What's new

From RT-AC68U to RT-AX88U ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Leguar

Occasional Visitor
Changing from my old RT-AC68U to my new bought RT-AX88U,
but missing a PRINT function from my old router.

Anyone know of some fix to print the old router configuration out

??? Thanks :)

What is the PRINT function for the 68U? That sounds like exactly what I was looking for recently.

CTRL-P, or, right click and choose print or use your browsers other built-in printing functions (possibly via the menus).

I can't recall the router having its own print function.

Oh, rats. I thought it was going to export all the settings in a human-readable format.

How do others back up and restore settings? Obviously there's the built in backup & restore but that brings any setting bugs along with it. I was looking for a simple way to manually transfer my settings to a new router without having to tab through dozens of settings screens looking for changes.

Oh, rats. I thought it was going to export all the settings in a human-readable format.

How do others back up and restore settings? Obviously there's the built in backup & restore but that brings any setting bugs along with it. I was looking for a simple way to manually transfer my settings to a new router without having to tab through dozens of settings screens looking for changes.

There are a couple of scripts that you can search for (sorry, I don't have those bookmarked) that are for specific sections. But nothing for the whole router set up. But, I don't recommend that anyway (to re-enter all previous settings).

I recommend to do a full reset to factory defaults and except for very specific settings, leave everything else at defaults unless you need and fully test what changing those additional settings do for you.

The reasoning is that the latest firmware invariably brings more capabilities, including better defaults along for most (if not just certain) settings.

Simply copying the settings (even manually) from your last configuration to the latest router/firmware versions is defeating the purpose of the new hardware and software.

See my M&M Config guide in my signature below to get started with a good/known state. Any additional changes past those defaults should be for very good reasons and only after testing properly that the changes are actually needed too.

I don't disagree with the advantages of a clean start.

That said, I am not a power user and I go months (or years!) without changing anything in the settings. It was really frustrating to have to dig through all the settings screens to find the few places I'd made changes so that the new router would function.

For me personally it was port forwarding (which didn't work until I toggled off and on PNP. weird.) and parental controls. Having to re-set-up all the parental controls and re-name all the devices is exquisitely annoying.

I don't disagree with the advantages of a clean start.

That said, I am not a power user and I go months (or years!) without changing anything in the settings. It was really frustrating to have to dig through all the settings screens to find the few places I'd made changes so that the new router would function.

For me personally it was port forwarding (which didn't work until I toggled off and on PNP. weird.) and parental controls. Having to re-set-up all the parental controls and re-name all the devices is exquisitely annoying.

You don't need to be a power user to have your network as safe as it can possibly be with the latest security patches. ;)

Glad to see you got your issue resolved though. :)

I still do firmware updates, I'm explaining why not having a printout showing all of my settings is a major inconvenience.

It's not that I'm going to necessarily transfer over each and every setting, it's that it gives me a chance at finding the things I've changed.

I went from RT-AC88U to RT-AX88U. For me, the range and performance have been phenomenal improvements. Plus the hardware accelerated VPNs are icing on the cake.

Could you describe your environment a little? Maybe also the clients you're using. Thank you. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!