What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.0 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone had a problem where the Customize page in QoS doesn't show the new Work From Home buttons etc? Only shows the default ones I had before. Though debugging shows they are there.
What firmware version and router? If your firmware version hasn't implemented the new categories yet, FlexQoS still substitutes VoIP with Work-From-Home. debug output does the same thing.

Does anyone know what the mark for WiFi calling is by any chance trying to get a custom rule set for Optus WiFi calling, it's getting picked up as work from home but untracked.

Local port 44410
Remote IP 210.49.47.194
Remote port 4500

If I remember correctly it used to be tracked as WiFi calling before not sure what changed.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the mark for WiFi calling is by any chance trying to get a custom rule set for Optus WiFi calling, it's getting picked up as work from home but untracked.

Local port 44410
Remote IP 210.49.47.194
Remote port 4500

If I remember correctly it used to be tracked as WiFi calling before not sure what changed.
I can try and check later this afternoon if you can wait that long.

Local port 44410
Remote IP 210.49.47.194
Remote port 4500

Maybe you had set a custom Rule name before with FreshJR? If not and it’s Untracked, then the Trend Micro engine no longer recognizes the traffic by default.

Same happens with me. I think the problem is with TrendMicro - they can't properly cathegorize steam downloads on some steam servers.
In my case, I'm using Spain/Portugal steam server. Maybe if I change to another one (on steam settings), it'll be properly cathegorized as game downloads...

I think the problem is with TrendMicro database and not with FlexQoS
Classification of traffic is difficult if it hides behind encryption (port 443). Then TrendMicro relies on the identification of the server IP address. Same applies to VPN traffic.

Classification of traffic is difficult if it hides behind encryption (port 443). Then TrendMicro relies on the identification of the server IP address. Same applies to VPN traffic.
Correct, sir.

Local port 44410
Remote IP 210.49.47.194
Remote port 4500

Looks like....Mark: 000000
1597366204471.png

Maybe you had set a custom Rule name before with FreshJR? If not and it’s Untracked, then the Trend Micro engine no longer recognizes the traffic by default.
never used custom rules before on the freshjr script, could be the broken trend micro update

Hi guys...

I'm a very newbie here and after David guidance ( Thx David ;) ) I have installed FlexQos. Now its working.
I need your support and patience to answer to my specific needs even they are foolish maybe for you.
I try to solve myself reading all post from here ( page 50 ) and I try to make my own priorities for all activities - GAMING / Streaming / File transfer / voip / Web surf etc ... not in this particular order.
I want to validate or invalidate and to guide me to create a proper prioritize rules for my devices an behind them my family. And for that I have all respect for you guys...:)

I have specific questions with attach screens to make things clear for me and everybody who try to respond.

1. My son play Fortnite and I found in ASUS RT-86U some special port forwarding rule to make this game to play smooth. My question here is if the port forwarding who is selected in OPEN NAT tab already activate those ports in ASUS router or is need my special activation action to put in the real port forwarding rules in ASUS WAN - VIRTUAL server / Port Forwarding section ( see attaches )
2. I make my own priorities in ADAPTIVE Qos and I saw in the Flex traffic the Learn from Home in FLEXQos is GAME Transferring .... Does mean the GAME Transfterring is treat as the last and low priority ??? ( see attach )
3 The last but the most important ... question ... how to put my devices into place to work perfect for my needs.
I have 6 devices , all wired with static IP's who are assigned to specific needs in this particular order.
  1. GAMING or GAME Transferring or both for prioritize Gaming???
  2. VIDEO STREAMING
  3. FILE TRANSFERRING
  4. WEB SURFING
  5. WORK FROM HOME
  6. OTHERS
Also I don't know if in the Iptable rules is important the order - first at me now is 1) work from home 2) bittorent - file transfer and so on ( see attach ). Now is different form my Adaptive Qos table. Maybe this means something, the order in this Iptable correlated with Adaptive / Flex table or maybe MARK is the rulemaker ... I don't know ...

Another issue for me how to put those ports for FORTNITE PC - 5222,5795-5847 in the same rule and if need to be in GAMING and also in GAME Transferring rule ??? or only in one rule ?
What is work for me is to guide simple to understand how to put things in place .... if the attachments are pretty clear for you and mean more that my limited knowledge in this area. You can make reference to number assigned by me ( 1/2 /3 / 4 etc ) on Iptable to move up or down or delete ... I don't know who to put things together to be understandable to everybody and also to came back with perfect feedback for my specific needs.

