What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.0 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also if I remember correctly someone said that Facebook messnger is not being detected as work from home (VoIP) has that been fixed or is there some rules some one has to fix it if not?

I remember that FreshJR used to be supported on Asus stock firmware. Would FlexQoS also be useable on stock firmware as I could install the very latest version on my RT-AX88U and see if that fixes anything as there have been some changes around the WAN code?

I remember that FreshJR used to be supported on Asus stock firmware. Would FlexQoS also be useable on stock firmware as I could install the very latest version on my RT-AX88U and see if that fixes anything as there have been some changes around the WAN code?
No, it’s explicitly not supported due to the dependence on the Merlin Addon API for settings and web page handling.

But the AX88U tests being done don’t require the script at all. It’s just testing stock behavior of Adaptive QoS if that’s what you’re asking about.

I’d start with stock v9107 to match what’s merged in 384.19b2, test, then upgrade to latest stock and test again.

No, it’s explicitly not supported due to the dependence on the Merlin Addon API for settings and web page handling.

But the AX88U tests being done don’t require the script at all. It’s just testing stock behavior of Adaptive QoS if that’s what you’re asking about.

I’d start with stock v9107 to match what’s merged in 384.19b2, test, then upgrade to latest stock and test again.
OK will try to find a time when the family won't lynch me

It’s just a matter of ensuring the tc filters are cleared if you’re changing the priority of an existing AppDB rule. I’m happy I don’t see this behavior on the AC68U, but I’m unclear on the side-effects of the current AX88U build.
Dave, could you please include this issue with the AX88 in your FlexQoS release notes? And maybe mention the work-around to reboot after any change to the FlexQoS rules are done in the GUI?

Thank you for debugging this :)

hello @dave14305
is it possible to consider assigning less than 5% to some classes?

1597077321222.png

also, when creating a new policy, is it possible to include an ip range under Local IP/CIDR ? for example if i want a policy for local devices 10.0.0.20 to 10.0.0.24

Last edited:
hello @dave14305
is it possible to consider assigning less than 5% to some classes?

View attachment 25307

also, when creating a new policy, is it possible to include an ip range under Local IP/CIDR ? for example if i want a policy for local devices 10.0.0.20 to 10.0.0.24
A 5% minimum comes from FreshJR. I don’t know if there was a mathematical reason for 5%, but 0% will not be allowed.

To specify a range, learn how to calculate CIDR blocks. 10.0.0.20/30 will result in a range of .20-.23. Search for CIDR Calculator.

A 5% minimum comes from FreshJR. I don’t know if there was a mathematical reason for 5%, but 0% will not be allowed.

To specify a range, learn how to calculate CIDR blocks. 10.0.0.20/30 will result in a range of .20-.23. Search for CIDR Calculator.
thanks for the CIDR option. will calculate.

Regarding the minimum %, not even 1% o_O

I just installed 1.0.0, and it seems to be OK, but it looks like Netflix is mischaracterized as Game Transferring, not A/V Streaming. How can I fix that?

Also, what is included in Work from Home and Learn from Home? Those are really nebulous.

Also you have given me a line for Zoom. Does that still apply in 1.0.0? When I did it last time, it completely hosed my U86, so that I had to do a nuclear reset and reload of Merlin and the scripts. But I was running 384.16 at the time, so I'm thinking that was the problem. I now have 384.18.

Also, I have a SIP. What category is that in?

Hasn't seen anyone post results for an RT-AX3000 so decided to test. Oh dear, rather larger result than expected of 663 (admittedly I had tweaked and restarted flexqos numerous times in days leading up to to running below without reboot)

Bash:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX58U 384.19_beta1 Sun Aug  2 22:50:18 UTC 2020   
$ flexqos restart; sleep 60; tc filter show dev br0 | grep -c flowid    
Restarting QoS and Firewall...                     
Done.                
that's with about a week uptime. Rebooted and it dropped to 41. Ran service restart_qos, waited 60s, and it jumped to 123. So not just the AX88...

