What's new

From Nighthawk R7000 (circa 2014) to ???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gdad

New Around Here
We run multiple PC's for MMO's and stream to TV's from our Plex server. Comcast 55/5.

Running AC usb on all PC's except the Plex server which is Cat connected to the router.

Wondering if it's time to upgrade the wireless router from the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 to something else and if so top 3 choices?

Appreciate all suggestions.

Is the current router doing what you need it to do? If so, leave it be.
If your money is burning a hole in your pocket, move up to an R7800.

I'm running ping plotter to check for latency issues. We do a lot of MMO gaming as noted. Running PP on one of the downstairs gaming units (wireless and just below the router which is on the 2nd floor) I see notable variation. Running PP on the Plex server (which is hardwired to the router) I see a lot less latency. Last night we were streaming a bluray movie off the server to the Samsung 65" Smart TV and got 12-15 stoppages. Don't know if that was the movie or the connection to the router (wireless).

Situations like those lead to my questions. So I was just wondering whether the age of the router (I do keep it updated) coupled with new router hardware would make enough difference to consider changing or not.

You're probably better off replacing the USB Wi-Fi adapters than replacing the router. If you need the absolute best wireless connection, it's hard to beat a wireless router configured as a bridge. You can often connect multiple wired devices to the switch on the back too.

You're probably better off replacing the USB Wi-Fi adapters than replacing the router. If you need the absolute best wireless connection, it's hard to beat a wireless router configured as a bridge. You can often connect multiple wired devices to the switch on the back too.

I've tried various brands of AC usb units. Some variance but hard wiring, due to the distance and locations, isn't an option. I realize the R7000 was top of it's game when it came out and appears to still get good reviews. So what I'm hearing is that I can try but I'm unlikely to see any noticeable benefit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!