What's new

Beta [FORK] [DSL] [TESTERS] GNUton's Alpha/Beta Merlin builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GNUton

Hi and Welcome!
Building a stable firmware takes a lot of time and a lot of it goes in testing too.
Gnuton's AsusWrt builds can be more stable and more pleasent to be used if properly tested by many people.
Betas are generally pretty much safe to use.

So I would welcome you to test my builds and report.
This thread is for:
  • Announcing new pre-release
  • Get feedback from testers
  • Getting idea on how to improve the firmware
The supported routers are:
  • DSL-AC68U
  • DSL-AX82U/DSL-AX5400
  • RT-AX82U
  • TUF-AX5400
  • TUF-AX3000
  • ZenWiFi AX (X8) / RT-AX95Q

The latest pre-release is currently:
68747470733a2f2f696d672e736869656c64732e696f2f6769746875622f762f7461672f676e75746f6e2f617375737772742d6d65726c696e2e6e673f696e636c7564655f70726572656c6561736573266c6162656c3d7072652d72656c65617365
and it can be dowloaded from here.
Thanks and enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi GNUton,

I just enrolled to this forum today.

First of all, I would like to thank you and to all developers/contributors who are placing tremendous efforts to create and maintain great firmware. Here is my story:

I have DSL-AC68U. I was on a stock Asus firmware for long time, then after finding out you had a firmware version compatible for this DSL modem/router, 384.17_0-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.4.9, I installed it and used it without problems for about a year.

DSL-AC68U_386.01_2-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.5.2: This new firmware version was published. I dirty installed it. Unfortunately, I started having internet connection problems, I decided to perform factory reset. I did that using WPS button reset method. I entered all settings manually from GUI. I activated Diversion, Skynet, Scribe, FlexQOS, uDivStats, uiScribe. I forgot to “Format JFFS partition at next boot”.

I was having internet disconnection problems with this version as well. All clients were not able to access the internet about a couple of times a day. Only rebooting solved the problem. Interesting thing was, during the disconnect problems, Internet status was showing connected. DSL status was showing activity both ways. When I use the ping tool on the Network Tools page of the GUI, I was able to ping Google, Yahoo, etc. I was also able to ping www.google.com from my laptop. However, no connection was possible.

Rather than formatting JFFS partition and setting factory reset and entering all that data again, I went back to your original 384.17_0-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.4.9, I restored the saved backed up configuration settings. I used it for about 3 weeks without any problems and no rebooting was needed during this period.

386.02_1-gnuton0_beta1_DSL_1.0.5.3: I realized you published this version. So, I decided to install that, performed factory reset using multiple methods and times as recommended by forum member L&LD, I did perform “Format JFFS partition at next boot”. I entered all data as required for correct operation. Installed some of those scripts I mentioned above, using AMTM.

Unfortunately, I started to observe the same internet disconnection problems I mentioned above. At least once a day, internet access was being lost. I also installed scMerlin script from AMTM. After internet was disconnected, from the GUI, I restarted:

“Internet Connection”, waited, no access to internet.

“DNS/DHCP Server (dnsmasq)”, waited, no access to internet.

“DDNS client”, waited, no access to internet.

I also tried changing some other settings from the GUI, none helped to restore the connection. Reboot was the only solution.

I would like to offer assistance in determining the cause before going back to stable version of 384.17_0-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.4.9. I do not know programming but I can follow clear instructions.

As a side note: I also observed the following issues that may be unrelated:

“Enable Web Access from WAN” Default is no, I changed to “Yes”, I wanted to test access from internet to my routers GUI. I was able to login by lost connection from WAN. After logging in to firmware locally from LAN, I realized the setting for “Enable Web Access from WAN” changed to NO.

Similar situation exist for SSH access from WAN, “Enable SSH” default is “LAN only”. I changed it to “LAN & WAN”, tested with “Authorized Keys” and password login, successfully logged in, but lost connection, After logging in to firmware locally from LAN, I realized the setting for “Enable SSH” changed to “LAN Only”.

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your esperience.
As far as I know skynet is disabling WAN access. So if you enable it, the script will overwrite the NVRAM variables and disable it. So that's why you see that.
If the DSL is connected and you can ping internet, the modem is working correctly, even though something weird with routing happens on your LAN.

Here is my suggestion:
1. Use the latest firmware
2. format JFFS and NVRAM after installing the new firmware
3. DO NOT INSTALL ANY script
4. run the plain clean firmware with minimal amount of settings for a while and check if you still get these "disconnections"
5. if everything works fine, please enable the script one by one until you do not pin down the one which is culprit of this (if it's a script).

