabling DNS over TLS, regardless the rest of DNS settings. I hope this can help.
Stubby and GetDNS were updated since the last public release of the fork. What does your syslog say when dnsmasq and Stubby startup? Is the time synced on the router?

I'm experimenting with adding this line to /jffs/configs/stubby.yml.add:
Code:
resolvconf: "/tmp/resolv.conf"
I want to make sure Stubby can resolve any hostnames it needs to startup properly, and pointing to the WAN DNS servers would allow this. This is borrowed from the Merlin implementation. I haven't yet experimented with DoT on 40E9, but without knowing the errors, maybe it could help those having issues.

Updated to latest dev build. Zero issues so far on N66U and AC68U with DoT enabled.

Scratch my last post.
Still having issues with internet when using HotSpot while connected to either USB ports.

Tried various brand firmwares and I can’t seem to find a solution.

The issue I’m dealing with which is intermittent, happens every 10 minutes:
Webpages are slow loading at times, takes 3-4 minutes. But if I run a speed test at the same time than I get anything between 50-150Mbps.
But if I connect directly to the hotspot, than there are no issues.
I have two hotspots, different brands and experiencing same issues with both.

I don’t know if there is a setting/s I missed, but I don’t know what else to try at this point.

Stubby and GetDNS were updated since the last public release of the fork. What does your syslog say when dnsmasq and Stubby startup? Is the time synced on the router?

This is my log John hope it helps.

Doesn't seem to be uploading what am i doing wrong?

I'm experimenting with adding this line to /jffs/configs/stubby.yml.add:
Code:
resolvconf: "/tmp/resolv.conf"
I want to make sure Stubby can resolve any hostnames it needs to startup properly, and pointing to the WAN DNS servers would allow this. This is borrowed from the Merlin implementation. I haven't yet experimented with DoT on 40E9, but without knowing the errors, maybe it could help those having issues.
I'm also experimenting with forcing the router to use WAN DNS for its lookups instead of DNSMASQ, like Merlin did by default in 384.12. I think it makes sense to do so, but not sure if there are any side-effects unique to John's fork.
My /jffs/scripts/wan-start script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

[ -f "/tmp/resolv.conf" ] && ln -sf /tmp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

EDIT: I see this is fruitless because dnsmasq relinks the /etc/resolv.conf to /rom/etc/resolv.conf AFTER the dnsmasq.postconf script runs, so I can't really enforce this. Learned something new!

Last edited:
The 40E9 release feels really solid. Interestingly, it's versioned as an E release versus a D release for development, or B for beta.

We even now have the new Firefox DoH canary domain feature in the fork:
upload_2019-10-14_15-20-37.png

This release, plus @Adamm's quick fixes to Skynet to accommodate the fork differences make this a real winner!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!