What's new

FW 3.0.0.4.246 is officially out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Parental Controls are still broken in this version, testing QOS and other stuff will update when I can.

Chris

Changelog

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.246
Fix:
1. DMZ and HW accelerator coexist issue.
2. Some 3G modem issues
3. Can't reset to default through Software Button when AiCloud is enabled.
4. WPS related issues.
5. VPN dns issue in Android/iOS
6. Guest network cannot get an IP address in AP mode.
7. Buffer overrun problem. Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.

Modify
1. Add enhanced interference management option for 2.4GHz in Advanced settings->wireless-> Professional
2. Add GRO option in Advanced settings->LAN->Switch control.
Please disable it if there are problems in UPnP and port forwarding.
3. Add firmware version checking in Quick Internet Setup process.
4. Wireless is configurable in media bridge mode
5. Add PIN code error alerting for USB modem
6. WPS button can be configured as wifi on/off button

AiCoud (for more information, please refer to http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/aicloud/index.htm)
1. Modify web user interface.
2. Folder is shareable with shared link.
3. The media files can be previewed when received the share link for folder.
4. Redirect mp3 https share link to MP3 player on IOS device.
5. Fixed the large file renaming problem
6. Fixed some UI issues.

Parental Controls are still broken in this version, testing QOS and other stuff will update when I can.

Chris

I updated to the latest fw and tried to set up a pc to the Parental Controls
and everything lokks ok - could you set it up or was it broken when you tried to
set up a client ?

FW 3.0.0.4.246 is officially out

Yes , I installed it and had to 2 power off and on , 1 short and 1 longer , about 20 minutes before I could access the web gui. I miss RMerlins add ons already and wait for a newer one from him.....

Changelog

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.246
Fix:
1. DMZ and HW accelerator coexist issue.
2. Some 3G modem issues
3. Can't reset to default through Software Button when AiCloud is enabled.
4. WPS related issues.
5. VPN dns issue in Android/iOS
6. Guest network cannot get an IP address in AP mode.
7. Buffer overrun problem. Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.

Modify
1. Add enhanced interference management option for 2.4GHz in Advanced settings->wireless-> Professional
2. Add GRO option in Advanced settings->LAN->Switch control.
Please disable it if there are problems in UPnP and port forwarding.
3. Add firmware version checking in Quick Internet Setup process.
4. Wireless is configurable in media bridge mode
5. Add PIN code error alerting for USB modem
6. WPS button can be configured as wifi on/off button

AiCoud (for more information, please refer to http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/aicloud/index.htm)
1. Modify web user interface.
2. Folder is shareable with shared link.
3. The media files can be previewed when received the share link for folder.
4. Redirect mp3 https share link to MP3 player on IOS device.
5. Fixed the large file renaming problem
6. Fixed some UI issues.

Gratz on the shoutout Merlin! :D

Why not available for auto update?

Does anyone know why neither .246, .220 nor .188 is available through the auto update function in the routers firmware? I have .164 and when I check "update" it says that I have the latest firmware.

Should the three latest firmwares be seen as Beta versions or am I missing something? I've had to RT-AC66 bricked (not during firmware update) already so I'm now very cautious about any modifications but I like to have the latest versions.

Does anyone know why neither .246, .220 nor .188 is available through the auto update function in the routers firmware? I have .164 and when I check "update" it says that I have the latest firmware.

Should the three latest firmwares be seen as Beta versions or am I missing something? I've had to RT-AC66 bricked (not during firmware update) already so I'm now very cautious about any modifications but I like to have the latest versions.

No, it's just that the online checker seems to be only half-working. All those releases since 164 are full, official releases. Just download and flash them manually.

Upgrading is strongly recommended. A lot of issues have been fixed since 164.

There are still a ton of problems here.

I have yet to get UPNP to work, particularly with Server 2012 Essentials Remote Web.

Manual port-forwarding does not appear to work. I have been unable to forward port 443 to my server.

There is a bug in the DMZ interface. As a test, I tried setting my Server as the DMZ. Forwarding of Port 443 to the server still failed, but worse yet you can't clear a DMZ once you set it. The instructions state to erase the entry field and hit reply, but when you do you get an error that states "Field must not be blank". Wonderful :) I had to do a restore to factory defaults to get rid of it.

DNLA streaming does not appear to be working.

You can't delete shares from within the SAMBA manager. They won't go away, and eventually you get "Failed to delete" errors when trying to do so. Even if you remove them over the network with a PC, they still show up in the SAMBA manager and you can't do anything with them.

As a test, I tried setting a port forward using Windows 8 and the router prefs in the network window. It failed.

There is only one reason I continue to put up with this. This router is SCREAMING FAST! I am almost fully saturating the Gigabit network between the Windows 8 and Server 2012 machines. It's by far the best performing router I've ever owned.

But.... These issues really need addressing immediately. Other than for basic router services, it's been useless to me so far :(

An update on the Port Forwarding and UPnP issue...

It turns out that the ASUS Firmware does not allow UPNP to manage ports below 1024.

That's fine, but there should be an option in the BIOS to enable this. It should also be documented so no one else has to spend 2 weeks tearing their hair out trying to figure out whats wrong !

I toggled the GRO option in the Switch Settings and now it appears manually entering port 443 to forward to server 2012 Essentials is allowing remote access.

DNLA is still busted. It just flat-out doesn't seem to work.

Also, managing Samba shares is a mess. Trying to delete folders simply doesn't work.

It turns out that the ASUS Firmware does not allow UPNP to manage ports below 1024.

