What's new

Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 scanner and RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

huotg01

I just bought the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 scanner. I'm using the RT-N66U with RMerlin modified firmware (.24)

I know that I can connect it directly to my laptop using the USB interface, but since I can connect a printer to the RT-N66U, can I instead connect the scanner and use the scanner without the need to connect it to my laptop?

Also, after reading the thread recently opened about SANE, I see a possible different approach, but I don't really understand the whole context.

Could someone help me to better understand, with pros and cons, the possible approaches ?

Thanks

Just to understand and to adjust myself, why is there no answers:
  1. The question is too complex and requires more than a few words to give hints?
  2. Nobody knows?
  3. The question is completely dumb and doesn't deserve an answer ?
  4. The question should be asked somewhere else ?
  5. Others...
Thanks

It sounds like you want to plug the Fujitsu iX500 scanner directly into the rear USB port of an Asus WiFi router. First of all, from the Fujitsu docs: "Note: The ScanSnap does not conform to the TWAIN, ISIS and WIA standards." Thus am doubting that anyone's sort of generic experience hooking up a Twain- or WIA (Windows Image Acquistion)-compatible device to the version of Linux in the Asuswrt-Merlin WiFi router, is going to give you everything you need to get your particular scanner going.

Secondly, my guess is that your 50-page-sides-per-minute Fujitsu scanner has not been purchased to do leisurely 30-seconds-per-page scanning. Since the Asus-router-as-scanner-controller performance is likely to be so poor if you ever did get it running with the Fujitsu ix500, it is hard to imagine that it will ever be useful to put the two together. You certainly will not find a big Wiki anywhere full of tons of people working on that exact project.

Now according to page 47 or so of the Snapscan user manual, Fujitsu does have Android/iPad device apps. That let you do low-quality scanning directly through its onboard 802.11n WiFi equipment, to one of those mobile devices that are in WiFi contact with the Asus router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!