Edit.. send to go up 41 every time QoS restarts
Bash:
~$ service restart_qos; sleep 60; tc filter show dev br0 | grep -c flowid  
Done.                                 
Done.   
Done.                                 

Last edited:
I just installed 1.0.0, and it seems to be OK, but it looks like Netflix is mischaracterized as Game Transferring, not A/V Streaming. How can I fix that?
Also, what is included in Work from Home and Learn from Home? Those are really nebulous.
Work-From-Home is the old VoIP and IM category. Learn-From-Home is currently a poorly implemented category that duplicates Streaming and part of Web Surfing, so it’s mostly useless for now.

Your Streaming is showing up as Game Transferring because you have Learn-From-Home at a higher priority than Streaming. This confuses the script since there are 2 streaming priorities. The first one is assumed to be Streaming by the script.
Also you have given me a line for Zoom. Does that still apply in 1.0.0? When I did it last time, it completely hosed my U86, so that I had to do a nuclear reset and reload of Merlin and the scripts. But I was running 384.16 at the time, so I'm thinking that was the problem. I now have 384.18.
There’s no technical reason for the experience you describe from applying an iptables rule, but I don’t doubt you suffered all the same. If you see unmarked udp connections during a zoom call, then I would still apply the zoom rule (which I added to a table in post #2).

Hasn't seen anyone post results for an RT-AX3000 so decided to test. Oh dear, rather larger result than expected of 663 (admittedly I had tweaked and restarted flexqos numerous times in days leading up to to running below without reboot)

Bash:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX58U 384.19_beta1 Sun Aug  2 22:50:18 UTC 2020  
$ flexqos restart; sleep 60; tc filter show dev br0 | grep -c flowid   
Restarting QoS and Firewall...                    
Done.               
that's with about a week uptime. Rebooted and it dropped to 41. Ran service restart_qos, waited 60s, and it jumped to 123. So not just the AX88...

Edit.. send to go up 41 every time QoS restarts
Bash:
Done.                                
Done.  
Done.                                
It’s a sad but reaffirming data point that the Asus components are hosed on the ax branch. My only hope is that once the GPLs equalize, a harmonized build will emerge. Which is why I’d be keen to hear from ax users who temporarily revert to stock to see if a published stock firmware fixes this behavior. Otherwise it could be a long wait.

Congrats on Version 1, great work Dave!

I'm sorry @dave14305 I haven't been following much lately. Is this script somewhat crippled on the AX88U for some Asus reason?

I'm sorry @dave14305 I haven't been following much lately. Is this script somewhat crippled on the AX88U for some Asus reason?
It should work cleanly after a reboot. If you don’t change rules often, I think it still
works fine. But rules don’t seem to get reset during a QoS restart (stock) so they replicate like Tribbles over time. So if you change an existing AppDB rule, it might still stick to the old rule behavior.

To amend my previous reply, the current logic behind the nightly “check” won‘t find anything to do if you have more than 40 tc filter rules present. It will always assume everything is setup correctly. I don’t have a way to confirm these scenarios personally, but there is likely to be weirdness at some point.

Your Streaming is showing up as Game Transferring because you have Learn-From-Home at a higher priority than Streaming. This confuses the script since there are 2 streaming priorities. The first one is assumed to be Streaming by the script.
This is what I had under FreshJr, where SIP and other VOIP traffic was higher priority than streaming a/v traffic. I created custom rules for the SIP local ports to use the Work From Home category, and another for a/v including Netflix to go to Streaming, believing they are last in the list IP list and therefore will be handled the way I want. I also added the Zoom line to the WFH category, and this time, it did not nuke the router. I'm now anxious to do a Zoom call to see if I get stuttering or if that problem is now fixed. BTW, Skype, WebEx, and other video call, and of course, WiFi calling, should all also go in the WFH category.

Last edited:

Everything had to add up to 100% bandwidth available.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!