What's new

FQ_codel adaptive qos--blufferboat issue--gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beboptrumpet

Regular Contributor
iSB8200 docsis 3.1 modem / RT-AC87 --Merlin 380.67 / Comcast 150/20 usually tests at 180/25.

I've been experimenting with fq_codel adaptive qos. When I set it for automatic rates, I get the same results as if wow is turned off--regardless of where I set the wan packet overhead. My thuroughput is fine, but I get a blufferboat of 200+ ms. It just doesn't seem to do anything. i lose a little speed with the default wan packet overhead; but it comes back up to normal as I approach 30.

It seems to help When I manually set my connection speed (I've tried values from 100 to 5000 for download), but it limits my LAN to WAN thurouput to 25Mb/s with no (<10) blufferboat--(also, I've tried a number of wan packet overhead values.) Upstream tests as expected, but my download thurouput drops far more than I would expect based on what I've read about fq_codel

I play FPS console games...mostly cod all the time--I can feel it when others are streaming. I have a much better & more consistent experience when I turn on fqcodel and manually set my bandwidthwith, especially when others are streaming.

Is it normal that setting my own bandwidth would limit my LAN-to-WAN downlink so much...I'm fine with a trading it limiting total thurouput for a better gaming experience, I could even deal with it being cut in half, but going from 180 to 25 seems extreme and setting it to auto seems to yield the same result as turning qos off.

For now, the gaming results while other are streaming are good enough that im accepting it letting everyone else deal with a lower quality stream. Just giving real world feedback and wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions on what I might do to use more of my available bandwidth & keep enjoying the benefits of this QOS. From what I've read, it is capable of much higher thuroughput.

Several posts have said automatic qos uses 10 up and down. I have found that adaptive qos works with IPV6 turned off. Also am using the freshjr mod script for qos.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Several posts have said automatic qos uses 10 up and down. I have found that adaptive qos works with IPV6 turned off. Also am using the freshjr mod script for qos.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Automatic actually sets it at a fixed value of 1800mbps up and down. It's broken.

You can check out my thread as to see why your gaming is getting buffer bloat and a solution.

You do not need to go the extra step and define the custom rules. Just drags the other catagory above downloads and streaming with the script active