What's new

FS: Arris SurfBoard Cable Modem - SB6190

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NowhereMan

Regular Contributor
This is a Gigabit Cable Modem, I thought I would need when I got Gigablast from Cox, turns out they have their own fiber modem to install.

Its in mint condition only used a few months. $80 shipped USA only.

• Wired modem only, does not include WIFI router or VOIP Telephone adapter, Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or Router for fast downloads
  • Requires cable internet service, if not sure your provider is cable call them to confirm.
  • Compatible with major U.S. Cable Providers
  • Internet speeds up to 1.4 Gbps download and 262 Mbps upload based on your Cable ISP subscription
  • 32 download & 8 upload channels to future proof your modem as your Cable ISP enhances service offerings
  • Supports IPv4 and IPv6 – the latest Internet standard
  • DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Last edited:
So is this modem just worthless and avoided like the plague?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You pretty much got to have more morals than ARRIS, Intel, and the rest of the companies who know this chip is defective and continue to sell it. Take the hit, and don't try and pawn it off on someone unwitting soul.

I know I did.

Ok so it's that bad? Because I was using it fine with my Cox ISP before I moved to Gigablast, and never had any issues with it. I haven't read in detail the issues it has, but sounds like they are bad? Wonder why I never had an issue?

Ok so it's that bad? Because I was using it fine with my Cox ISP before I moved to Gigablast, and never had any issues with it. I haven't read in detail the issues it has, but sounds like they are bad? Wonder why I never had an issue?

Maybe you never relied on any lag sensitive applications like VOIP, gaming or maybe the TCP streams being interrupted every few seconds didnt effect streaming video for you.

Maybe you never relied on any lag sensitive applications like VOIP, gaming or maybe the TCP streams being interrupted every few seconds didnt effect streaming video for you.
Well I do game on the Xbox, but don't remember any issues, no VOIP, and we do video streaming but never saw any issues. Was there a certain build where they fixed the issue? Maybe I have a version that wasn't defective? That kind of thing?

Might be sensitivity to different ISP head-ends - and there's a firmware out that some carriers may be pushing to modems that does help out there...

Might be sensitivity to different ISP head-ends - and there's a firmware out that some carriers may be pushing to modems that does help out there...

Well they supposedly fixed TCP (in some beta firmwares to a select few-your ISP wouldnt have pushed that to your modem nowhereman), but not UDP it is still really broke. I would have thought they would have fixed UDP first....

If you have a PUMA6 you can se for yourself how bad it is here:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

You know it is terrible when they have a tool to show you how broke your modem is...

And no, it doesn't matter what network it is on, it is bad on all of them. All we really got was yeah we are working on it from ARRIS (netdog Jan 9th) and Intel acknowledged the issue in october, but no real fix yet. Its a bad modem, its a known bunch of bad modems, its a chip the chipset maker has acknowledged is bad, they just havent fixed it. They still sell it though, can let that #1 selling modem on amazon go to waste so forget doing the right thing yo! make that money.

I have no use for it anymore it doesn't work with my new fiber connection. I never knew of the issues till I posted here. I'm just trying to not let it go to waste and recoup some costs from the purchase less than a year ago.

I have no use for it anymore it doesn't work with my new fiber connection. I never knew of the issues till I posted here. I'm just trying to not let it go to waste and recoup some costs from the purchase less than a year ago.

Please don't misunderstand I wasn't talking about you in post 11, I was talking about companies like Arris still selling it. If you want to sell it go ahead, your not some CEO padding his pockets and as far as you know yours is fine. I am just some dude on a forum, I aint judging you. Good luck man.

Please don't misunderstand I wasn't talking about you in post 11, I was talking about companies like Arris still selling it. If you want to sell it go ahead, your not some CEO padding his pockets and as far as you know yours is fine. I am just some dude on a forum, I aint judging you. Good luck man.

I didn't think you were but wasn't sure. :)

This is a Gigabit Cable Modem, I thought I would need when I got Gigablast from Cox, turns out they have their own fiber modem to install.

They actually dropped fiber to the premises? (to the house)... which modem/gateway did they provide?

Many do Fiber to the Node, and then DOCSIS 3.1 out from distribution since the coax is already there...

They actually dropped fiber to the premises? (to the house)... which modem/gateway did they provide?

Many do Fiber to the Node, and then DOCSIS 3.1 out from distribution since the coax is already there...

Yep, fiber to the modem in my comm closet, he ran it through my attic and dropped it down into my closet to the modem, which is a weird wall mounted modem, its an Alcatel-Lucent modem? Its got a fiber connection right into it. The modem has the ONT connection, Ethernet and Power button on it. I believe its the Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A Optical Network Terminal modem.

I guess its real similar to this install: http://isp1.us/blog/cox-gigablast-internet-install/

Except I can't get the 900Mbps download speeds on my 2008 MacPro for some reason, just my 2013 MacBook Pro. Both have SSDs for the main drive, and gigabit ethernet connections. Both tested on the same port with the same Cat6 cable, but this MacPro just gets around 600Mbps down.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!