What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greetings,
I have the RT-N66U ASUS Wireless Router with, Asuswrt-Merlin firmware "RT-N66U_380.70_0.trx" installed. I find it to be very stable, so no complaints.

I am curious though... does the latest release of this Merlin fork have any benefits in direct comparison, or should I skip it if I don't have any problems with my current firmware? Thanks guys.

Best regards,
// Mythos

I am curious though... does the latest release of this Merlin fork have any benefits in direct comparison, or should I skip it if I don't have any problems with my current firmware?
This fork contains many bug fixes and enhancements over 380.70, but if you're not currently effected by any of those the main advantage would be the security fixes. So if you're using the N66U as your internet gateway device I would strongly recommend migrating to this firmware.

EDIT: Just realised I gave you the same answer back in December.

This fork contains many bug fixes and enhancements over 380.70, but if you're not currently effected by any of those the main advantage would be the security fixes. So if you're using the N66U as your internet gateway device I would strongly recommend migrating to this firmware.

EDIT: Just realised I gave you the same answer back in December.

Yes i've been on the fence, worried about potential drawbacks migrating to this fork as everything here has been working great for a long time. Much obliged.

Hey guys, I need some help sorting out a problem.
So I use PiHole for my DNS and I have ENABLED DNS Filtering, so ALL DNS inquiries are sent to PiHole IP (since some of my devices are hard-coded to use Google DNS) anyway, the issue I am trying to resolve is find a way to have backup in case PiHole is down.
I was thinking of this:
In LAN settings, DNS 1 = PiholeIP / DNS 2 = Router IP
In WAN Settings, DNS 1 = PoholeIP /DNS 2 = 8.8.8.8
The idea is, IF my Pihole is down, my device tries DNS 2, then router tries PiHole, and since that is down, it then tries Google

My question is :
A) is the above logic correct? would it work?
B) if so, I need to add the Router MAC address to the DNS Filtering list to NO Filtering, How do I get the Mac Address?

Appreciate your time.

So I use PiHole for my DNS and I have ENABLED DNS Filtering, so ALL DNS inquiries are sent to PiHole IP (since some of my devices are hard-coded to use Google DNS) anyway, the issue I am trying to resolve is find a way to have backup in case PiHole is down.
I was thinking of this:
The idea is, IF my Pihole is down, my device tries DNS 2, then router tries PiHole, and since that is down, it then tries Google

My question is :
B) if so, I need to add the Router MAC address to the DNS Filtering list to NO Filtering, How do I get the Mac Address?

Appreciate your time.
There was a similar discussion here. So that would be:

WAN Settings:
DNS 1 = 8.8.8.8
DNS 2 = empty

LAN - DHCP settings:
DNS 1 = PiholeIP
DNS 2 = empty
Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS = Yes (or set to No and put the router's address in LAN DNS 2)

DNSFilter:
Enable DNS-based Filtering = On
Global filter mode = Custom #1
Custom DNS #1 = router's IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1)
Client list: Pihole = No Filtering (Only necessary if you don't want the PiHole to forward through the router's DNS server.)

I was thinking of this:

My question is :

Appreciate your time.
I think it could work if you add strict-order to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add so that the router always prefers dns1 if available. But you have an equal chance of Pi-Hole getting queries from the real client IP or the router IP for any client’s query, so any special client features in use on pi-hole would be negated half the time.

Hi back! I did what you suggested Colin, thanks.
I got a 5% packet drop to one of the targets using ping. Not sure why such a high number of packets were dropped; could be in part cable issues in part that the cheap repeater/access point I am using not being able to respond quick enough to the flood of pings. Will keep checking on this, isolating the components to see which one is the main culprit. Got the tools now, it's a simple test setup that works. Thanks a lot for your help!

I don't think there's anything to worry about on the WAN side. The ppp0 interface is being tunnelled through eth0 so it needs to have a smaller MTU to allow for the tunnel's packet overhead. Clients use PMTUD to discover the maximum packet size to use to avoid fragmentation.

For Entware you could install a better version of ping and then flood ping the IP addresses of each of your APs. Leave it running for a while and then Ctrl-C to break out of it and see how many lost packets you have lost.
Code:
# opkg install iputils-ping
Code:
# ping -f 192.168.1.10
PING 192.168.1.10 (192.168.1.10) 56(84) bytes of data.
.^
--- 192.168.1.10 ping statistics ---
168034 packets transmitted, 168034 received, 0% packet loss, time 18934ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.046/0.072/6.747/0.046 ms, ipg/ewma 0.112/0.077 ms
Remember to wiggle the cables around at each end to make sure there aren't any intermittent connections. ;)

@john9527

Just switched from Merlin 384.16 to Fork 44EA. Router RT-AC68. Couple of things I would like to share with you.