Please report your findings and ask me/us anything. I would try to help.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will follow them. Please clarify the following:
  1. Item 1. Latest firmware: Do you mean to say the latest beta 386.02_1-gnuton0_beta1_DSL_1.0.5.3?
  2. Item 2 where you said "format NVRAM after installing the new firmware". I know how to format JFFS, is there separate command to format NVRAM? Do you mean to clear the NVRAM by performing factory reset?
At the time I installed your beta firmware by following L&LD procedure, I did save a snapshot of the configuration file (Settings_DSL-AC68U.CFG) without installing any AMTM scripts as baseline. So, after I remove the USB stick, and format JFFS, I will clear the NVRAM, and then import that configuration per your suggestion.

I was and I am still noticing a lot of activity on Skynet. I am attaching the log file for you to see if that is excessive.

Attachments

• skynet-0.log.txt
    47.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
1. Here is the latest release: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/386.02_1-gnuton1 fresh backed.
2. As for formatting hte JFFS partition select "Format JFFS partition at next boot" in the page http://router.asus.com/Advanced_System_Content.asp
If you import the old config you can import also bad settings. Do not import any old setting, just set wireless/passwords and DSL config.... the bare minimum...
and test it.. if you still see issues it would be easier for me to understand what's wrong...

As for skynet logs. I do not use it, but the logs just says it hasblocked some ip ranges and it shows the incomoning blocked request.. nothing useful. No outgoging traffic blocked in the logs you pasted, but that could be the reason why you lose the internet connection I think. skynet may block the client traffic in your LAN for some reasons... that's why the router pings google but your pc cannot.

After posting my Skynet logs yesterday, while waiting for your response, I uninstalled Skynet script completely yesterday evening. There was no outage until this morning. Then, it occured again and my LAN devices stopped seeing internet again.

I will try the latest you suggested now.

Edit: I upgraded to the latest firmware. Performed Factory reset using different methods. Formatted JFFS.
- Followed the wizard to connect to ISP, set up the 2.4 and 5GHz Wifi SSID and passwords. Saved a configuration.
- I set the Timezone, and changed the IP Pool Starting Address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3 (As preparation for pixelserve reservation, later to be installed Diversion script). Saved a configuration again.
- Connected my switch and other clients. I normally assign static IP addresses from LAN - DHCP Server GUI. This time, I am not setting them as they will be dynamically assigned except the ones set at certain devices.

We will keep our fingers crossed. I will post any anomaly if and when it occurs.
Regards,

Last edited:
Stable: 386.02_1-gnuton1 version: Bad news. When I woke up this morning, I found my internet was out again. Ping was successful to outside. Network status was showing connected.
The only other change I made since yesterday was to define DDNS name.
I saved the syslog.txt file in case you need to inquire anything. (But not posting here).
Please advise how to proceed to debug.

Questions to understand better what's the problem:

Are you using your DSL-AC68U as gateway to internet through a DSL connection? Y/N
DNS Tests:
A. From http://router.asus.com/Main_Analysis_Content.asp if you ping 8.8.8.8 does it work? Y/N
B From http://router.asus.com/Main_Analysis_Content.asp if you ping www.google.com does it work? Y/N
C From any client in your LAN can you ping 8.8.8.8? Y/N
D From any client in your LAN can you ping www.google.com? Y/N

Routing Tests:
E. do you get a proper trace? (linux: traceroute 8.8.8.8 -n, windows: tracert 8.8.8.8)

Hi GNUton,

I was out for a few hours, and I received an email notification from my Synology account that, my server was unreachable. As soon as I came home, I confirmed that my internet was not accessible. I logged into the router. I wanted to try something during this outage. System was showing CONNECTED, I was able to ping google.com from Windows command.

This morning, after I had to reboot, I checked the screenshots I saved of the previous stable version (386.01_2-gnuton1) and this new version (386.02_1-gnuton1)
Administration, DSL Setting. Bitswap = Enabled
(default) in the older stable version but it was set to Disabled as default in the latest (386.02_1-gnuton1) version. Other DSL settings were identical between the versions.
While the internet was not accessible, I changed the setting to Enabled. After a couple of minutes later, I had access to internet. I don’t know if this makes any difference but it allowed me to access to internet without rebooting.

Let me try to answer your questions now:

Are you using your DSL-AC68U as gateway to internet through a DSL connection?
ANSWER: YES

DNS Tests:
A. From http://router.asus.com/Main_Analysis_Content.asp if you ping 8.8.8.8 does it work?
ANSWER: I have not tried this. If/when I get disconnection again, I will try. YES

B From http://router.asus.com/Main_Analysis_Content.asp if you ping www.google.com does it work?
ANSWER: YES

C From any client in your LAN can you ping 8.8.8.8?
ANSWER: I have not tried this. If/when I get disconnection again, I will try. YES

D From any client in your LAN can you ping www.google.com?
ANSWER: From laptop: ping google.com works while internet is out.

Routing Tests:
E. do you get a proper trace? (linux: traceroute 8.8.8.8 -n, windows: tracert 8.8.8.8)

Best regards,

4/20/2021 After observing another internet outage, I performed the tests you asked and modified my responses.

