What's new

from XVortex to ASUSWRT-MERLIN on an ac1900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skal

New Around Here
Hello all,
actually I have a R7000 running the XVortex firmware and I would like to switch to ASUSWRT-MERLIN firmware.
I've tried to just flash the fw, but when the router reboots, it is still with the old fw. Do I miss something?
Thank you for the help:)

Hello all,
actually I have a R7000 running the XVortex firmware and I would like to switch to ASUSWRT-MERLIN firmware.
I've tried to just flash the fw, but when the router reboots, it is still with the old fw. Do I miss something?
Thank you for the help:)
Merlin does not make firmware for the R7000. The XVortex firmware is an illegal port of Merlin's firmware.

2023-11-15-11-53-15-084.jpg

Yes, you have just confirmed what I said. You do not have an Asus router, you have a Netgear router.

The "AC1900" on your router refers to its Wi-Fi capabilities, it is not a model number. The model number of your router is "R7000". Merlin doesn't make firmware for the Netgear R7000 or any other non-Asus router.

Yes, you have just confirmed what I said. You do not have an Asus router, you have a Netgear router.

The "AC1900" on your router refers to its Wi-Fi capabilities, it is not a model number. The model number of your router is "R7000". Merlin doesn't make firmware for the "R7000".

Ok, txn... I will see elsewhere. thank you anyway

At the end I've switched to it :) thank you
What about Xvortex XWRT? I think Openwrt and Ddwrt don’t support the r7000. It’s a beast of a router. I haven’t tried Fresh Tomato. One could always use the R7000 as a Dum AP attached to a mini pc running PFSense. I have done that and it works well to utilize the r7000 running stock firmware. I’m not sure if Tomato uses the right blobs to maximize the radios in the unit (Broadcom BCM4360 chip). I haven’t tried XWRT, I’m not sure of the safety of the code or how it’s been engineered.

You may try other nice firmwares, such as dd-wrt and openwrt; however, both firmwares don't support hardware acceleration.
DD-WRT
Openwrt

What about reading the posts above?
Sure. While we can discuss the specific classification in the penal code for using unauthorized firmware that involves prison time. More concerned about the safety of the code and any back doors.

Use whatever firmware you prefer at your own risk. Applies to all 3rd party firmware choices.

More concerned about the safety of the code and any back doors.
Vortex doesn't release the source code to his firmware despite numerous requests and being legally obliged to do so. So there's no way to know how secure it is.

I see he's also hiding his current release behind a Patreon paywall and only making old versions publicly available. That probably tells you all you need to know about his trustworthiness.

Use whatever firmware you prefer at your own risk. Applies to all 3rd party firmware choices.
I’m sure everyone is aware of the many risks in life. I’m sure everyone on this forum knows that with every third party firmware there are risks, and while we are at it, even upgrading firmware or an OS has risks.
There a risk to cross the road, a risk to get out of bed in the morning ( as well a risk to stay in bed). The classical risk model was introduced by Lundberg who gave the so-called Lundberg inequality. Some fascinating books about risk are “Against the Gods” by Bernstein or “Critical thinkers” by Rutherford. Many people above my mediocre intellectual capacity have studied and quoted risk, one such is “ Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed to an uncharted land.”…. Some people attribute a variation of this to Helen Keller: “Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”
Now I am just taking up valuable bandwidth and time, I would rather not discuss the penal code and the nature of risk, I think everyone on this list is probably a mature individual and can make up their own minds. I just want to chat about firmware and routers and all that stuff, and hopefully I can learn something about that from the likes of fellow contributors and you.

Vortex doesn't release the source code to his firmware despite numerous requests and being legally obliged to do so. So there's no way to know how secure it is.

I see he's also hiding his current release behind a Patreon paywall and only making old versions publicly available. That probably tells you all you need to know about his trustworthiness.
Yes that’s what makes me distrust or not even want to try his firmware. I absolutely agree with you Colin.

I just want to chat about firmware

You can't chat about this specific firmware here. You may find your posts about it disappearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!