1) Hotspot connected via USB port, detection is still a bit buggy. Router sees the Hotspot Brand and make, but wont get internet connection, even though it gets an IP. Disconnecting the hotspot from USB port, Router wont release the WAN IP that was assigned by a hotspot.
Had to reboot the router a couple of times. That didn't solve the issue. Power cycled the hotspot as well.
Switched settings from USB Hotspot to Android, that didn't work either. Rebooted the router few more times and it started working.
Hotspot detection and communication with the router is still spotty, but its an improvement from few versions ago.

2) Took 3 tries to install Diversion. Installation process kept hanging at random stages. So I installed Skynet and then Diversion installation worked flawlessly. Not sure if it was coincidence or just luck. This wasn't an issue in the past.

3) Since im using Hotspot connected via a USB port on the router, I have WAN set to USB (in Dual-WAN Tab) and im not using dual WAN setting. Im seeing an odd bug. Lets say im on the main screen on the router, if I click on the WAN tab on the right side, it will take me to a Internet Connection window that shows standard WAN connection page, not the USB Modem / USB Tethering window. (see images bellow.). So I have to click on the Dual want tab or any tab and then click on Internet Connection (first tab on top under WAN) and then router shows me the USB Modem / USB Tethering options.
This bug can be observed on Mac and on Windows computer. On Safari browser and on Edge Browser.

4) I mainly use Mac laptop for everything and Safari as main web browser. With 44EA firmware, router asks me to re-enter username and password the second time after 10sec, even though im already logged in to the router. This is not an issue with Edge Browser on Mac or in Windows OS.

5) Safari on Mac wont save login credentials for the router when using Fork firmware, but Edge browser does. When using Merlin firmware, Safari browser does save login credentials for the router.
I cleared cache in the Safari, even changed LAN IP in the router.
EDIT: I deleted cookies in Safari on Mac (login credentials) for the router it self and now, im able to login to the router with out being asked for user name and password. Very odd. I'll test it in the next few days, but I call that a win for now.
EDIT 2: Router asked me for a password 10sec later, even though im already logged in to the router . Safari V13.1.12.
EDIT 3: Router asked me to re-enter password again after 10sec.

Cant think of anything else at this time, since I mainly use the router for WiFi, Diversion and Skynet.
Over all, 44EA firmware is working well for my daily needs.

Thanks again for your hard work.
Cheers.

EDIT 4:
6) I dont know if this is a new feature in the 44EA firmware but I havent seen it before and I havent seen it in Merlin firmware. I havent used Asus OEM firmware in years.
In the past, if I log in to a router from a device "A"(laptop, cellphone, etc). If I dont log out and try to log in with device "B", I would get a message that I need to log out with device "A".
To bypass the message, all I had to do, is manually turn off the router and im able to login with device "B"(computer, tablet, cellphone, etc) in to the router.
But now, turning off the router, removing the power cord, no longer logs out device "A". I still have to manually log out of the router using device "A", before I can log in to the router with device "B".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.57.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.57.47 PM.png
    268.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.58.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.58.07 PM.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.16.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.16.22 PM.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Quick question. Running Firmware 44EA on AC68 router.

Out of curiocity. How accurate is the Traffic Monitor on the router?
SpeedTest App by Ookla shows different down and up speeds.

Thanks.

Edit.
Once I chose the Wireless 5Ghz tab, the speeds are more aligned with the Speed Test App. Just kind of odd, that Internet Tab has different speed results. Since there is no other activity on the network.

Its not the most important thing, just personal curiosity.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.54.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.54.56 PM.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.57.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 10.57.11 PM.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
@john9527

Asus AC68, firmware 44EA.

Unfortunately, firmware 44EA is not ready to be used with standalone hotspots, that require connection via USB port to the router (USB2 or via USB3).
After couple of hours of using 44EA firmware, things went sideways.

Speed test, still showed consistent speeds. An average of 100Mb/s down, 18Mb/s up.

