What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

:confused: What gateway address does that create?
To be honest, I'm not sure how that works....although I know I've seen it used before. In fact, I'm logged in thru my N66 set up as an access point right now with these settings.
AP-LAN2.png

But, I really don't like this setup. Since it's static, you don't get a lease on the parent router showing the AP has connected or have an indication of it's address.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not sure how that works....although I know I've seen it used before. In fact, I'm logged in thru my N66 set up as an access point right now with these settings.
View attachment 22416

But, I really don't like this setup. Since it's static, you don't get a lease on the parent router showing the AP has connected or have an indication of it's address.
Strange. Does it create a default route at all (System Log - Routing Table)? I've seen people try to use an Asus in router mode as an access point (with the WAN disconnected). That works, but without a default route any non-local IP addresses are unreachable (by the AP itself).

I guess that apart from NTP an access point has no need to access anything outside of the local subnet. So apart from the time being wrong it's not an issue.

Last edited:
Strange. Does it create a default route at all (System Log - Routing Table)? I've seen people try to use an Asus in router mode as an access point (with the WAN disconnected). That works, but without a default route any non-local IP addresses are unreachable (by the AP itself).

I guess that apart from NTP an access point has no need to access anything outside of the local subnet. So apart from the time being wrong it's not an issue.
That's exactly it. I recreated the time not being set with gateway 0.0.0.0.....as soon as it's set to the router, everything works. Clients have access either way.
I'll put it on my todo list to not allow the default when you are setting up the access point with a static address.

Hello everyone, a quick question for you. It seems that VLANs are possible but I think that'd require more expensive VLAN-capable switches? Is it possible to configure two of the four ports for LAN1 and the other two ports for LAN2 where LAN1 and LAN2 don't connect/talk, both just share access with the WAN? Or will I need to look into setting up a pfSense box?
I want to put all my sketchy IoT crap on a separate network than my home/safe devices. Currently using an RT-N66U with 374.43_38E4j9527.
Thanks,
Mike

@mike7143 you may want to consider upgrading to the latest 42.E7 firmware for your model and then see if YazFi helps on your platform. :)

@anotherengineer
'0.0.0.0' should work as the default gateway. Put your routers address in as the DNS address.

But, I would set the AP to DHCP....and it you want to assign it an address, do so from the parent router LAN/DHCP server.

Thanks John. If I set the N66 AP to DHCP, do I still have to put in the 68U router ip into the n66 DNS address?

(mech eng, not software eng :)

Either that or set the radio button above 'Connect to DNS server automatically' to Yes

Thanks. Just set the Get LAN IP to Auto/Dynamic and it rebooted and picked up date/time. Forgot to change DNS, it was still on NO and BLANK, but time and date was picking up. Default gateway picked up routers IP.

Should I leave connect to DNS automatically on NO and Blank, or put something in, or change to yes?

:confused: What gateway address does that create?

That address is a reserved address known as the route of last resort.

You should technically define the IP address of your Internet connected router or leave it blank, but based on what John is saying I guess the Linux networking stack will accept that reserved address as the default gateway.

Best practice would have the route of last resort only be leveraged on a routing table.

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1812.txt

That address is a reserved address known as the route of last resort.
I know what a default route is but in this case that isn't what we're talking about. A default route has a network address of 0.0.0.0, the field we're talking about is the gateway address.

Last edited:
@john9527 As part of the new Addons API which you backported, I'd like to lobby to include Base64.js from Merlin to allow safe storage of long, multi-line custom settings that might include newline characters, etc.

Thoughts? :D
Done. I'm getting ready to put up a development build with a change that needs to get some runtime. It will be in there.

An FYI trivia post :)

Just for fun I checked the amount of change git was tracking between the base release of the this fork and the last formal release 42E7

37656 files changed, 8267287 insertions(+), 1702282 deletions(-)

So, between inserts and deletes, there has been almost 10M lines of change over the fork's life....

Did you solve how to add tabs? My AC56U order has been cancelled due to pandemic, so I'm not able to do any hands-on dev/testing
I was wondering about that since there was a major redesign of the gui along the way....I put in the support but wasn't sure how much work it was going to be to support both 'styles'.

I was wondering about that since there was a major redesign of the gui along the way....I put in the support but wasn't sure how much work it was going to be to support both 'styles'.
It looks like state.js needs modifying, which shouldn't be too difficult. I just wanted a fork compatible router so I could make sure things work without pestering users to test :p

Did you solve how to add tabs? My AC56U order has been cancelled due to pandemic, so I'm not able to do any hands-on dev/testing :(
Not automatically with sed, but I am just appending to the tab array 12 for the Tools menus while I work on the asp page. Weird to code within the asp for Merlin or fork with if statements on the buildno nvram var for now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!