What's new

Forwarding internal "shortcut" to internal IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ilyons

New Around Here
Hey guys,

My goal is the following: when users type a shortcut into the browser of their networked machine (in this case, "library"), the router forwards them to an internal IP (in this case 192.168.1.54, the IP of the library database server).

I had this set up before on another router, but am having a hard time on this one. If someone could point me in the right direction, or perhaps give me the correct terminology with which to search on Google, I'd be very grateful.

EDIT: Ah. The router I'm using is a DrayTek V3300, if anyone has any particular experience with it.

Thanks,
Ian

Well it sounds like you need to configure some sort of name resolution service like DNS. And maybe DHCP. so that clients while obtaining an IP will register their name with the router. Not sure how this will work if using static ip addresses. Or you can always use hosts files! :)

Hey bobo,

I recognize that an option would be to put the primary DNS as a local/private DNS server and the secondary as normal server like OpenDNS so that requests would first go to our server and, if the address isn't a "shortcut," would continue on to the next server normally.

I did run across the host files solution, but am working with 40+ fixed machines and another 120+ laptops, and have no desire to run through each one and modify the host file... I'm sure you can sympathize.

I'm trying to find an easier solution -- which I'm fairly confident exists -- because I don't have a local DNS server and have no real desire to set one up. I set something similar up about a year ago and it was simple, I just don't remember precisely how I did it.

Thanks!
Ian

ilyons,

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Also, what operating systems are running on the client and host/server machines? If they are Windows based, is there a domain involved? Workgroup? If so, are they in the same domain/workgroup? The "shortcuts" you mention may just be netbios names.

http://www.tech-faq.com/netbios-names.html