What's new

Ftp?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsmiddleton4

Very Senior Member
Just checking....

With Toastman's or Tomato versions I can Filezilla or WindowsSCP into the root of the router as well as the attached devices.

With Merlin's or Asus's FW I can FTP in but only to the attached devices.

Often times when that kind of thing for me is a picnic, "Problem in Chair Not in Computer".

So I wanted to check as to whether or not I should be able to see the root and the router files with Merlin's and if so what am I doing wrong?

I have FTP enabled with password in the router. I can access the router and the attached drives quite easily.

FTP only allows access to the folder you share through the web interface. This is in part done by security and for simplicity (the goal of FTP is to allow access to the files shared over USB, not to the router's read-only filesystem).

If you want to get access to another folder on the router, you will have to use a custom vsftpd.conf config.

Speaking of FTP, it would be great to have (1) anonymous ftp, and (2) being to able to set home folder, per-user.

Not so much access to another folder, access to the router root directory. The Tomato variants you can get into the guts if you will of the firmware not just the attached storage devices.

So multiple user access each with their own level of access?

You can modify vsftpd.conf to setup whichever configuration you need.

How do you modify vsftp.conf if we can't FTP to files on the root of the router?

Telenet and VI?

Or put the file on a USB disk and copy it manually over telnet. Plenty of ways to do so. Just have to be sure that the modified version is saved with UNIX encoding, not Windows/DOS encoding.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!