What's new

Beta [FORK] [DSL] [TESTERS] GNUton's Alpha/Beta Merlin builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When outage occurs, internal LAN clients cannot connect to internet even though router shows connected, and many websites are pingable however, web pages do not open up. Speedtest fails on the firmware GUI. Example: My Laptop, my TV when watching YouTube channels, etc.
Also, my External remote NAS cannot connect to my local NAS, and vice versa.

@my_bey okay, thanks for clarifying. Then i have not got well the results of the previous tests.. which were showing that the DSL interface was connected to the internet during the "outage" .. :(
BTW, does it work correctly with the new stock firmware? was it working correctly with the old stock one too?

With the new stock firmware, I had an outage for 3 occasions, 1 of them turned out to be real ISP confirmed one like I stated above. ISP fixed the disconnection which lasted about 1 full day. After that, I had a couple more. on both occasions, on one I rebooted, on the second one, I used Apply button on Administration, DSL Settings page of the firmware. Rebooting takes about 3 minutes, the other method is about 30-40 seconds.

With the older version of stock firmware, I do not remember encountering this event.
With your version of 384.17_0-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.4.9 I never observed it. It was Very Stable.

I just checked and the latest stock firmware that you are using and it has the very same DSL drivers as my latest build.

If you are on stock firmware you can send feedback to ASUS about this issue. Try to be as much descriptive as possible BTW.
If you like, you could check again my 384 version and tell me what was the DSL firmware version which was working for you.
If you see that it still works withouth outages, then I will try to build a 386 image with that firmware driver just for you.

There will be times for me I will be away from my location for extended period of times so I will not have access to the modem to manually interact with it to reset, etc. Therefore,
I purchased this product "5Gstore Remote Power IP Switch UIS-622B":
Link: https://5gstore.com/product/8897_2_outlet_ip_switch.html
However, since the websites are still pingable during this outage event, this unit does not detect outage so it does not reboot my modem/router. This device uses ping method to detect internet disconnections. During the outage event, ping times increase from normal of less than 120 ms, to 999 ms.

I used ChkWAN.sh script as I mentioned before, It detected the outage and rebooted the router. It has both ping method and speed test method. I think it has some issues, sometimes it does not seem to be running because I did not see any activity on the log page. It takes long time like 20 minutes or more to reboot after detecting the event.

The very stable version for me was: DSL-AC68U_384.17_0-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.4.9. That version always reported low NVRAM available space, almost full, which seems to be fixed on later versions.

Instead of the chkwan you can just check with curl if you can connect to google for instance.
Something like this will restart the wan interface.

curl -s www.google.com > /dev/null && echo "all good" || $(ifconfig wan0 down; s
leep 5s; ifconfig wan0 up)

I am bulilding the latest 386 firmware with the old 1.0.4.9 DSL firmaware image which was in the 384 release.. I will send you the image once built.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. When outage occurred in the past, I tried to reset the wan interface, by using various methods, one from Firmware GUI, one from SSH command line service restart_wan. Restarting the wan interface did not fix the outage.

I tried:

curl -s www.google.com > /dev/null && echo "all good" || $(ifconfig wan0 down; sleep 5s; ifconfig wan0 up)

It responded "all good"

Last edited:
the above line restarts the wan0 interface in case there is an 'outage".
To check if the "outage" happens I let the modem check the connection to google.com.

BTW restarting ppp instead of wan interface is more correct.
curl -s www.google.com > /dev/null && echo "all good" || $(ifconfig ppp0 down; sleep 5s; ifconfig ppp0 up)

In any case, jut for you please try to flash this image:
This is the latest 386 asuswrt firmware but with the old 384 DSL (ver 1.0.4.9) firmware which worked great for you.
Please let me know how this works out.

I will try this firmware, not immediately but I want to wait a little for the outage to occur, if it will.

Thank you for your efforts. I will let you know how this will work.

While this is the plan for now, I would like to keep in my arsenal your suggested ppp restart script that can be executed, say every xx minutes with a cron job. Could you please guide me how I can accomplish that?

