What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.0 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't understand how this works for you. The AppDB section is meant to redirect application traffic that Adaptive QoS identifies and send it to a different Class and priority level than its default. 512512 isn't valid, so it's not going to work for you as expected.

Oh I see. Just trying haha. Anyways I am gonna put it on iptables rules by the end. Anyways thanks for the response. Would be nice if this script is included in amtm hehe

Oh I see. Just trying haha. Anyways I am gonna put it on iptables rules by the end. Anyways thanks for the response. Would be nice if this script is included in amtm hehe
The intention is to publish in amtm once I'm ready to declare version 1.0 ready for the world. I'm getting close, but I am also going to delay it for a planned holiday next week.

Version 0.9.4
  • NEW: Added "flexqos restart" option (restarts qos and firewall)
  • NEW: Reapply custom rules after Trend Signature check which wipes out QoS rules even if no updates
  • NEW: Added duplicate and empty iptables rule detection when adding/changing rules
  • FIXED: Tweaks to date format and debug info (from @maghuro)
  • FIXED: Handle invalid menu selections in CLI
  • FIXED: IP formatting when starting IP/CIDR with ! (e.g. !192 would become !19.2)
  • FIXED: Made 3:30 AM cronjob persistent across reboots (@Matthew Patrick)
Code:
sh /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh update
Can you elaborate cidr notation a lil more
Now how we are supposed to enter cidr ip ?

Just a reminder that even though I don't have a solution for custom-rule naming, you can still confirm how your traffic is being prioritized by hovering over the Application name in the connection list (assuming you can't see both the pie chart labels and your connection at the same time).

upload_2020-7-14_15-5-16.png

Can you elaborate cidr notation a lil more
Now how we are supposed to enter cidr ip ?
You still enter it the same way as always, but with the new interface it will do some auto-formatting as you type. For example, to enter "192.168.100.1" you can just type "1921681001" and it will put the dots in for you. Also, you can type ! at any place in the IP/CIDR field and it will add the ! to the beginning of the IP (type "1921681001!" and it should format to "!192.168.100.1").

EDIT: this auto-formatting was part of the stock tableApi code, but I added extra code for the ! negation.

Just a reminder that even though I don't have a solution for custom-rule naming, you can still confirm how your traffic is being prioritized by hovering over the Application name in the connection list (assuming you can't see both the pie chart labels and your connection at the same time).

View attachment 24692

Also sorry if this has been explained before but I don't understand why I need to put learn from home below video and audio streaming. It's still on work yeah? Thanks!

Also sorry if this has been explained before but I don't understand why I need to put learn from home below video and audio streaming. It's still on work yeah? Thanks!
Learn-From-Home only contains application categories 04 and 13 that are already part of Streaming and Web Surfing, so there is nothing unique about it. Since both Learn-From-Home and Streaming contain category 04, it makes it hard to know which is Streaming and which is Learn-From-Home when reading the user's QoS priorities. So the script assumes that the first priority level containing category 04 is Streaming, and the second one is Learn-From-Home (which we use as Game Downloads). It's a kludge until Asus figures out if they're going to make Learn-From-Home uniquely meaningful in the future.

Learn-From-Home only contains application categories 04 and 13 that are already part of Streaming and Web Surfing, so there is nothing unique about it. Since both Learn-From-Home and Streaming contain category 04, it makes it hard to know which is Streaming and which is Learn-From-Home when reading the user's QoS priorities. So the script assumes that the first priority level containing category 04 is Streaming, and the second one is Learn-From-Home (which we use as Game Downloads). It's a kludge until Asus figures out if they're going to make Learn-From-Home uniquely meaningful in the future.
Ahh I get it now. Okay then . Thanks for the explanation.

@dave14305 I just found a bug when installing FlexQoS and there is a backup present.
After the restore prompt, it'll prompt for restart - and then, the installer itself will prompt again for restart. Just pulled a fix.

Also, I pulled kind of a fancy updater with xmas lights and blinking stuff right on the menu :p

Is this normal?

Yes, Dave says that there are 2 classification tabs for now as Flex is still under frequent/heavy development, and to keep apprised of the mainline changes to the Classification tab in Asuswrt-Merlin.

