What's new

Forum looks weird on iPad Pro 10.5" in portrait

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XIII

Very Senior Member
This forum looks weird on an iPad Pro 10.5" in portrait (left image), compared to my old iPad 4 (right image; the "ads" are on the bottom there):

IMG_1205.PNG IMG_4169.JPG

Can this be improved?

I assume that SNB's responsive design doesn't get triggered as being a mobile browser, either due to the larger size of the tablet, or the browser requesting the desktop version instead of the mobile version.

@thiggins , see if your theme allows you to select a minimal width for the desktop version, and if so, try enlarging it a bit (not sure what's the page width used by the iPad Pro 10.5" tho). I'd suggest trying a min width of 1024 for the desktop mode.

the iPad Pro 10.5 has a different screen resolution compared to the classic iPad Retinas...

2224*1668 <-- ipad Pro 10.5
2048*1536 <-- normal iPad Retina

I think the UserAgent at the moment still says iPad... the templates probably need to be updated.

This forum looks weird on an iPad Pro 10.5" in portrait (left image), compared to my old iPad 4 (right image; the "ads" are on the bottom there):

To help out - what happens in Landscape mode?

the iPad Pro 10.5 has a different screen resolution compared to the classic iPad Retinas...

2224*1668 <-- ipad Pro 10.5
2048*1536 <-- normal iPad Retina

I think the UserAgent at the moment still says iPad... the templates probably need to be updated.

Responsive designs tend to rely on the browser's width rather than user-agent tho. Give it a try on your desktop, reduce this window' width - when you get below a certain width, you will switch into "mobile" mode.

you should get a real tablet instead, not a low quality pretending to be real *cough* apple *cough* :p
The problem could just be the styling on this site or the elements being resolution dependent rather than screen space based. Real tablets use chrome, not safari.

Responsive designs tend to rely on the browser's width rather than user-agent tho. Give it a try on your desktop, reduce this window' width - when you get below a certain width, you will switch into "mobile" mode.

The new resolution on the iPad Pro 10.5 is just wide enough in portrait mode to trigger the behavior noted by @XIII - that difference of 132 pixels is enough for the sidebar to be displayed.

Not sure where a potential fix would be implemented - would be for the theme author to check the css and tweak if needed.

you should get a real tablet instead, not a low quality pretending to be real *cough* apple *cough* :p
The problem could just be the styling on this site or the elements being resolution dependent rather than screen space based. Real tablets use chrome, not safari.

Has nothing to do with Safari or Chrome - it's the screen size that is triggering the 'glitch', and can be reproduced with any browser.