What's new

Full Cone or Symetric NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Could someone explain the differences in basic terms of the above setting?

I could find little information online, my understanding from what I could find is the Full Cone leaves permanently open ports to devices, whereas symetric closes the ports except when required by upnp / portforwarding.

Is there any advantage performance wise to one over the other?

No. Only if you're playing games online (it lets you become the 'host', I understand). Not faster, just 'bragging rights' AFAICS. :)

No. Only if you're playing games online (it lets you become the 'host', I understand). Not faster, just 'bragging rights' AFAICS. :)

Ok will leave it, I don't want to be host, you get lag compensated if you are host. There used to be a trick on call of duty to lower your speeds with bandwidth restriction deliberately so you did not become host :)

Ok will leave it, I don't want to be host, you get lag compensated if you are host. There used to be a trick on call of duty to lower your speeds with bandwidth restriction deliberately so you did not become host :)
I remember when the cheaters used lag switches that temporarily cut their own internet connection on purpose when we played Call of Duty on the PS3. You would be aiming and ready to take out an enemy and then the entire screen would suddenly freeze and your character would lag in slow motion while the cheater ran around at full speed while taking out you and your entire team.

The lag compensation was a feature built into the game programming to compensate for the disadvantage that players with a slower and laggier internet connection had during live online gaming. The programming would actually slow down the data from every other player with better internet connections until the data from that player with the bad connection caught up. Unfortunately it put the players with better connections at a disadvantage since it was used by cheaters to gain an unfair advantage when they purposefully cut and then restored their own internet connection with an on off switch or button pressed device.

In the new Call of Duty online games they changed the programming to detect and help avoid this from happening and the cheaters now get banned.

Last edited:
I remember when the cheaters used lag switches that temporarily cut their own internet connection on purpose when we played Call of Duty on the PS3. You would be aiming and ready to take out an enemy and then the entire screen would suddenly freeze and your character would lag in slow motion while the cheater ran around at full speed while taking out you and your entire team.

The lag compensation was a feature built into the game programming to compensate for the disadvantage that players with a slower and laggier internet connection had during live online gaming. The programming would actually slow down the data from every other player with better internet connections until the data from that player with the bad connection caught up. Unfortunately it put the players with better connections at a disadvantage since it was used by cheaters to gain an unfair advantage when they purposefully cut and then restored their own internet connection with an on off switch or button pressed device.

In the new Call of Duty online games they changed the programming to detect and help avoid this from happening and the cheaters now get banned.
I never resorted to lag switches, but I did reduce my upload to 1mb to avoid being made a host :)

Does symmetric or fullcone makes you a host? :) I didnt see that info anywhere yet

I know that link, and I will still repeat my questions since it is not clearly stated there

I know that link, and I will still repeat my questions since it is not clearly stated there
I do not believe "Full Cone" or "Symmetric" NAT Routers have anything to do with how the "host" is determined. From my experience, I've been "host" several times when playing Call Of Duty (Multiplayer) with both Full Cone and Symmetric NAT Routers.