What's new

Functions in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

philt

New Around Here
Hi, I have a a question about a (possibly) unusual setup. I have an ISP provided mesh wifi which works well and gives good coverage, but limits configuration e.g. can't choose DNS Servers, No OpenVPN server for remote home access etc.
I have to use this router as the main router as I have digital voice (Phone service) and it doesn't seem to work if I put the ISP router behind the (single) ASUS router I have

I want to keep my clients connecting to the ISP routers WIFI, but keep my ASUS router on the same subnet (I guess in AP mode) but have it serving DHCP/DNS etc. so I can disable DHCP on the ISP router and have the ASUS router provide DHCP where I can give out the DNS servers I want e.g. the ASUS itself (pointing onwards to say 1.1.1.1 and...so I can use things like adblocker)

However, if I configure in AP mode - DHCP Server is no longer available in the GUI, nor are things like the DDNS Client or OpenVPN Server...all things I'd like to use
Is there a way for me to achieve this given my clients will always be clients of the ISPs router?
I can't use router mode as this would mean my clients would be on the WAN side of the ASUS router

I think what I'm basically asking...is can I use a single ASUS router running asuswrt-merlin like a pi-hole? (I'm trying to re-use what I have rather than go out an buy something else)

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited:
No. Those functions are tightly integrated around it being in router mode. While theoretically some of those functions (like DHCP/DNS) could be present in AP mode that's not the way Asus designed the firmware. While possible, it would require significant custom scripting to manually add those functions to AP mode.

@ColinTaylor, thanks for the quick reply. That's a shame, but understand - thanks...guess I'll have to try and scavenge an old pi and set it all up there

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!