Last edited:
GNUton, any plans to make firmware for the RT-AX82U? What's the difference with DSL Firmware and Router Firmware? Not sure why nobody is compiling the current 386 merlin firmware for the ever popular RT-AX82U. If you can compile the DSL firmware, the router only firmware should be compiled, right?

If you can compile the DSL firmware, the router only firmware should be compiled, right?
No. You still need to merge all the closed source components for that specific model, merge in the SDK itself, and so on.

Any new model added to Asuswrt-Merlin requires dedicated work for that specific model.

I had another disconnection from internet again. When I toggled the Bitswap = Enabled to back to default mode of Disabled, the internet disconnection disappeared.

I had another disconnection from internet again. When I toggled the Bitswap = Enabled to back to default mode of Disabled, the internet disconnection disappeared.
Cool, you manage to get internet back without rebooting. I do not understand how that helps btw yet.

As for the YES/NO answers, I do understand that when you get an interenet outage, your router and laptop can ping servers on the internet and trace routes to them works also fine.
Is my understanding correct?

Yes it is correct. I set Bitswap = Enabled again after having another episode of outage.
When there is outage, turning OFF "Internet Connection" then back to ON using the GUI slider does not heal the outage.
Same thing if I Disable "Enable WAN" then Enable again from "WAN - Internet Connection" settings. THe toggling action will not heal the outage.

Last edited:
Hi GNUton,

386.02_2-gnuton0_beta1: Yesterday evening I was encouraged by not experiencing any outage since I installed the new beta1, I went ahead and did some more router configuration such as setting up VPN clients and server configurations, enabling AIProtection, QOS, Enabling DNS based filtering, Global filter mode: Router, DNS Filter: 8.8.8.8. Enabled SSH access with key from LAN Only.

"Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" is NO as default, and USB stick memory not inserted since firmware upgrade.

After 1 day and 18 hours of uninterrupted operation, this morning I experienced the first outage. During this morning's outage, I could still ping outside either from Laptop or the router. I could ping the DDNS name of my router (Name).asuscomm.com. Router says it is CONNECTED. I could also ping my NAS from my laptop. I have another NAS in a remote location, It sent me an email that my local NAS was not accessible.

I changed the DNS servers from Adguard 94.140.14.14 and .15 to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Waited a for a minute. Outage was not gone. But this time, I noticed, my WAN IP must have changed. Because pinging my router (Name).asuscomm.com was timing out this time, however I could still ping all other outside public servers.

I toggled Bitswap to Enabled from its default Disabled, after a brief moment, I regained internet access. No reboot was needed.

Logfile around the outage occurrence time does not show anything interesting to me.

Let me know how I can be of help.

It was encouraging to operate more than 24 hours without interruptions. It would be beneficial to investigate the differences between "386.02_2-gnuton0_beta1" vs. very stable version of " 384.17_0-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.4.9" that may cause such interesting outages.

Thank you.

Hi GNUton,

386.02_2-gnuton0_beta1: Yesterday evening I was encouraged by not experiencing any outage since I installed the new beta1, I went ahead and did some more router configuration such as setting up VPN clients and server configurations, enabling AIProtection, QOS, Enabling DNS based filtering, Global filter mode: Router, DNS Filter: 8.8.8.8. Enabled SSH access with key from LAN Only.

"Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" is NO as default, and USB stick memory not inserted since firmware upgrade.

After 1 day and 18 hours of uninterrupted operation, this morning I experienced the first outage. During this morning's outage, I could still ping outside either from Laptop or the router. I could ping the DDNS name of my router (Name).asuscomm.com. Router says it is CONNECTED. I could also ping my NAS from my laptop. I have another NAS in a remote location, It sent me an email that my local NAS was not accessible.

I changed the DNS servers from Adguard 94.140.14.14 and .15 to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Waited a for a minute. Outage was not gone. But this time, I noticed, my WAN IP must have changed. Because pinging my router (Name).asuscomm.com was timing out this time, however I could still ping all other outside public servers.

I toggled Bitswap to Enabled from its default Disabled, after a brief moment, I regained internet access. No reboot was needed.

Logfile around the outage occurrence time does not show anything interesting to me.

Let me know how I can be of help.

It was encouraging to operate more than 24 hours without interruptions. It would be beneficial to investigate the differences between "386.02_2-gnuton0_beta1" vs. very stable version of " 384.17_0-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.4.9" that may cause such interesting outages.

Thank you.
It would be interesting to see if anyone else on this firmware version is having the same problems or if it is only you. Maybe you can share a screenshot of your wan settings because there has been several changes between those versions. Particularly with the TTL settings or WAN MTU may not be set right for yours isp. For example the default WAN MTU for a cable modem is 1500, you may need to set yours to 1492 or 1452 for your dsl isp provider. Also settings on your QoS may not be set right as well.

Last edited: