What's new

FTP server while in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

debart

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC3100, Merlin 386.5

Using this in conjunction with an existing google wifi mesh system. The Asus runs in AP mode because the google wifi has to be router in order for its mesh functions to work. I'm using the Asus as local smb server (working) and I hope to use it as WAN FTP server, too (not working).

I've forwarded port 20:21 to the asus. FTP client can log in, but when trying to list directory, it says "server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead" followed by "data connection could not be established". The google router has no DMZ functionality, so that is out.

What can I do here? (Converting the whole setup to AI mesh routers isn't really an option since sister likes her existing google mesh with its decor friendly looks and she doesn't want to spend more money.)

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Can you remove release tag as you don't release anything.

The reason you're receiving the message "server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead" is because the once the FTP client establishes the connection on the control channel, it's trying to enable passive (PASV) mode, which requires the FTP server to send back both its public IP and data channel port to the client, which the client is then expected to use to establish the data connection. But in AP mode, the FTP server is sending back its *private* IP on the local network, which is NOT routable over the internet, so the FTP client complains.

Regardless, that shouldn't prevent the establishment of the data channel connection; the client will typically just default to the public IP that was used for the control channel. The bigger problem is the port. The FTP server opens a port just for that one FTP client in a specific range. And so the primary router has to forward that same range of ports in order for this to work (not unless you resort to using the DMZ on the primary router, which is apparently NOT an option in your case).

I dug around and found the the FTP server (vsftpd) is using the following passive port range (min to max).

Code:
pasv_min_port=57530
pasv_max_port=57560

So again, you need to port forward this range to the FTP server.

And as @octopus requested, please remove the Release tag. That's only for developers and script authors who are releasing/updating firmware or scripts.

And as @octopus requested, please remove the Release tag. That's only for developers and script authors who are releasing/updating firmware or scripts.
My apologies. I thought that was to indicate what version I was using. Looks like the mods have fixed it.

The reason you're receiving the message "server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead" is because the once the FTP client establishes the connection on the control channel, it's trying to enable passive (PASV) mode, which requires the FTP server to send back both its public IP and data channel port to the client, which the client is then expected to use to establish the data connection. But in AP mode, the FTP server is sending back its *private* IP on the local network, which is NOT routable over the internet, so the FTP client complains.

Regardless, that shouldn't prevent the establishment of the data channel connection; the client will typically just default to the public IP that was used for the control channel. The bigger problem is the port. The FTP server opens a port just for that one FTP client in a specific range. And so the primary router has to forward that same range of ports in order for this to work (not unless you resort to using the DMZ on the primary router, which is apparently NOT an option in your case).

I dug around and found the the FTP server (vsftpd) is using the following passive port range (min to max).

Code:
pasv_min_port=57530
pasv_max_port=57560

So again, you need to port forward this range to the FTP server.

Thank you. This works perfectly !!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!