Thank you all in advance
Best
Cristake

Attachments

• Fortnite ASUS forward ports.jpg
    Fortnite ASUS forward ports.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 125
  • port forwarding ASUS.jpg
    port forwarding ASUS.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Priorities Adaptive QOSjpg.jpg
    Priorities Adaptive QOSjpg.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 130
  • ip table rules - FLEX.jpg
    ip table rules - FLEX.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Hi guys...

I'm a very newbie here and after David guidance ( Thx David ;) ) I have installed FlexQos. Now its working.
I need your support and patience to answer to my specific needs even they are foolish maybe for you.
I try to solve myself reading all post from here ( page 50 ) and I try to make my own priorities for all activities - GAMING / Streaming / File transfer / voip / Web surf etc ... not in this particular order.
I want to validate or invalidate and to guide me to create a proper prioritize rules for my devices an behind them my family. And for that I have all respect for you guys...:)

I have specific questions with attach screens to make things clear for me and everybody who try to respond.

1. My son play Fortnite and I found in ASUS RT-86U some special port forwarding rule to make this game to play smooth. My question here is if the port forwarding who is selected in OPEN NAT tab already activate those ports in ASUS router or is need my special activation action to put in the real port forwarding rules in ASUS WAN - VIRTUAL server / Port Forwarding section ( see attaches )
2. I make my own priorities in ADAPTIVE Qos and I saw in the Flex traffic the Learn from Home in FLEXQos is GAME Transfering .... Does mean the GAME Transfering is treat as the last and low priority ??? ( see atach )
3 The last but the most important ... question ... how to put my devices into place to work perfect for my needs. I have 6 devices , all wired with static IP's who are assigned to specific needs in this particular order.
  1. GAMING or GAME Transfering or both for prioritize Gaming???
  2. VIDEO STREAMING
  3. FILE TRANSFERING
  4. WEB SURFING
  5. WORK FROM HOME
  6. OTHERS
Also I don't know if in the iptable rules is important the order - first at me now is 1) work from home 2) bittorent - file transfer and so on ( see attach )
Another issue for me how to put those ports for FORTNITE PC - 5222,5795-5847 in the same rule and if need to be in GAMING and also in GAME Transfering rule ???

What is work for me is to guide simple to understand how to put things in place .... if the attachments are pretty clear for you and mean more that my limited knowledge in this area.

Thank you all in advance
Best
Cristake
Don't port forwarding just use full cone Nat option under wan that's what I use, also fortnite seems to be classified as gaming last time I checked I play the game myself.

Hi Vexira

What you say, is to keep OPEN NAT option active like already do and isn't necessary to reactivate port forward under WAN tab - virtual / port forwarding.
I repeat because I want to be sure.
Thx

Attachments

• Fortnite ASUS forward ports.jpg
    Fortnite ASUS forward ports.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 107
Hi Vexira

What you say, is to keep OPEN NAT option active like already do and isn't necessary to reactivate port forward under WAN tab - virtual / port forwarding.
I repeat because I want to be sure.
Thx
What I'm saying is the open Nat option is a pre set port forwarding, don't use it instead, go to the wan tab and look for the option that says symmetric click on it and choose the option full cone then click apply at the bottom of the page.

Also I don't know if in the Iptable rules is important the order - first at me now is 1) work from home 2) bittorent - file transfer and so on ( see attach ). Now is different form my Adaptive Qos table. Maybe this means something, the order in this Iptable correlated with Adaptive / Flex table or maybe MARK is the rulemaker ... I don't know ...

Another issue for me how to put those ports for FORTNITE PC - 5222,5795-5847 in the same rule and if need to be in GAMING and also in GAME Transferring rule ??? or only in one rule ?
What is work for me is to guide simple to understand how to put things in place .... if the attachments are pretty clear for you and mean more that my limited knowledge in this area. You can make reference to number assigned by me ( 1/2 /3 / 4 etc ) on Iptable to move up or down or delete ... I don't know who to put things together to be understandable to everybody and also to came back with perfect feedback for my specific needs.
I don't play games so I'll defer to others to answer the game-specific questions.

