What's new

Future predictions - which AX router will be supported longest?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grogi

Occasional Visitor
I have been very fortunate with my RT-AC68u purchase. It is more than 8 years at this stage, but it is still very well supported by Merlin firmware. Some models from same era - AC66, AC87 - are not.

I know it is extremely speculative and depends on many external factors - but if you were to predict future, which model of the current lineup would be supported longest?

My bet would be GT-AX6000. Great router, and balanced hardware (CPU, RAM, Ports, etc.).

Not to discount the (also) great RT-AX86U, but now worth less than the above, for bang for the buck.

As always, don't buy at full price. Buy when on sale (Black Friday is right around the corner).

My bet would be GT-AX6000. Great router, and balanced hardware (CPU, RAM, Ports, etc.).

Not to discount the (also) great RT-AX86U, but now worth less than the above, for bang for the buck.

As always, don't buy at full price. Buy when on sale (Black Friday is right around the corner).
The GT-AX6000 has been out for nearly a year now so would it be correct to assume that any issues that might be adverse to performance would have come to the surface by now?

I honestly think the GT-AX11000 will be supported for awhile too...at least I hope it will.

Yes, it should be, but the bang for the buck is much less compelling.

The GT-AX6000 seems to be a nice sweet spot, a bit spendy, but it has some nice features like the two 2.5 GbE ports(WAN and LAN).

I've been hoping that the RT-AX86U-Pro would grace us with its appearance, but as far as I know, it's still in the ether somewhere.

Or at least get a look at the specs.

Any non-released models today, will only be worth considering in a year or more, after, their release.

While the few facts about that model point to a barely 'Pro' designation today, the unproven part is what would make it worthwhile to support it longterm (or not).

I've been hoping that the RT-AX86U-Pro would grace us with its appearance, but as far as I know, it's still in the ether somewhere.

Or at least get a look at the specs.
Saw this news today:

The ASUS RT-AX86U Pro gaming router has been announced and is already available for pre-order in China. The RT-AX86U Pro is equipped with a quad-core 16nm chip from Broadcom with an operating frequency of 2.0GHz.

It has 1GB of memory and is equipped with a dedicated gaming port that gets priority when transferring data. The device supports RangeBoost + technology, in addition, the router provides improved Wi-Fi coverage by 16% compared to the previous model. W

Declared support for Wi-Fi 6, Mesh, IPv6. There is a game mode that can be enabled through the mobile app. Secure network access is provided by the AiProtecton Pro system. The RT-AX86U Pro router has 3 built-in antennas.

The ASUS RT-AX86U Pro router is priced at $225. Sales of new items will start on September 25.

Improved WiFi coverage by 16%, hmm... To which previous model? All of them are previous.

I know myself well enough to know that it doesn't really matter how long it is supported--I'm always going to chase the shiny objects. Course, I'm also still using my N16, N66 and AC56.

Improved WiFi coverage by 16%, hmm... To which previous model? All of them are previous.
I presume it means compared to the AX86U, and also that there are in fact 4 antennae, with 3 external + 1 on PCB, as in the predecessor also.

@OPR, when marketing blurbs speak, have a salt mine nearby.

16% larger area covered is less than 10 linear feet, is what I would presume. A non-issue in any normal WiFi environment.

I have been very fortunate with my RT-AC68u purchase. It is more than 8 years at this stage, but it is still very well supported by Merlin firmware. Some models from same era - AC66, AC87 - are not.

I know it is extremely speculative and depends on many external factors - but if you were to predict future, which model of the current lineup would be supported longest?
AX88U

For starters look at how many years it has already been supported, then think about how many more years do you think they will continue. IIRC, They already have a new revision.

AX88U

For starters look at how many years it has already been supported, then think about how many more years do you think they will continue. IIRC, They already have a new revision.
Surprisingly this older model AX router is getting a lot of attention lately. On Wi-Fi Alliance website it's still one of the few Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6™ Asus routers. In my own experience it has better range than AX86U.
The AX88U is also my bet (see footer) - given the latest SDK and GPL updates, the quotes are raising at my local bookmaker... :cool: ;)
It runs now over 2 years and counting - so my initial bet is starting to pay back! :)

On the other hand, my crystal ball is getting quite foggy, when I try to look into the later years of this decade... o_O :D

So the final answer is: buy a router that suits you NOW the best and run it for some years - then buy ANOTHER one when you see the need!

Last edited:
@OPR, when marketing blurbs speak, have a salt mine nearby.

16% larger area covered is less than 10 linear feet, is what I would presume. A non-issue in any normal WiFi environment.
Does Amazon have salt mines? Pls link, as I'm in the market for a modest one at reasonable money ... ;)

(my side hustle is being the Admin for an Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune and we need somewhere to store recalcitrant members anyhow, but I suppose a boron mine would do at a pinch)

Last edited:
AX88U is also my bet, got 3 of them more than 3y ago for a mesh and the support and performance is probably still close to SOTA. Interesting is also that the price actually went up by 10% since then here...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!