What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome back John, Really happy to have you back .
Well i have tried everything and seems it doesnt work , i will try today with the new build & keep you posted

Tried with this update also but no luck , same issue .
Complete reset and re-configured router but no luck.

Part of this fork is that the wireless drivers are 'stable'.....last change was for the Krack fix in 2017,

It's likely that wireless contention has increased with everyone at home now. If you haven't moved the router, or added new electronics in your home that can be causing noise, double check again that there aren't a lot of other access points on your selected channel.

Tried with latest update also but no luck , same issue .
Complete reset and re-configured router but no luck.

Until the CloudFlare situation stabilizes, I would recommend that anyone using DoT on the fork use this stubby.postconf:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

. /usr/sbin/helper.sh

CONFIG="$1"

pc_delete "tls_min_version: GETDNS_TLS1_3" "$CONFIG"
This will use the stubby default GETDNS_TLS1_2. Better than a stubby.yml.add which would end up with 2 different tls_min_version directives in the same file.
It’s not doing any harm as-is, but anyone who has upgraded to 42E7 no longer needs this postconf script I posted a while ago. It’s already fixed in the firmware.

If my rt-ac66u wont go into rescue mode or my computer cant see that it is, what other options do I have with this router?

I've got a RT-N66U that has been running fine (in AP mode) but I'd like to update the firmware on it and wanted to try this fork.

It's currently running Merlin 378.51(_0) firmware which looks to be from around March 2015 (whoa!)

I've read briefly through the Upgrade Matrix and a few posts but I'm honestly not sure what the recommended way to update it would be -- can I just flash via the web UI and factory reset or do I need to use the restoration tool?

Thanks much in advance for any pointers...

If my rt-ac66u wont go into rescue mode or my computer cant see that it is, what other options do I have with this router?
Assuming that your router is functional I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get it into recovery mode. The timing can be fiddly but it's do-able. What firmware version are you currently running?

I've got a RT-N66U that has been running fine (in AP mode) but I'd like to update the firmware on it and wanted to try this fork.

It's currently running Merlin 378.51(_0) firmware which looks to be from around March 2015 (whoa!)

I've read briefly through the Upgrade Matrix and a few posts but I'm honestly not sure what the recommended way to update it would be -- can I just flash via the web UI and factory reset or do I need to use the restoration tool?
I'm pretty sure you can upgrade straight to version 374.43_42E7 through the GUI. Just remember to do a factory default reset after installing the firmware and the router has booted up for the first time.

A new formal release has been posted for those still using this fork after all this time :) Please see the first post and review the Changelog for the updates.
Special thanks to @ColinTaylor for his testing and feedback/suggestions.

LATEST RELEASE: Update-42E7
26-March-2020
Merlin fork 374.43_42E7j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

SHA256
Code:
(Default Build - All supported routers)
3137f3b555d203610dceba6b6d545252c8e83c0536daad63c7437b65b32ee0d0  RT-N16_374.43_42E7j9527.trx
e9fc048afa5f3fc6393217d0cde17ba437697823823b94b7cd3eb60bc36c263a  RT-AC66U_374.43_42E7j9527.trx
720e88e6fde47d34faba8955f93047b69aad5b8b5c98199d53c34c5d79bc98f4  RT-N66U_374.43_42E7j9527.trx
41e25937614fe2404b96fadc1b62a1579714f1f47fdda93d489163b87b5ba1c4  RT-AC68U_374.43_42E7j9527.trx
e4feb4b04fc7895ef8b095b58d779a00175a8ea3c0cc30152fb6d04708d98766  RT-AC56U_374.43_42E7j9527.trx

As for my absence from the forum....
Some of you may remember that my father passed away last year. Without going into a lot of detail, let's just say that having to deal with his estate has been a challenge, both from a logistics/work-to-do and personal point of view. As a result, I needed to limit some of my activities. While things are still far from complete (and now complicated by the pandemic), I'm going to start easing back into my 'fun' pass times....participating in this forum being one of them.

Thanks to everyone that stepped up and provided support as well as for your understanding.

I'm sorry for your loss! Glad to hear back from you and thanks for the new build!

Good to see you back John.

I just put 42E7 on my old RT-N66U, h/w B1, and I am running in AP mode. I gave it static ip.

The router will not update time. I read some things here about the issue with Merlin fw, but not sure if it's the same with this one.

Will leaving the ip dynamic, or putting in a dns solve the issue or any other work arounds? Thanks

Good to see you back John.

I just put 42E7 on my old RT-N66U, h/w B1, and I am running in AP mode. I gave it static ip.

The router will not update time. I read some things here about the issue with Merlin fw, but not sure if it's the same with this one.

Will leaving the ip dynamic, or putting in a dns solve the issue or any other work arounds? Thanks
Been a while since I set up an AP. I can pull my N66 and try it and refresh my memory....

First, did you do a factory reset after the switch?
Next...if you set the static ip on the AP itself (vs the parent router), it should force you to also set the DNS. I'd doulble check the LAN settings on the AP.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot you should have seen during the AP setup. If you enter a static IP here, the auto DNS setting changes to No and you need to put in an address. You can use your parent router address if you want.
AP-LAN.png

Last edited:
Been a while since I set up an AP. I can pull my N66 and try it and refresh my memory....

First, did you do a factory reset after the switch?
Next...if you set the static ip on the AP itself (vs the parent router), it should force you to also set the DNS. I'd doulble check the LAN settings on the AP.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot you should have seen during the AP setup. If you enter a static IP here, the auto DNS setting changes to No and you need to put in an address. You can use your parent router address if you want.
View attachment 22413

Thanks

Yep, did a factory reset, including a jffs format, and a software reboot and a power cycle :)

Yes your screenshot, same as what I see, I did try putting in a DNS server (opendns) like the parent router (AC68U - Merlin) and then it ask me for a default gateway ip, which I have no clue which it should be?

Would it be better leaving the ip to dynamic instead of static?

Also, I could not click on yes to DNS, and while default is no, it is left blank like your screenshot.

I will try again, and let you know.

Thanks

Edit - ok went in through the setup like your s.s. (I think I was originally in the LAN tab) and entered the DNS and went through and saved/applied, then logged on, cleared log and rebooted.
and
Dec 31 19:02:16 ntp: NTP update failed after 5 attempts
also
Remind: The System time zone is different from your locale setting.

I set it to eastern cause that's where I am, but it wants to pull Atlantic, I am assuming that's cause thinks its December and dst isn't picked up

Also under LAN default gateway is 0.0.0.0.

Cheers

Last edited:
@anotherengineer Perhaps the AP doesn't have a valid DNS server set. Try specifying the IP address of an NTP server near you rather than a name (pool.ntp.org).

no change, same thing won't pick up time.

I used
Hostname time.nrc.ca
IP Address 132.246.168.148

@anotherengineer
'0.0.0.0' should work as the default gateway. Put your routers address in as the DNS address.

But, I would set the AP to DHCP....and it you want to assign it an address, do so from the parent router LAN/DHCP server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!