Your iptables rules have flaws because you are also including a Mark filter and in most cases, assigning the traffic to the default Category for that Mark. For example, any traffic Marked 08005A will already be prioritized to the Gaming priority, so there is no benefit to having an iptables rule for that.
Bash:
# flexqos appdb fortnite
Fortnite
Originally:  Gaming
Mark:        08005A
If you are trying to direct Untracked traffic into the Gaming category, then the Mark should be 000000 in the iptables rules (Untracked = Mark 000000).

If multiple iptables rules match a connection, the last one in the list will decide the priority.

I don't play games so I'll defer to others to answer the game-specific questions.

Fair enough DAVE .. Thx you for all advices ...It's gold for me ... What try to understand is how it work ...all Flex

Your iptables rules have flaws because you are also including a Mark filter and in most cases, assigning the traffic to the default Category for that Mark. For example, any traffic Marked 08005A will already be prioritized to the Gaming priority, so there is no benefit to having an iptables rule for that.

Please tell me what could eliminate or is useless ( redundancy maybe ) in my iptable or is necessary to put MARK or not ... the order on iptable is must or is done by the match between rule / mark and I don't know. For me MARK 08005A is only for FORTNITE game ... so far but could be applied only for one IP or to multimple IP's ( also for PS4 as example ) to be in same category - GAMING.

I have only one PC who play only one game, the other PC and devices are setup to do only one thing in general. Exception is only one PS4 who should be treated as GAMING like the other PC ( I have surprise myself play some GOD 5 / Uncharted / Dishonered / Gran Turismo and few others ;) )

What I try is to assign each one a "rule" to be sure all devices can run in the same time with excellent results assigned with my ISP speed.
By the way ... My original speed was 470 - 480 mbps and now barelly have 300-320 mbps max BUT when few devices are active they can do a decent - good job without interfere each other like in the past when one device came in place the other suffer in terms of speed and "fluidity" if you know what I mean.

Big problem try to solve also is the latency ... In speed test latency is 8-10ms but in my son game was 50-60ms ... Sometimes he go in the middle of the night to play in special GAME hall, this game, were latency is no more then 15-20ms ... and I try to solve the latency problem to be at home with all covid problems in the city, who are not negligible at all here.

I know the simple solution should be a separate ISP fiber PPPOE line with 500mbps - 1000mbps but for long term is more expensive for me to keep 2 ISP on the house.

Thank you again DAVE
I'm here for anyone who have solutions or ideas
Cristake

Last edited:
What firmware version and router? If your firmware version hasn't implemented the new categories yet, FlexQoS still substitutes VoIP with Work-From-Home. debug output does the same thing.

That was the issue thanks!

Is there a recommended (apart from learn from home being under video streaming) order? I was using FreshJR recommended and worked perfectly for me.

Thanks!

What I'm saying is the open Nat option is a pre set port forwarding, don't use it instead, go to the wan tab and look for the option that says symmetric click on it and choose the option full cone then click apply at the bottom of the page.
I wonder if UPnP is basically equivalent with full cone except that UPnP is dynamic and full cone applies to all clients and connections?
Are the results the same from a gaming perspective?

wonder if UPnP is basically equivalent with full cone except that UPnP is dynamic and full cone applies to all clients and connections?
Are the results the same from a gaming perspective?

For my point of view , I don't test the 2 contenders in gaming in my house to see some improvement, THE PC and PS4 - same game for instance.
What I read the fullcone settings is better for device who is active online gaming in the same time. Maybe I understood wrong.
But
I saw some little improvements in latency is a little better but not dramatic. What I discuss with some people around my area is they have fiber ISP with 300 mbps or 1000 mbps and the latency is much better than me ( almost half ), who I have DOCSIS Cable ISP. I have in mind to switch to Fiber because here 1000 mbps / month is 10 usd ... and I pay the same amount for cable and half speed ( 500mbps ).

For my point of view , I don't test the 2 contenders in gaming in my house to see some improvement, THE PC and PS4 - same game for instance.
What I read the fullcone settings is better for device who is active online gaming in the same time. Maybe I understood wrong.
But
I saw some little improvements in latency is a little better but not dramatic. What I discuss with some people around my area is they have fiber ISP with 300 mbps or 1000 mbps and the latency is much better than me ( almost half ), who I have DOCSIS Cable ISP. I have in mind to switch to Fiber because here 1000 mbps / month is 10 usd ... and I pay the same amount for cable and half speed ( 500mbps ).
The ISP might make the difference for latency. Once you configured Adaptive QoS with FlexQoS, you should try this http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and look at buffer bloat.
Have your neighbors test this as well and compare.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!