What's new

Beta [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin for RT-AX58U_V2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is this still being actively developed?
Actually, no.

A couple weeks ago I tried to make new frankenstein build for RT-AX58U_V2 by combining the 388 GPL package for RT-AX57, 386 GPL package for RT-AX58U (not V2) and Merlin's repo mainline (currently 388). During the process I faced many issues with lack of required symbols in prebuilt binaries, especially for rc component, so I didn't even make a flashable image.

Then I gave up and flashed official 388 FW which was released on 16.02.2023 and found out that Asus added Wireguard and Samba v2 support for RT-AX58U_V2. Since these two feature was the main reason why I decided to make fork for RT-AX58U_V2, I don't have strong motivation to continue fork development anymore.

I apologize for the disappointment.

Btw, today I noticed that Asus released 388 GPL sources for RT-AX58U a few days ago and it seems to include sources for V2 too, so probably I will prepare an update someday.

Actually, no.

A couple weeks ago I tried to make new frankenstein build for RT-AX58U_V2 by combining the 388 GPL package for RT-AX57, 386 GPL package for RT-AX58U (not V2) and Merlin's repo mainline (currently 388). During the process I faced many issues with lack of required symbols in prebuilt binaries, especially for rc component, so I didn't even make a flashable image.

Then I gave up and flashed official 388 FW which was released on 16.02.2023 and found out that Asus added Wireguard and Samba v2 support for RT-AX58U_V2. Since these two feature was the main reason why I decided to make fork for RT-AX58U_V2, I don't have strong motivation to continue fork development anymore.

I apologize for the disappointment.

Btw, today I noticed that Asus released 388 GPL sources for RT-AX58U a few days ago and it seems to include sources for V2 too, so probably I will prepare an update someday.
@RMerlin what were the biggest challenges you faced when investigating V2 support? I am sure you looked at this. Is the infrequent gpl releases the reason? Is the model too different from your master source code?

What a pity :-(
Yes, as it seems this is #7 top seller on amazon where the next supported ax86u router is #20. On Bestbuy the ax58u is way more popular seller as well. But i suppose the more important data is from RMerlin's downloads and install base, his main sourceforge site does list the ax58u as the top 3rd most downloaded ax model though.
Then there is cost to Asus for this snaffu, for not clearly identifying the ver 2, and suffering a lot of return's when people see that they got a V2 that has no RMerlin support.

Maybe when RMerlin gets to re-evaluate the lineup based on gpl support he will be able to revisit this model

Amazon isn't a place to get product recommendations (for most, if not many things). The primary goal here is 'cheap', but good enough.

RMerlin has made his decision, I hardly believe he will change his mind with Amazon stats.

In addition, the low-quality experience this router model offers.

Amazon isn't a place to get product recommendations (for most, if not many things). The primary goal here is 'cheap', but good enough.

RMerlin has made his decision, I hardly believe he will change his mind with Amazon stats.

In addition, the low-quality experience this router model offers.

This thread was about AX-58U v2

The thread you linked to, presumably to support your "low-quality experience" opinion is about AX-56U

Many people come here to learn and understand. Please don't mislead them by conflating hard facts, unintentionally or intentionally.

RMerlin already spoke for himself.

Selective reading I see.

I didn't link to the thread, I linked to my post. On topic.

Selective reading I see.

I didn't link to the thread, I linked to my post. On topic.
Not sure why you source yourself from your own post as evidence of "low-quality experience this router model offers" for the ax58u V2, but I get it, you are not a fan of the model.

BTW my post was simply about popularity not recommendation of this particular model.

In any case thanks for setting the record straight for RMerlin

Experience. That is why I source myself.

Just sharing what I know after having bought and used that model.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!