What's new

FTP Usage and USB NAS Backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Davedave

New Around Here
A couple quick thoughts/questions as I work through transitioning to the AC68U:

-Is there a way to run the router hardware FTP off of anything else other than a USB connected drive. It looks like not, but this sure would be a nice feature. Right now this feels like a partial FTP implementation.

-If trying to set up some external hard drives connected to the USB ports, how would one possibly back them up? Generally I always have all of my computer connected hard drives set to create backup images on a regular basis. I did see some documentation around Time Machine, but this is Mac based only. I wonder why they didn't include a Windows based backup option.

Has anyone else found a good solution? Do people not backup their USB connected drives to the router?

Dave

I built a freenas box ftp...You could put a usb drive on the router but, speed is alot slower (30 megabytes} vs my freenas box does 110 megabytes a sec... I would just build a nas box.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thanks, FreeNAS is new to me so I'll do some research.

I do wonder what the difference of this type of setup would be versus my old config, which was a dedicated server computer with hard drives mounted by USB (2.0) or SATA.

The reason I like the router connected USB option for the hard drives rather than the server option is it theoretically puts the hard drive closer to their point of use, which is over the network. I assume USB 3.0 direct to the router would be better than a server connected to the router through CAT5 running external USB 2.0 hard drives.

Nope.... I have 7 2tb is raidz-1....a router can never beat a freenas box. Raidz1 allows for one drive to fall and no data loss... They have up to raidz3...software is free. I learned the hard way about hdd crashing and losing alot of data... Ethernet gigabit with failure tolerance ftw... I built a cheap amd build... 50 cpu mobo memory case was 30 bux psu was about 70... And it's compatible with apple and pc... Web gui interface... Easy to upgrade... It's just a winning situation.
Hdds are cheaper now when i got my 7x2tb they were 129.99 Seagate btw now 4tb are 159.99 or less. Best part is freenas isn't windows, my box runs for months without slow down or anything.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!