What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.0 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gmail traffic from VPN client is correctly identified, but is categorized as Work-from-home.

iNqoGdm.png

I don't see a rule that would do such a thing. I thought FlexQoS showed all the rules, including built-in. Am I misunderstanding?

MUk2gfD.png
Gmail is Work-From-Home out-of-the-box.

Bash:
# flexqos appdb gmail
Gmail
 Originally:  Work-From-Home
 Mark:        05005F

Gmail is Work-From-Home out-of-the-box.

Bash:
# flexqos appdb gmail
Gmail
Originally:  Work-From-Home
Mark:        05005F
Thank you. That confirms that the "Customize" doesn't show all the built-in rules. Is there a way to list all of the built-in rules and edit them if desired?

Thank you. That confirms that the "Customize" doesn't show all the built-in rules. Is there a way to list all of the built-in rules and edit them if desired?
There are 1576 built-in rules in the ASUS firmware as of today (Gmail is one of them). The Customize button will only show the rules that the FlexQoS script delivers by default, or rules you've added. If you want to search for application names in the firmware built-in rules, use the flexqos appdb gmail syntax to search for existing marks needed to create AppDB rules.

There are 1576 built-in rules in the ASUS firmware as of today (Gmail is one of them). The Customize button will only show the rules that the FlexQoS script delivers by default, or rules you've added. If you want to search for application names in the firmware built-in rules, use the flexqos appdb gmail syntax to search for existing marks needed to create AppDB rules.
Thanks. I was hoping for an exhaustive list. Is there a way to at least list all of the AppDB apps so I know what to search for to view the rules?

Thanks. I was hoping for an exhaustive list. Is there a way to at least list all of the AppDB apps so I know what to search for to view the rules?
I copied the code from flexqos.sh and removed the 25 limit. Now I can produce an exhaustive list. Thank you.

i'd been looking for this too :)

in that file, what do the 3 integers represent ?
The first number is the decimal equivalent of the category. The second number is the application. Convert each number into hexadecimal and concatenate them to get the Mark used in iptables and appdb rules. No idea what the significance of the third number (always 0) is supposed to represent. It's a messy business trying to make sense of it sometimes.

So using Gmail as an example:
Code:
5,95,0,Gmail
The 5 converts to 05 and the 95 converts to 005F. Put it all together and you get the Mark "05005F".

A one-liner to get all the Marks (without the default class) would be:
Bash:
awk -F, '{ printf "%s,%02X%04X\n", $4, $1, $2 }' /tmp/bwdpi/bwdpi.app.db | sort -f
I chose to make it comma delimited because I would import it into a spreadsheet if I was going to try to do anything "fun" with it.

The first number is the decimal equivalent of the category. The second number is the application. Convert each number into hexadecimal and concatenate them to get the Mark used in iptables and appdb rules. No idea what the significance of the third number (always 0) is supposed to represent. It's a messy business trying to make sense of it sometimes.
Yep. I'm trying to figure out how to directly edit the AppDB, but as soon as I restart qos my edits are overwritten. Hmmm.

Yep. I'm trying to figure out how to directly edit the AppDB, but as soon as I restart qos my edits are overwritten. Hmmm.
The source of the rules is /jffs/signature/rule.trf. /usr/sbin/tdts_rule_agent will read that rule.trf file and write the app.db file during every qos restart.

The source of the rules is /jffs/signature/rule.trf. /usr/sbin/tdts_rule_agent will read that rule.trf file and write the app.db file during every qos restart.
Thanks again. Of course it's binary of unknown format. :/

Can we assume that the "RULE.TRF" file contains some sort of TCP/UDP packet identifiers (?) which then gets mapped to app.db ---> therefore, Adaptive QoS can put two-and-two together and determine that a certain TCP packet is GMAIL, whereas another (differently marked) UDP packet is Netflix, and so on and so forth?

Hey guys, I recently installed FlexQoS to see if it would improve things and simply wanted to run it by those with more experience. My internet is 40/20 and I have set the upload and download speeds to 95% of that. At the same time, here's how I organized my priorities. Can anyone simply confirm if it all looks ok or make suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 9.59.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 9.59.08 AM.png
    349.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 9.59.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 9.59.32 AM.png
    282 KB · Views: 136
So, I want to set one computer as high priority over everything else on the network. I tried this rule before with the older outdated mod and it does the same thing (it doesn't matter what priority it's set to, it does the same thing). Slowly the router seems to get congested. It'll eventually start causing packet loss and increasing ping oscillations on the PC I'm setting the priority to. This happens over the course of days, it's not immediate. It goes back to normal when I remove the rule and reset the router.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 98
Hey guys, I recently installed FlexQoS to see if it would improve things and simply wanted to run it by those with more experience. My internet is 40/20 and I have set the upload and download speeds to 95% of that. At the same time, here's how I organized my priorities. Can anyone simply confirm if it all looks ok or make suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Looks OK. Just beware if your actual up/down speeds from your ISP vary. To have QoS functional smoothly all the time you'll have to set the limits to 90-95% of the slowest speed seen as a result of multiple speed tests. I have routers working on cable company internet that is supposed to be 400 mbps, but in the afternoon regularly drops to somewhere around 95 mbps. To keep their QoS working I have to set the speed to 90 mbps.

Reactions: #TY
So, I want to set one computer as high priority over everything else on the network. I tried this rule before with the older outdated mod and it does the same thing (it doesn't matter what priority it's set to, it does the same thing). Slowly the router seems to get congested. It'll eventually start causing packet loss and increasing ping oscillations on the PC I'm setting the priority to. This happens over the course of days, it's not immediate. It goes back to normal when I remove the rule and reset the router.
Sounds like your up/down speeds are set too high. If it were me I would try running spdMerlin for a couple of days (not for too long as it's a bandwidth hog) to see how stable my real up/down speeds were. Set your QoS speeds based on the lowest up/down speeds you see in those graphs.

If you do Netflix or some other online video streaming, you might want to put that higher in the list. I have mine just below Work-at-Home. I would not want wifey complaining her Netflix is breaking up while I'm surfing the web.

Reactions: #TY

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!