Hey all, not sure if this is a bug or I'm just misinterpreting the data, but it looks like the statistics under qos classification is very under-accounted. I tested by streaming some videos on my computer. Under bandwidth monitor, it shows reasonable traffic activity. Under classification however, it shows no activity under the rate column, and the values under the total column seems very very low. After 10 minutes of streaming, it looks something like this (the screenshot was taken with the stock adaptive qos, but the issue occurs on both freshJR and flex):
5XZNSBx.png

The download stats shows barely anything and somehow the upload stats is showing way more traffic. Is this expected or is it missing a lot of traffic?
I'm running 384.18 on a RT-AX58u.
Any help would be appreciated!

Hey all, not sure if this is a bug or I'm just misinterpreting the data, but it looks like the statistics under qos classification is very under-accounted. I tested by streaming some videos on my computer. Under bandwidth monitor, it shows reasonable traffic activity. Under classification however, it shows no activity under the rate column, and the values under the total column seems very very low. After 10 minutes of streaming, it looks something like this (the screenshot was taken with the stock adaptive qos, but the issue occurs on both freshJR and flex):

The download stats shows barely anything and somehow the upload stats is showing way more traffic. Is this expected or is it missing a lot of traffic?
I'm running 384.18 on a RT-AX58u.
Any help would be appreciated!

Did you "apply" any changes to Flex or QOS in general? That would have wiped the stats since the QOS restart. The "Rate" and "Packet Rate" will only show traffic as it occurs (well, within 3-ish seconds), so you would have had to streaming at the time you took the screenshot for it show much.

Did you "apply" any changes to Flex or QOS in general? That would have wiped the stats since the QOS restart. The "Rate" and "Packet Rate" will only show traffic as it occurs (well, within 3-ish seconds), so you would have had to streaming at the time you took the screenshot for it show much.

Nah I was testing with vanilla FreshJR and Flex with no modifications. I set my adaptive QOS settings as suggested by the FreshJR thread (manual bandwidth, fq_codel, etc.). For my test I basically started streaming YT/Netflix and stared at the classification stats. Even after several minutes and numerous page refreshes the stats barely changed. I don't think YT has some insane video compression technology that compresses several minutes of HD video into 1MB ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah I was testing with vanilla FreshJR and Flex with no modifications. I set my adaptive QOS settings as suggested by the FreshJR thread (manual bandwidth, fq_codel, etc.). For my test I basically started streaming YT/Netflix and stared at the classification stats. Even after several minutes and numerous page refreshes the stats barely changed. I don't think YT has some insane video compression technology that compresses several minutes of HD video into 1MB ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You have definitely identified a hiccup ... my "Classification" Tab shows activity in the "Rate" column - but the "FlexQos" Tab does not - just 0's in that column. However Totals and Packet Rate Columns show same data whether on Classification Tab or FlexQos Tab..

You have definitely identified a hiccup ... my "Classification" Tab shows activity in the "Rate" column - but the "FlexQos" Tab does not - just 0's in that column. However Totals and Packet Rate Columns show same data whether on Classification Tab or FlexQos Tab..
Is it enough bits to equal a KB? Or is it being rounded down to 0?

You also need to restart the router to get the full effect of QoS. It tries, but pre-existing connections and other random things end up being unaccounted for. Best experience I've had with Asus routers is always restarting them after enabling or disabling QoS even if it should work fine without doing it.

For me both of them show the same wildly low total count. Following Bensam123's advice I rebooted my router and started streaming a youtube video. Under the tracked connections list I see a bunch of youtube connections, but after a few minutes and refreshing the page several times, the statistics at the top are all zero, for every class.

I've been swapping between FlexQoS and cake-QoS a bit recently but also saw that the Classification Tab showed much more activity than the FlexQoS tab. I confess to not investigating further after thinking it was strange.

You also need to restart the router to get the full effect of QoS. It tries, but pre-existing connections and other random things end up being unaccounted for. Best experience I've had with Asus routers is always restarting them after enabling or disabling QoS even if it should work fine without doing it.
This has been a major bugbear for me on any QoS (except cake), but particularly with FreshJR as the startup delay that was built-in made the issue worse. I have a number of devices which connect and keep transmitting - some are 4k cloud CCTV cameras which generate quite a lot of upload traffic but unless I power them down and back up the traffic isn't usually tracked in QoS. This causes me issues with upload bandwidth contention and therefore bufferbloat and the main reason I've been looking at cake which unfortunately doesn't prioritise traffic.

If a way around this could be found to force all existing connections to be included (force disconnect them so they reconnect??) this would be a big improvement.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!