Last edited:
386.02_6-gnuton0_alpha2 is now available for testing.
Please let me know if client count in the main page is zero and if AiMesh works.
I switched to alpha2 and the 5ghz wireless was disconnected, this happened three times, but the problem of getting ip and AiMesh seems to be solved.

I will try this firmware, not immediately but I want to wait a little for the outage to occur, if it will.

While this is the plan for now, I would like to keep in my arsenal your suggested ppp restart script that can be executed, say every xx minutes with a cron job. Could you please guide me how I can accomplish that?
You can use this to generate your cronjob https://crontab.guru/

No, I went back to Mr. 386.02_4 in the previous case and now I have referred to Alpha 2. Do I have to do this for you?
no please do not reset to factory. Thanks a lot for testing! :D
I will double check the 5 Ghz now. do you really think the instability is due to the new firmware?
i have not noticed that but i will try check that out.

no please do not reset to factory. Thanks a lot for testing! :D
I will double check the 5 Ghz now. do you really think the instability is due to the new firmware?
i have not noticed that but i will try check that out.
Everything looks good. When you enter the settings you go to wireless, then Site Survey and 5 GHz disappears.

This morning, after waking up, I realized I had another outage problem with the Asus stock firmware. I filled out the feedback form and reported the issue to them. Here is my explanation of problem to them.

"I have Asus DSL-AC-68U with Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_43252.

Almost every other day, I experience internet disconnection. When this disconnection event occurs (Internet outage), all LAN clients cannot access the internet, my Laptop, You tube videos stops playing from Smart TVs, cell phones etc.. It feels like the internet speed is throttled to close to a few kb/sec allowing the ping to work but not allowing the web pages to work normally. My normal DSL speed is 23 Mbps down/5.8 Mbps up.

On the WAN status page of the Firmware GUI, Internet status shows connected. DSL status shows activity both ways. When I use the ping tool on the Network Tools page of the GUI, I am able to ping Google, Yahoo, etc. I am also able to ping www.google.com from my laptop. However, no connection to websites from the Laptop’s Chrome browser is possible during the outage.

Internet Speed test available on the GUI of the firmware fails with a warning message: “Notice, Failed to complete the internet speed test. Please check Internet status at NETWORK MAP for more information and try again later.”

Rebooting solves the internet disconnection problem. It takes about 3 minutes for the reboot to complete. Also, going to the Administration, DSL Settings of the GUI, then pressing “Apply” button solves the problem after 30-40 seconds. I usually perform this.

You can find more information on this problem on this Forum (my username is my_bey): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/f...lin-builds-for-dsl-routers.71150/#post-682903

I was using GNUton firmware, after I started to experience this outage problem, I switched back to Asus stock firmware. I am still experiencing the same problem.

Best regards
."

Thanks for that. When outage occurred in the past, I tried to reset the wan interface, by using various methods, one from Firmware GUI, one from SSH command line service restart_wan. Restarting the wan interface did not fix the outage.

I tried:

curl -s www.google.com > /dev/null && echo "all good" || $(ifconfig wan0 down; sleep 5s; ifconfig wan0 up)

It responded "all good"
FEEDBACK: During this morning's outage event, I tried the above curl from the SSH client. It took quite long time, something like more than 60 seconds, to return "all good" but outage was not fixed and continued. I believe, after that pings started to fail. I had to reboot.

FEEDBACK: During this morning's outage event, I tried the above curl from the SSH client. It took quite long time, something like more than 60 seconds, to return "all good" but outage was not fixed and continued. I believe, after that pings started to fail. I had to reboot.
if that worked out, the internet connection is there for you but it gets really really slow or you lose packets.
I am not 100% this is a pure software issue.

Things you should try is:
1. different modem
2. check there is no noise when the outage happens
3. check previous firmware 384 or the 386 image that I built with old DSL
4. internet may get slow because for some reasons routing tables are messed up (you can test this be running route -n when it works and there is an outage)

BtW I believe you could get much better and wider support from this forum if you create a thread about this issue, since it gets offtopic now (not related to my firmware).