I suspect they might be doing that either for a security reason, or to avoid conflicts with the router (if you were to redirect port 443 through uPNP, you would then break AiCloud which also uses that port).

miniupnp config file used by the firmware (guess I need to make that one customizable in my firmware):

admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# more /etc/upnp/config
ext_ifname=eth0
listening_ip=192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0
port=0
enable_upnp=yes
enable_natpmp=yes
secure_mode=yes
upnp_forward_chain=FUPNP
upnp_nat_chain=VUPNP
notify_interval=60
system_uptime=yes
friendly_name=RT-AC66U
model_number=3.0.0.4.246.19
serial=C5IA0B000096

clean_ruleset_interval=600
clean_ruleset_threshold=20
presentation_url=http://192.168.10.1
uuid=4c9191f2-77dc-47a3-84ea-77e05a6f9182

allow 1024-65535 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0 1024-65535

deny 0-65535 0.0.0.0/0 0-65535

Ramdon disconnects

Since upgrading to this New firmware, from 165, QOS feature does no work that great, also still get random disconnects.

An update on the Port Forwarding and UPnP issue...

That's fine, but there should be an option in the BIOS to enable this. It should also be documented so no one else has to spend 2 weeks tearing their hair out trying to figure out whats wrong !

I toggled the GRO option in the Switch Settings and now it appears manually entering port 443 to forward to server 2012 Essentials is allowing remote access.

DNLA is still busted. It just flat-out doesn't seem to work.

Also, managing Samba shares is a mess. Trying to delete folders simply doesn't work.

While digging through the code I discovered you can override those limitations by manually setting a few nvram values:

upnp_min_port_int
upnp_max_port_int
upnp_min_port_ext
upnp_max_port_ext

You could set these this way (over telnet):

nvram set upnp_min_port_int=1
nvram set upnp_max_port_int=65535
nvram set upnp_min_port_ext=1
nvram set upnp_max_port_ext=65535
nvram commit
reboot

This would allow the full 1-65535 ports to be controled by miniupnpd.

As I mentioned in another (wrong) thread, two annoying bugs remain

In the release notes it says that the WLAN menu should now appear in bridge mode. It doesn't! So no idea how they messed that up. There is no way to switch-off the 2.4Ghz radio on the rt-ac66u running in bridge mode.

If the main router is running on 5Ghz channels above 48, the bridge mode router will not find/connect to it. Rediculous bug!

I just found out my 5Ghz channel is non-functional now as well. I need to reboot, just have to find a time when the network is free :)

Oh, and I finally got WebAccess working by just manually forwarding 443 to the server. That was NOT working prior to this firmware update.

I also had to make that change in.... crap, I forget now. Oh, yes. In the SWITCH menu. I forget the name of it but it's listed in the release notes for this firmware as an apparent cure for port forwarding not working.

You can't delete shares from within the SAMBA manager. They won't go away, and eventually you get "Failed to delete" errors when trying to do so. Even if you remove them over the network with a PC, they still show up in the SAMBA manager and you can't do anything with them.

Yes this is a known bug for people who are new to computers and have no ideas how modern security and OS architecture is working.

I won't go explain to you how Linux/OSX/Windows work, but you can google most of it.

In 99,99999% of the cases where a Linux system is refusing to delete a folder, although permissions set right, its because of the simple fact it's not empty!

Now I can explain you all the details how to visualize hidden OSX/Linux/Windows files in OSX/Linux/Windows but it would take a long time of typing.. simply google for your OS how to bring up those hidden files..
".DS_Store" are nastly leftovers from OSX..
".db" are leftovers from Windows..
".Trashes" can be OSX or Linux/depening on your version..

just to name a few of the maybe over thousand leftovers by Operating Systems..

search for them on your drive.. delete them.. and then you can remove the folder from the GUI.. this is NOT a bug.. it's a feature of Linux security to avoid accidental loss.

You can also telnet or SSH into the router and use the terminal to unhide all files and get rid of them.. or get even rid of the shared directory itself from the terminal..

but for people who are real newbies to the computer scene, I'd simply advise to use your OS you like to work on.. google to unhide hidden files from everything:samba shares, ext2, ext3, ntfs, etc..delete what you want to delete.. and make sure to HIDE everything afterwards..to avoid accidental deleting files you shouldn't delete.. ie. system files.. worst even deleting boot files without knowing what your doing..

so be very careful if you are unexperienced and trying to override the linux kernel security of your router.

Really :rolleyes:

Yes this is a known bug for people who are new to computers and have no ideas how modern security and OS architecture is working.

I won't go explain to you how Linux/OSX/Windows work, but you can google most of it.

In 99,99999% of the cases where a Linux system is refusing to delete a folder, although permissions set right, its because of the simple fact it's not empty!

Now I can explain you all the details how to visualize hidden OSX/Linux/Windows files in OSX/Linux/Windows but it would take a long time of typing.. simply google for your OS how to bring up those hidden files..
".DS_Store" are nastly leftovers from OSX..
".db" are leftovers from Windows..
".Trashes" can be OSX or Linux/depening on your version..

just to name a few of the maybe over thousand leftovers by Operating Systems..

search for them on your drive.. delete them.. and then you can remove the folder from the GUI.. this is NOT a bug.. it's a feature of Linux security to avoid accidental loss.

You can also telnet or SSH into the router and use the terminal to unhide all files and get rid of them.. or get even rid of the shared directory itself from the terminal..

but for people who are real newbies to the computer scene, I'd simply advise to use your OS you like to work on.. google to unhide hidden files from everything:samba shares, ext2, ext3, ntfs, etc..delete what you want to delete.. and make sure to HIDE everything afterwards..to avoid accidental deleting files you shouldn't delete.. ie. system files.. worst even deleting boot files without knowing what your doing..

so be very careful if you are unexperienced and trying to override the linux kernel security of your router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!