But web surfing became difficult. Many websites would simply not load (Snbforums, CNN, CapitalOne, Pepco, Merlin firmware website, etc). Web Pages that eventually did load, were missing images/pics. I was not able to log in to my Amazon account.
Apps, on iOS devices that require internet connection, would not load or would not log in to online accounts; bank apps, map apps, calendar app, email apps.
I was not able to access webpages to access online accounts for: water bill, electric, bill, gas bill, etc. Webpages, accounts via apps, that I can easily access using cellular network on my iPhone via apps or via web browser, work with no issues on a cellphone using cellular network. (not connected to home wifi AC68 router).

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to go back to Merlin firmware. AT&T Hotspot, is my main internet access I use at this time time, since im grandfathered in to unlimited data. I do have an option for Comcast/Xfinity home internet, but I would be paying up to x3 per month for similar plan.

I have two hotspots, ZTE Velocity 2 and Netgear Aircard 781S. Both hotspots experience same issues when using 44EA firmware on AC68 router.

None of these issues are present on Merlin firmware 384.14/15/16/17/18.

John.

Thank you again for your hardwork. I hope you find a solution in the near future for people as my self, who use hotspots. Let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT:
I mainly use the router for Wifi in my home. Its running Skynet and Diversion. Nothing is connected to LAN ports, I have no media servers. Boring vanilla, home network, even my TV has no internet connection.

Last edited:
@KGB7 The issues you see with Safari, especially the password related ones, are limitations/quirks of Safari. Nothing you can do about those really.

On Merlin and stock Txpower adjustment is a slider between performance and power saving. On this fork you can choose the actual value.
Is that the main differentiator between the two in terms of wifi performance?

I"m seeing lots of threads saying more tx power is bad or doesn't always help, but that's only true if you have interference issues right? I only plan on using the 5G band and my router is in the basement, so there aren't many foreign 5G signals anyways.

If I want strong wifi performance and jiffs support, this is the fork to use right?

I'm using a MIPS ACC66U

On Merlin and stock Txpower adjustment is a slider between performance and power saving. On this fork you can choose the actual value.
Is that the main differentiator between the two in terms of wifi performance?

I"m seeing lots of threads saying more tx power is bad or doesn't always help, but that's only true if you have interference issues right? I only plan on using the 5G band and my router is in the basement, so there aren't many foreign 5G signals anyways.

If I want strong wifi performance and jiffs support, this is the fork to use right?

I'm using a MIPS ACC66U
I've only ever used AC68 variants, so it's possible that my experiences don't translate, but generally what you have said I found to be true. The transmit power is capped at 200mW and I never saw any particular benefit to having it up that high anyway. Even more so if you're planning to keep to the 5GHz band. It used to be the case, though, that the fork gave you the option to use the DFS channels that weren't otherwise available and that was my main interest at the time because I lived in a very crowded complex. I can't recall if that was applicable on all models, though.

I'm using a MIPS ACC66U
This fork won't give you any more WiFi power but it will give you custom scripts and configs, like Merlin's. But unlike Merlin's firmware this fork still actively supports your old router.

Quick question, does the wireless scheduler actually work? Not for me, it switches off my radio and never switches it on again. Had the same issue with a previous build (now running 44EA). Thanks.

Quick question, does the wireless scheduler actually work? Not for me, it switches off my radio and never switches it on again. Had the same issue with a previous build (now running 44EA). Thanks.
Seems to work for me, although it typically kicks in two or three minutes after the allotted time.

What dates/times do you have scheduled?

Also works for me....kicked in right at the scheduled time. AC68P

There was a similar discussion here. So that would be:

WAN Settings:
DNS 1 = 8.8.8.8
DNS 2 = empty

LAN - DHCP settings:
DNS 1 = PiholeIP
DNS 2 = empty
Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS = Yes (or set to No and put the router's address in LAN DNS 2)

DNSFilter:
Enable DNS-based Filtering = On
Global filter mode = Custom #1
Custom DNS #1 = router's IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1)
Client list: Pihole = No Filtering (Only necessary if you don't want the PiHole to forward through the router's DNS server.)
Hey bud, thanks for the reply.
Question so I can understand better.
Should I not put pihole DNS under WAN DNS1 and DNS 2 should be 8.8.8.8 ?

The reason I say this is, If I have DNS Filter ON , the reason is, some devices have hardcoded Google DNS, which I want them to still use Pihole, the setup you guys (If i understand it correct) it would point these devices to ROUTER, which since it has only 1 DNS under WAN, is going to fwd request to 8.8.8.8 as oppose to Pihole.

Am I missing something?
I think WAN should be DNS 1: Pihole // DNS 2: 8.8.8.8

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!