What's new

Fortinet Fortigate 40F for our small business?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

castlefox

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
Our current hardware is starting to act strange so I asked our IT guy recommend us replace our Edgewater hardware to a Fortinet Fortigate 40F.
Have anyone used this before? I cant find a lot of first hand knowledge user reviews for this. Anything to look up with the Fortigate 40F

We have 7 users (7 Voip phones) and 1 server.
4 remote users. 3 local users.

Depending on your use case, I don't think you'll have any issues with it. We just finished a POC with Fortigate. We're going to be replacing 3 datacenter and 7 remote branch offices with fortigate FW. The remote branches will get 40F while the datacenters will get 200F HA pair.

The 40F is plenty powerful, We tested site to site IPSEC VPN tunnel and was able to easily get gig throughput even when using the highest level of encryption.

Fortinets have horsepower to burn. Been running at work for years serving 10k+ nodes on multiple campuses. IPS/IDS is decent.

I setup a Cisco RV340 router with a Cisco L3 switch SG500X-24 and 19 IP phones. It worked great. Priority was assigned to voice traffic over data traffic. It was a real-estate office.

@castlefox - Questions about this class of gear are generally going to go well beyond most SNB users' heads. You may want to try reddit.com/r/networking instead, but, that being said, if an enterprise-class NGFW/UTM is truly what you need, Fortinet is generally regarded as the best bang-for-the-buck, while Palo Alto is slightly better, but more costly. If you have a Cisco tilt and want to try self-managing, take a look at Meraki, or if you have in-house or hired-out IT, perhaps a mid-tier ASA.

@coxhaus - An RV series SMB router is a far cry from a Fortinet-class device, especially if the OP needs true application-awareness (among other items). There's just no discussion to be had there. The better fit from Cisco would be either a Meraki MX-series gateway or an ASA (optionally with Firepower).

I was thinking along the line of the VoIP phones. There are only 7 which is small in my way of thinking so I was thinking small business networking equipment will be cheaper. If you want to go enterprise and spend the money so be it. Cisco makes nice enterprise networking equipment.

I found this which might be worth wild is the FG40F will integrate with Microsoft Active for device identification. You will still need to deal with your VoIP and QoS. I would not want my voice traffic on equal footing as my data traffic. You might want to look at the Cisco small business L3 switches as they have voice support. At least this is the way I would do it switch wise. I would use Cisco for the front door also but that is me.

Last edited:
Voice QoS is practically an irrelevant buying criteria on its own these days. It's been commoditized onboard basically every business-class gateway and managed switch, from any brand. And a layer 3 switch is outside the scope of this thread entirely; the OP isn't asking about one, nor does the inclusion of one help the selection of the best firewall solution for his needs.

@castlefox - If I can be of any further help in guiding you here, feel free to post back or PM me.

Voice QoS is practically an irrelevant buying criteria on its own these days. It's been commoditized onboard basically every business-class gateway and managed switch, from any brand. And a layer 3 switch is outside the scope of this thread entirely; the OP isn't asking about one, nor does the inclusion of one help the selection of the best firewall solution for his needs.

@castlefox - If I can be of any further help in guiding you here, feel free to post back or PM me.
Who knows what their current problem is? It could be related to QoS with voice. And it is even possible it is switch related.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!