What's new

FTP on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jlwood92

New Around Here
I have a RT-AC68U running Asus Merlin 380.57_0.

I am trying to port forward to allow an FTP Server hosted on my home server with a local IP of 192.168.1.4 to allow access to the outside world. Usually I would just go to the port forwarding part of the router and allow port 21 through the WAN. However, this will conflict with the native FTP server built into the router.

I do have a USB drive attached running a local NTFS share on my home network, but I don't want to give FTP access to that, instead I want to route port 21 to my home server.

The problem is whenever I disable the "Allow FTP WAN Access in the router" and then manually port forward 21, it does not work. I have also ran my local FTP sever on port 800 locally and then port forwared port 5000 to that, but still no luck.

Can someone please help me!

"Allow FTP WAN Access in the router" option is to access the router FTP server, not the home FTP server.

Just disable router FTP and redirect port 21(or other) to 192.168.1.4 server port.

"Allow FTP WAN Access in the router" option is to access the router FTP server, not the home FTP server.

Just disable router FTP and redirect port 21(or other) to 192.168.1.4 server port.

Yes, already tried that and this is where my problem arises. The port will not seem to open no matter what.

FTP.PNG

FTP1.PNG

Please see attached pictures

iptables -t nat -L VSERVER

Note: The service must be running on your home server.

SSH / Telnet terminal.

You are good, so the problem is on your home server then, make sure the service is running there.

Try this:

ftp 192.168.1.4 (on your home server) or on your windows via any ftp client app. (flashfxp, filezilla)

Note: It will only work if its a non SSL server. (ftp 192.168.1.4)

The native ftp client doesnt support SSL connections, if so you will need to use a ftps client instead or curl to make the test.

Last edited:
You are good, so the problem is on your home server then, make sure the service is running there.

Try this:

ftp 192.168.1.4 (on your home server) or on your windows via any ftp client app. (flashfxp, filezilla)

Note: It will only work if its a non SSL server. (ftp 192.168.1.4)

The native ftp client doesnt support SSL connections, if so you will need to use sftp instead.

I can connect from my laptop onto the server locally using Filezilla on my laptop...

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

So the problem has to be the external port surely?

Please help!

Try a different port, 666 to 192.168.1.4:21 for example and delete the current ftp-data and ftp ports.

Please tell me, is your ASUS RT-AC68U your main router? You can see a WAN IP address on it right?

Please tell me, is your ASUS RT-AC68U your main router? You can see a WAN IP address on it right?
Yes, infact if I enable the native FTP client on the router, I can access the contents of the attached USB drive no problem via my WAN IP or DDNS hostname.

I'm so confused!

Hello guys

I am having the same issues here.
I have an AC68U and I am able to log into the FTP server when I am home connected to the LAN (wifi), but when I am not at work home, using my data plan, the FTP does not connect...
The intresting is, at home, I can connect to FTP using 192.168.1.1 AND using the DDNS address.
One more thing. I know the DDNS is working because I also use the openvpn with no issues...

Can anyone please help me?

Thx

Enviado de meu ASUS_Z012DA usando Tapatalk

I am having the same issues here.
No you're not. The OP's problem was connecting to an FTP server on his LAN, not the FTP server on the router (which worked OK).

What firmware version are you running?
Have you enabled WAN access for FTP in the router's web interface?

If you're running the OpenVPN server on your router you could just access FTP through that using the 192.168.1.1 address. It would be more secure anyway because FTP is an insecure protocol.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!