What's new

Fun With Rsync And More On The WD My Book Live

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mixsta

New Around Here
First off, thank you to SNB for the great content. Being a relative newbie to the NAS scene, the articles on SNB have helped me immensely. :)

I recently bought a Synology DS213 as my primary NAS and a WD My Book Live 3TB as my secondary NAS. My plan is to use the My Book Live as an rsync destination for the DS213.

I've followed Fun With Rsync And More On The WD My Book Live and I'm able to rsync successfully.

However, when the My Book Live reboots (eg. after a power cut), the DS213 no longer recognises the My Book Live as an rsync destination. In order to get it working again, I need to start rsync again using the command:

/etc/init.d/rsync restart

At which point the following message appears:

Restarting rsync daemon: rsyncrsync daemon not running, attempting to start. (warning).

I'm assuming this means that rsync has not been started automatically during boot. Also because there is no entry in rsync.log before I start rsync manually.

Is there a way to start rsync automatically whenever the My Book Live boots? I'm wary of bricking the My Book Live, so I'm not keen on experimenting on my own. :confused:

Have you tried this question in the right section of the WD users' forum? Probably hard to find someone savvy enough on rsynch among WD buyers.

automatic boot start-up

Great article!
For automatic start-up at boot time a symbolic link must be created in directory /etc/rc2.d

MyBookLive:/etc/rc2.d# ln -s ../init.d/rsync S91rsync

Best Regards
Ch.F.

Thanks, Ch.F. I've updated the article with your tip.

I hope that someone is still reading this and can help me out?

Firstly, thanks for the original post in explaining how to do this. Secondly, as far as working with linux goes, I am a complete novice but I am fairly confident that I have done everything correctly as I have checked and double-checked the files I created and edited. I don't get any errors on the Putty window when applying the settings or restarting the daemon.

So I'm trying to attach to my WD My Book Live from my new AsusTOR AS5104T but I'm unable to setup the rsync job on the AS4104T. I get an error saying "Unable to obtain module list due to insufficient access rights. (Ref 5001)"

The only difference I can see from the instructions and my setup is that on the As5104 there's no field to specify the remote path to the WD, only IP address, username and Password.

Thanks in advance

The article was done in 2012. Firmware changes since then could have made the method described in the article no longer work.

I guess that's quite possible although all the options are still there on the WD.

Can anyone who did this confirm if it still works please?

Well I'm doing this in December 2016 and so far it seems to work (Enabling SSH, enabling rsync, the config files and the init.d bit too). Testing it now but I guess it should work.

Working perfectly! I even used Windows 10's new Bash Utility to send some job over to the MyBookLive and it worked perfectly (cron is a different beast but there are workarounds). Brilliant!

I've followed the instructions and when I get to 'test' it says success. But no destination is listed in the QNAP. Log file on WD gives a lot of 'name or service not known' and

2016/12/19 01:07:21 [27408] auth failed on module rsync from unknown (192.168.1.15): unauthorized user.

Double checked, rsyncd.secrets contains root:root and thats what I'm logging in as. Share rsync is public.

Any guesses to where I go from here?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!